Author Topic: Poisoned weapons used in combat  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Poisoned weapons used in combat
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2022, 05:10:34 AM »
This is really timely for my RM2 game, too - thanks Druss Thread-starter!
I had forgotten the paste/liquid guidelines. And I was always frustrated by the fact the tables of specific poisons didn't conform to the generic poison rules. In particular, I would have liked the specific poisons to include a generic poison type in the cases where it's applicable. The RMU bit rdanhenry cited about "The effects listed below are the specific effects of the listed poison. These effects will occur when the
victim fails his RR. These effects will occur in addition to the general effects of that type of poison (and
take priority when there is a conflict)." is a big improvement. I'm putting together a poison stash for the adventure the PCs are in right now, and I'll be using that mechanic as I make up the poisons.
Homebrew: Long ago I combined herbs and poisons in my game. Both are foreign substances introduced to the body, the name just differentiates whether we consider them positive or negative in their impact. Often, a substance can be both. That does raise an issue for races that have strong poison RRs, and in my notes I've got "outs" for this similar to the sneaky-elf fix for their SD penalty. Some races have auxiliary herbs they use to lower their resistance before they take a healing herb, for example. Dwarves use special crystals, halflings have the will-power to choose to drop their poison RR bonus when knowingly ingesting an herb.

Hey! Yep, I'm back at it again.
poison has plenty of potential to add interest and danger to your campaign. I tend to either custumise my own poison effects based on what those in the rules do or use the lower power ones. Deadly poisons should in my view be rare and expensive. NPC Enemies with poisoned weapons are a really scary prospect for even high level characters.
I have a PC assassin that harvests their own poison from scorpions and vipers he keeps as pets. Why would he need poison coated arrows? Well paralysing an enemy can be pretty useful and he has even been known to use the paralysing arrows versus a specific PC ally who is in frenzy. Not ideal but handy backup in an emergency.
Finding rare herbs/ingredients for a specific poison is also a good adventure hook and a reason to have herb lore and foraging skills in the wildrness.