Author Topic: Alignment/Corruption  (Read 9664 times)

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
Alignment/Corruption
« on: October 11, 2007, 05:08:31 AM »
Remember that using torture increase your evil side, that in game are the CP (Corruption Points). So later see how do you use them in your games.

We use them as alignment index, so 0-25 good; 26-75 neutral; 76-100 evil aprox. For intelligent magical items this can be important. CPs can also modify the RR for doing action that can favor you but can harm others, and GM see that the best is rolling a RR for decision.

But I strongly recommend DON'T use the manual rules for CPs, you serve an evil character? why? if I want to be the master, not the servant, those rules are taken from the old MERP and are horrible.
For example, my character is a bit unbalanced to the evil side, but with his personality he NEVER will serve another one, and all he does is for himself (for increasing his magical powers). Is a bit rare character, as I say he is able for the best and for the worst, he likes torture orcs (and maybe characters that harm others), but at the same time he doesn't doubt to aid the others if needed. But at this time I have some more than 50 CPs.

The same case are for rules of using magic, where there can be evil servants following you only for using a spell...what???.

Offline Blakkrall

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • HARP GM
    • Les Chevaliers du Littoral
Alignment/Corruption
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 05:35:59 AM »
Remember that using torture increase your evil side, that in game are the CP (Corruption Points). So later see how do you use them in your games.
I just said "I asked". Just roleplay to impress the NPC. Would never have done such a thing. Too dirty  :nono:.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
--------------------
Iceland, The French Fan Site For I.C.E.
LRP store
[img]http://cdl76.com/images/Images_contenu/

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Alignment/Corruption
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 06:25:12 AM »
But I strongly recommend DON'T use the manual rules for CPs, you serve an evil character? why? if I want to be the master, not the servant, those rules are taken from the old MERP and are horrible.

I dislike the book's rules for CP, too. They're too much tied to ME for me. I woudl really like to see some new corruption rules (or some good HR thread on corruption points  ;))
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
Alignment/Corruption
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 08:09:08 AM »

Sorry, I'm strictly RM2, I have no idea what you are talking about.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Blakkrall

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • HARP GM
Alignment/Corruption
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »
I don't like alignement. To caricatural for me. Or Manich(a)ean.
--------------------
LRP store

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Alignment/Corruption
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 01:26:49 PM »
I think that is the first time I have seen Manichaen used in a sentence outside of a religious discussion.  Kudos. 

But agreed, alignment in RM only really applies to channelers and perhaps others if using grace points out of the Channeling Companion.  At least the latter has a more complete (and playable) ruleset that the other versions of CP's. 

But alignments are too fixed to allow for much roleplaying and the potential for character change.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Alignment/Corruption
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 01:37:52 PM »
Or gaming the mechanic. . .

"If I save five orphans from a fire, feed two hungry dogs and donate 20% to charity, I get enough grace points to balance out for killing the bloke who irritated me by cutting in line for the bathroom."

It's like pre-emptive absolution or checkbook morality.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Blakkrall

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • HARP GM
Alignment/Corruption
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 02:45:22 PM »
I think that is the first time I have seen Manichaen used in a sentence outside of a religious discussion.  Kudos. 
Damned, hope it didn't shoke you  ;D
Think I probably never used it in a relgious discussion  :P

And I do agree with you, alignements are pretty bad for roleplay.
--------------------
LRP store

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Alignment/Corruption
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 03:30:50 PM »
I have always disliked alignment as strict guidelines to character.  I do like personality traits, virtues, vices, weaknesses and other aspects of personality that players can bring to PCs in play and reward those with fate points or experience.  I usually  ask players after the fifth game or so to talk about character motivation and personality and jot down a few guidelines, adjectives, adverbs and labels to define their characters. 
Rev. Scott

It all started with two men vs. three-hundred thousand orcs.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Alignment/Corruption
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 03:56:20 PM »
I prefer alignments that sound like "morally ambiguous capitalist" or "good hearted and kind situational ethicist" even "dedicated crusader with strong moral code."  I can really bite into such persoanlities.  Even better if ya combine two of the three, because a "morally ambiguous capitalist who is a dedicated crusader with a strong moral code" is gonna find himself in some interesting situations.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
Alignment/Corruption
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 04:32:28 PM »
If I were to use my moddish powers to sever the "alignment" discussion from the "Interrogation" one, which post should I swing the knife at?

