Author Topic: Question About Using Material  (Read 1507 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Question About Using Material
« on: September 30, 2011, 04:51:21 PM »
I want to use the material in the following publications.

Treasure Companion, 2.0 Treasure Types, pp 8-19, and

Gamemaster Law, 12.0 Economics, Commerce, & Trading, pp 95-99.

I do not plan on using this material verbatim; however, I do plan on using this information as a basis for writing up such for an upcoming campaign.  I do understand that as long as I acknowledge works cited and used, I can use the information.  I also understand that my work must be at least 90% mine without having to ask permission or getting a license.

From my best guesstimates, I may actually use about 25% of the above works in my write up.  I may use a little more, a little less.  But I may go over the 10% mark.  I have not written up my work yet.  It is still in the notes and references stage and I am set up to create the first draft this weekend (I hope).

Ultimately, I plan on having my work available to players on a website they can access for background information on my campaign.

Question 1: Since the switchover, although the works I will be using are from before the GCP switch, am I correct in assuming that I should go through GCP for the permission/license?

Question 2: Can someone give me the lead for whom I should contact at GCP?  Is it Nicholas HM Caldwell?

Thanks for all your valuable time and aid.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Question About Using Material
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 06:22:46 PM »
1) AFAIK the licence info goes through John Seal which is John @ ironcrown .com (no spaces)
2) the contact for The Guild Companion is Nicholas HM Caldwell.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:20:56 PM »
I'd talk to Nicholas and/or Thom
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »
I'd talk to Nicholas and/or Thom

On Marc R's comment I would get your doc finished and then ask Nicholas if it needs a licence and go from there.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 06:34:58 AM »
If the material is going to be on a public website which anyone, not just your players, can view, then we (that's GCP Ltd and Aurigas) would be unhappy about page after page of copyrighted material appearing on it.

If the material is on a protected directory that only you and your players can view, then we feel much happier. Of course there's a point when the amount of material is still such that we'd prefer you told your players to think about getting their own copies.

Without really knowing what you plan, it is hard to say whether there's a problem or not. Email myself and/or Thom.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
If the material is going to be on a public website which anyone, not just your players, can view, then we (that's GCP Ltd and Aurigas) would be unhappy about page after page of copyrighted material appearing on it.

Not hardly.  I was planning on using about two, maybe three paragraphs.  These paragraphs were written well enough that I felt, "Why try and rewrite them?"  I am still working on the page and will email it as an attachment.

Thanks for your valuable time in giving me a response.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.