Author Topic: Character gallery  (Read 1558 times)

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Character gallery
« on: September 27, 2021, 10:45:21 AM »
I kinda remember that once upon a time someone suggested the idea to create a "character gallery" of sort, where people would freely post character builds, sheets, and background histories. Does anyone know whether this was actually done and, if it were and one knows, where to find it?
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Character gallery
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 11:04:45 AM »
I'm not sure, but this would be a good time to revisit the idea, given the discussion that people have been having about the Guild Companion, and ways to make old material available.

I've updated my own RMU character sheet, and have characters of every class at levels 2 and 5 (as well as characters of some of my revamped RM2 classes, including Warrior Mage and Armsmaster). I was contemplating putting them on Google Drive and making them readily available that way, but if there's a better solution, that would be great.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 04:59:45 AM »
Depending on how other people and the mods feel about it, having a thread here (rather than mere posts in the Vault that most people would just not read) may work IMO. OTOH, the attachment validation process may slow it down (or give way too much extra-work to whoever is in charge of doing so), and a thread may not be the best format to post and comment many related yet different (as each character is different from the others) posts.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 05:03:19 PM »
Probably should do it as a child board if it is done in the forum here rather than the vault. That way each person could upload to a new comment and others could comment on it in the thread for that character. It would still take a lot of work for the mods to approve each upload.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 07:54:52 PM »
I'm not sure, but this would be a good time to revisit the idea, given the discussion that people have been having about the Guild Companion, and ways to make old material available.

I've updated my own RMU character sheet, and have characters of every class at levels 2 and 5 (as well as characters of some of my revamped RM2 classes, including Warrior Mage and Armsmaster). I was contemplating putting them on Google Drive and making them readily available that way, but if there's a better solution, that would be great.
As the Armsmaster is my favorite profession, I would really like to see your RMU version.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 10:15:19 PM »
As the Armsmaster is my favorite profession, I would really like to see your RMU version.

You can see a preview of two spell lists (and an earlier article where I give a history of the Armsmaster in previous editions, as well as my own general take on the class, here):

https://www.rolemasterblog.com/category/hurins-rmu-houserules/

I've also posted the skill costs chart here (note that JDale has given an RMU take on the Armsmaster's skill costs, and I used that as my baseline before making a few individual mods):

https://ironcrown.co.uk/ICEforums/index.php?topic=17454.80

If you'd like the other 4 Armsmaster lists, PM me. I'd love to have some playtesting feedback (I currently am GMing two RMU games, each with an Armsmaster in it, but all feedback is welcome).

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 02:32:09 AM »
This is something I'm sort of working on however it won't be in the forums, it will be directly on the website.

My dream is of a place on the website where people can find all sorts of really useful stuff for their games including the Guild Companion articles, things from the forum vault and newly created characters submitted by anyone that wants to submit them.

I'm currently working through the Guild Companion articles to give them a permanent home on the website and then I will start the character gallery idea.

Was that sort of what you had in mind?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 09:14:20 AM »

A new vault with character gallery would be great.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 10:05:27 AM »
This is something I'm sort of working on however it won't be in the forums, it will be directly on the website.

My dream is of a place on the website where people can find all sorts of really useful stuff for their games including the Guild Companion articles, things from the forum vault and newly created characters submitted by anyone that wants to submit them.

I'm currently working through the Guild Companion articles to give them a permanent home on the website and then I will start the character gallery idea.

That would be awesome. It would be wonderful if ICE had something for RM* and HARP similar to what lythia.com does for Harn and columbia games.
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 10:47:30 AM »
That would be awesome. It would be wonderful if ICE had something for RM* and HARP similar to what lythia.com does for Harn and columbia games.
Just keep in mind that part of what makes Lythia.com awesome is that it is setting-specific and, as such, can provide much in terms of lore setting development. This is not just possible for generic systems like RM and HARP, unless you make it setting-specific as well and, for instance, create a Kulthea.com... and even then, I'm pretty sure that the variation on Shadow World is muuuch larger than on Harn, which means that a larger number of contributions simply won't be compatible with each other.

But a Kulthea.com would be awesome, yes :)

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 06:30:00 PM »

Well, yes, exactly. Thank you so much, Colin.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 07:39:28 PM »
Just keep in mind that part of what makes Lythia.com awesome is that it is setting-specific and, as such, can provide much in terms of lore setting development. This is not just possible for generic systems like RM and HARP, unless you make it setting-specific as well and, for instance, create a Kulthea.com... and even then, I'm pretty sure that the variation on Shadow World is muuuch larger than on Harn, which means that a larger number of contributions simply won't be compatible with each other.

But a Kulthea.com would be awesome, yes :)
I was thinking more of the layout for tagged downloads rather than content, but yes, a Kulthea.com would be awesome  8)
                                                   Emily Dickenson

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 12:38:31 PM »
... and even then, I'm pretty sure that the variation on Shadow World is muuuch larger than on Harn, which means that a larger number of contributions simply won't be compatible with each other.
Considering how many house rules there are in RM and, in fact, all the systems, I think that every single RM person going there for ideas knows that he shall have to adapt any character he wants to use to his own game. Hence why we need a forum, IMO, so that one may ask questions to the original contributor to understand the house rules he used and stuff.
As far as I'm concerned, there's also the language barrier. To be honest, whilst I have literally hundreds of NPCs I'm willing to share, none of them have a character sheet fully in English and even less, a character background story written in English! My idea would be to post them "as they are", then, if someone is interested (using Google Translate or something to get a general idea of the character), I can translate the whole character sheet and/or background story. Considering some have scores of pages, I will surely not translate them until I know for sure it's worth it (because someone is interested)!