Author Topic: Resistance Rolls/Saving throws questions  (Read 732 times)

Offline Camel1918

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Resistance Rolls/Saving throws questions
« on: January 31, 2023, 04:06:53 PM »
I've been playing RM for a long time now over 30 years. I continue to question how I handle resistance rolls or saving throws. I have always used the resistance roll table for most things and sometimes use the static table, but when looking at it I always get the feeling that the resistance roll table is made to resist spell effects as opposed to other resistance rolls. Is there a time when you would ever just use the static maneuver table?
I was looking up some monsters and was thinking about using the "Shadows". Now in their description it states that "first use its ability to cause
all within a 10' radius to fall into a motionless trance for d10
rounds (if they fail an RR)." what type of resistance roll/saving throw would you use for this. I would usually use the basic resistance roll table with the level of the attacker vs the level of the character the problem is what bonuses would you give to this? Would you use the PC's bonus vs fear or would you use a combination of other stat bonuses?
I guess my main question is if you use the main resistance roll table for every thing or do you sometimes use something else and what bonuses do you give the PC's or is that just left up to the GM. 

Offline Camel1918

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Resistance Rolls/Saving throws questions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 04:55:12 PM »
Upon further searching I did find this in the GM Law under 'Fear and Influencing'. It states the following
"All magical influence attacks should be handled through
Resistance Rolls (non-magical attacks should use the Static
Maneuver Table T-4.3 in RMFRP). To determine the exact
effects of a successful influence attack (i.e., the victim failed
his RR), you must know by how much the RR failed.
Consult the most appropriate table below to find out the
effects of the influence attack. The conditions generated by
the charts below remain in effect until such a time as a new
RR is called for (e.g., the character leaves the area and
returns later, etc.). Note that some results indicate that
another RR may be made."

I don't know why I didn't find this before however I might have forgotten about it. This however does not answer the question of bonuses for the PC on these types of roles and this does not cover nearly all of the instances that come up for RR's.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 05:11:42 AM »
Use whatever you like as a bonus depending upon flavour.
Insanity?  Reasoning or Memory.
Drunk = Technically Poison but for something like keeping one’s choking bile down? = Constitution.
Greed/Lust = Self Discipline
Caring or Feelings = Empathy

All sorts of things. 
That said, most undead draining attacks I’ve used either Channeling or Constitution.
Creatures and Treasures(Monsters) has info on the different attacks and resistances of those modes to use in later editions.

Offline doktorjoy

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • LAER Gamemaster
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 06:45:01 AM »
For pretty much anything that is magical, (and not Directed Spells), we use a BAR and the Basic Spell Attack Table, and the Resistance Roll Table, along with Racial/StatItem RR bonuses.

Importantly, we feel there is a bias in the game towards PCs who typically get both BAR bonuses (especially at higher level) and RR bonuses from stats and (again at higher level) from items. Whereas NPCs and monsters often get no BAR or RR modifiers. So, as a blunt rule, where not otherwise specified, I give NPCs/Monsters a bonus to both their BAR AND RR mods equal to MAX(10, 2xLevel). Otherwise, especially as the level of play increases, the likelihood of PCs landing magical effects on NPCs begins to far outweigh the other way round.