Author Topic: North Texas - Lack of Rolemaster  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Texicon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
North Texas - Lack of Rolemaster
« on: May 21, 2014, 03:08:13 AM »
Hello one and all, are there any Rolemaster players and or GMs in the North Texas area.  It seems very quiet around these here parts.

Offline Christopher House

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: North Texas - Lack of Rolemaster
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 01:29:24 AM »
areafiftyonegames@gmail.com Denison Frisco
Plano Tx< 903>( 337 1285)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 07:49:42 AM »

Hi! I'm about to start a game in Frisco. I'd say come play but we've already got 8 of us crammed around the table.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 02:28:39 PM »

Hi! I'm about to start a game in Frisco. I'd say come play but we've already got 8 of us crammed around the table.

That is so ironic!  What are the chances you find someone so close after just one post?

8 players in RM?  Ouch.  You are a masochist!   :smash:  When we had 6+ people, we would have a 2nd GM help out with smaller battles or if part of the group split off for a battle/supply run.  It really sped things up.  Even if you can split the combat into two  parties, another player can at least reference charts  and results to help combat move along a quicker.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 02:39:06 PM »
That is so ironic!  What are the chances you find someone so close after just one post?

8 players in RM?  Ouch.  You are a masochist!   :smash:  When we had 6+ people, we would have a 2nd GM help out with smaller battles or if part of the group split off for a battle/supply run.  It really sped things up.  Even if you can split the combat into two  parties, another player can at least reference charts  and results to help combat move along a quicker.

I'm nervous, but I've got ERA to do the heavy lifting for attacks and crits.

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 02:40:03 PM »

I should add that if you're looking for players, I'm interested. :)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 02:49:40 PM »
If you're up to 8 or 9 players (with Ginger), splitting into two groups might be an option.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 03:04:56 PM »
If you're up to 8 or 9 players (with Ginger), splitting into two groups might be an option.

My group is 8 of us (7 players, one GM). I've never met Christopher or Texicon. I was hoping they'd have a slot for me to play so I'd have two games going. :)

Our group bounces between two campaigns. One girl runs D&D. We just finished the first arc of that campaign. Now I'm taking over and will run the first arc of mine. We'll switch back and forth as needed so we each have plenty of prep time for our next arcs.

Splitting isn't really an option for us, though I've finally put my foot down and said "we've got enough people!" Things can rapidly devolve to a point where there's just too many voices at once for the person whose turn it actually is to think about what they want to do.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 03:20:13 PM »
Yes, our group is five players and one GM. I find more than 5 players in Rolemaster to be taxing (DnD is a little more forgiving).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 04:13:24 PM »
I find more than 5 in any system taxing, but I also get super annoyed when people aren't paying attention. More than 5 or so and it hits the point where if one person isn't paying attention they pull away 2 more.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 08:08:52 PM »
I have between 5-6 Players using Combat Minion... Chaotic but fun. I try to ensure equal time with individual effort. Ending a Campaign arc this week.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 08:16:00 PM »
The most Marisa and I ever had was 16, including our twin daughters.

Masochistic, Indeed.

:bang:

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Herektir

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2021, 05:06:52 PM »
Just came across this. I live in north Texas looking for a game or to start one as gm.  Merp setting limited content rm2.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2021, 08:07:37 PM »
I do 7 players, but usually someone can't make it, and I use software to track combat which streamlines a lot.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Vladimir

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2021, 07:53:36 PM »
  I started playing RM in the late 1980s. The first game I played had 20 players, mostly aged 12-15 and a handful of adults. The GM did something that I have always duplicated in games: Delegate authority. Since two of the players were US Army veterans, we were placed in charge of the two squads of players. The Dwarf Fighter was in charge of Alpha Team, made up of the front line fighters which made up a dozen of the players, and I was placed in command of Bravo Team, who were the support unit of Spell Users, the Healers, the Cleric and me, a High Man Rogue.
  The setup was taken from WW2 German squad doctrine, where a squad leader could inflict more damage to the enemy by directing his squad, and observing the action, instead of taking direct participation in the fighting.

I've run campaigns and if there are more that five players, I divide the group into teams. The team/squad leaders are then responsible to keep their assigned groups in order so the gameplay is smooth and without disruption. When the respective leaders are familiar enough with the game, I even allow them to handle the combat resolution involving their team as subordinate GMs, which is also a good way to train future GMs.

Now that I am retired, and living thousands of miles away from my regular gaming group and mobility impaired, I still manage to get my Rolemaster fix with friends in Honolulu and San Francisco, through Discord. We tried Skype for a while but it didn't work as well for the Mac users.
  People who really want to game will find a way to game. I live near a military base and I'm sure I could find players if I advertised but I live 20 miles from the nearest game store so my GM, who recently suffered a stroke, agreed to contact the people willing to set aside one night of the week and hold regular Rolemaster sessions over Discord. Discord has a die roller that all players could see, so it works for us.

When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
-Lao Tzu

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2021, 11:21:25 PM »
Now that is dedication!