Author Topic: Open system  (Read 3180 times)

Offline vieja escuela

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Open system
« on: July 14, 2008, 05:39:30 AM »
Well the rolemaster is my favorite, and most complet system. On the other hand always to had a couple of failures in conformity with realism,
1) is very rigid ..if an aborigine spent his adolescencia in the center of australia and is a hunter/recollector and later is gathered by the social services, adopted in sidney and goes to the university and others. The whole life would have hunter's recollector costs .
2) It is a very rigid tb in the trainings so that someone cannot learn nevermore of 2 ranges in an skill.

For the people who prefers a different, great system of professions more opened and more personal I have an option that with would take tb the modification of some skills.

If the people are interested, I will be exposing it little by little and discussing every part(report)

Offline Langthorne

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Interrogator: "Do you know who we are?!"
Re: Open system
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 04:37:41 PM »
Profession in Rolemaster refers to (mainly) aptitude for learning skills. It is true that once the character's aptitude for learning skills is set, it may not be changed.

If the said Aborigine did go to university, that would suggest he has the aptitude for it, meaning that his skill costs for academic study might not necessarily be prohibitively high. Before moving to Sydney he just didn't develop all of the skills he had an aptitude for (maybe he didn't have a great aptitude for hunting and gathering in the first place!).

It is not uncommon for players to want cheaper skill costs for the skills they happen to want at any given time, and then change those costs as it suits them. Naturally, my response is "tough luck, suck it up - role play your character's struggle to learn things outside his comfort zone". Or, to continue with our hypothetical scenario - move back to the desert if you aren't happy at university.
:flame:

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 05:10:35 PM »
 I agree with Langthorne but I would still like to see what you have come up with. Also it really depends on what system you are useing RMSS, RMFRP, RM2 or RMC as to what is or may be unbalancing.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Langthorne

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 05:34:17 PM »
I too am interested in your open system (I should have mentioned that).

Offline vieja escuela

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:07:58 AM »
Ok then , since there are interested people, i will  publishing on that the system is based and as the dps are situated the costs etc.
At first(In principle) the system has to very much to the vision of other systems totally opened like runequest, encourages etc.

Offline vieja escuela

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 09:09:25 AM »
Provided that my Englishman is sickening, I will ask for a hand to go translating it, the first episode distribution points PDS, I wait to send it tomorrow

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:56:41 AM »
Might I suggest publishing it as a series of articles in the Guild Companion? That seems a much better idea to me, then posting it fully in here.  ;D

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 01:10:45 PM »
 Also if it is very like a system or a combination of systems there might be copyright problems.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Langthorne

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 05:14:38 PM »
All systems have significant similarities, so I think there would have to be a certain amount of latitude given. Rolemaster started as a supplement for D&D (I'm pretty sure), and even when it brought out a completely new (and massively better) system, there were still plenty of similarities to D&D (which had plenty of similarities to earlier systems and ideas).

Maybe a precis posted on the boards followed by a longer article, or series of articles in the Guild Companion?

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Even in the face of Armageddon......
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 01:57:43 AM »
we used to run a cross proffession system for this very situation, you just pick the new prof and average the costs, after all your never going to be as adept as the pure version of the prof you become.

Worked very well in a campaign moving characters from modern to fantasy.

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline vieja escuela

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 10:13:49 AM »
I have been  thinking about it, and  I will try that they publish the article in the guild compani?n though I do not believe that they do it.
On the other hand I do not try to publish a new system. But a modification of RM for the one that wants a system totally opened but it is rolemaster.

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 05:02:06 PM »
PM Nicholas, outline what you have and see if it is something they can use, after all if you never try you never know, otherwise create the article and add it to the vault here and also to the download section on rpgRM.com it's in it's newest form, and still under test, but ready to recieve articles and files...

it never hurts to publish something in multiple places as then it will have more exposure...

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 05:49:32 PM »
1) I would prefer to see it as one or more articles on The Guild Companion

2) Nicholas is out of touch (no computer access) until around the 10th, so don't expect an answer from him before then, but I agree, go ahead and send him a PM.

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 06:08:31 PM »
I am looking forward for reading those (yet-to-be-published) articles.

I have been toying with the idea of getting rid of levels. However I never managed to find the time to do so (first, complete other projects, then move to a new one). I'd like to read how you tweaked the system.

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 01:39:22 AM »
like many things on the web, if you get exposure, you get people to view what you have to say.

TGC is an excelent publication, and I wouldn't hestitate using them as the first port of call for an article you may have.

Once the month is out, and the current issue is over, then look at posting the article, with a link and thankyou to TGC in other places, ResourceMasters, The Vault and anywhere else interested in taking such an article.

In that way, you get more chance to get your words read, TGC get more links and thus a better chance of getting more visitors and the other sites you use also get a little boast, which is a way to try to enhance the profile of ICE games as a whole.

After all we are living in interesting times with companies falling by the wayside, so every little thing we can do to help our favored games has to be seen as a good thing.

Offline vieja escuela

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 04:12:32 AM »
I am preparing the document, since I write very badly in English and my friend the philologist marries this way that this very busy. It if I will try to hang it also on the files of the forum