(Both are interesting, might as well split.)

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Alignment/Corruption
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 04:36:01 PM »
I dislike alignment, too... but I like corruption!   ;D

Edit: LM, I think that could be a good idea

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Alignment/Corruption
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 05:56:48 PM »
Off-Topic (no matter which thread)

The alginment thread started with Dark Schneiders post:

Now swing thy sword, LordMiller, and be swift ...
and delete this post
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Alignment/Corruption
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 09:18:06 AM »
Nah, no need to clutter up the graveyard. . .my terrible swift sword of severence has made a new topic. . .

Do you use the corruption/grace system from the ChanCom?

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 09:39:13 AM »
Do you use the corruption/grace system from the ChanCom?

Yes, I use it (and I use elemental corruption from the F&I, too), but I would like to have a nice set of rules for handling corruption in the other Realms...

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 05:16:13 AM »
We don't use the alignment itself, it really isn't realistic, we simply have personality/conduct (as you like to call it), that is very more complex, and is that you really play.

But we need an index for alignment fight when you use and intelligent magical item, and CPs can be that index. For example we use in a 100 scaled and set the limits for any alignment.

Because you can have in your character sheet 'good', but your actions are those determine that, not your pencil, so you can choose your inital CPs, but later you need to demonstrate if you are good or evil.

The bad side is that there is no rules for CPs, so is GM who add or substract by his own discretion. It should be interesting that we had a table with columns 'type', that are the type of action (very good, good, bad, evil...), and roll on it modifing by SD, and then add or substract the result to our CPs.

Remember that many powerfull items (or artifacts) only allow to be used by determined alignments, so this can be more important than what seems initially. Too there are detection spells (as 'detect evil').

So this is simply a realistic method, because is based on character playing, not in pencil-sheet playing, to determine these factors.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 05:51:49 AM by Dark Schneider »

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 04:26:22 PM »
Because I never played DnD, I'm not used to alignments.
Of course I read articles about it, but never really understood (or tried to -
there was no need to).
Even the bible stated (something like) "by their doing you shall recognize them".
So it is about the behavior of the PC.

How are those alignments used ? Do they command you behavior ?
"You have to cross the road while the traffic light is red, because you are evil !"

OTOH perhaps it might be all about prejudices so alignments do make sense
(like "Germans are all deligent and Nazis" or "Elves are point-eared xxx").
Even for some artifacts which do not like (or function) for races which are chaotic
(aren't elves chaotic good in DnD ?).
"Race X isn't allowed to wear weapons in the town, because they are chaotic,
but Race Y is, because they are lawful even if they are lawful evil !"

It reminds me of the racial&culture discussion.

The personal traits of Pendragon are IMHO better (or perhaps I do understand ;) ).
But I do not really like them because I have the feeling with a good dice roll
("be brave enough") I charge the dragon and on the next day I'm afraid of a wolf.
(OK, use modifications "routine" - "sheer folly"   ;)
or better something like the knowledge tiers).
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 09:47:56 AM »
Yes, I use it (and I use elemental corruption from the F&I, too), but I would like to have a nice set of rules for handling corruption in the other Realms...

We have used the grace/corruption points on occasion but don't generally.

What I would like to see is calling the three different forms of corruption - channeling, elementa, and arcane - different things as they have much different effects and ways of getting them.

However some alignment system is implied in RM via detection spells.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 09:49:47 AM »
It's subjective though, usually. . .

Like, if Thor and Loki are fighting, their priests might detect each other evil, while if they're in a truce, then they might not.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 01:59:27 PM »
One nice thing about games, I don't have to suffer with that subjective morality stuff ;)

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.