Author Topic: Importing Character sheets (Rolemaster Office)  (Read 4269 times)

Offline Kiesnowski

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Importing Character sheets (Rolemaster Office)
« on: August 25, 2021, 08:41:59 PM »
I have found the Rolemaster Office tool very handy for generating characters for my campaigns but I would really like to find a way to import the characters generated into Fantasy Grounds Unity.  Has anyone figured out a way to do this?

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Importing Character sheets (Rolemaster Office)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 08:55:48 PM »
I don't know of a way to do it but do you have a sample character.  I am curious how it looks and if it would even be possible.

Offline Kiesnowski

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 10:22:44 PM »
I will set up a character at multiple levels so you can see how it changes.  I'll export all of the available file types and see if i can figure out the upload.  I'll try to do that after work today.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 11:20:59 PM »
I too would like to see how that looks!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Kiesnowski

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 07:37:21 PM »
Here are a couple of files that i generated with the program.  Just entered for a level one fighter ect and then used the NPC generator to level them.  I also included a PDF for one of the formatting option for a character sheet.

Hmm I cant seem to upload the file type do to the forum rules...

Offline Kiesnowski

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 07:38:26 PM »
You can find the program easy enough by searching for Rolemaster Office.

Offline Kiesnowski

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 10:24:00 PM »
Dakadin.  Can't seem to upload files due to restrictions.  Email me and i will be happy to provide you with some test files.  Appreciate all of your work on the game.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 10:30:53 PM »
Dakadin.  Can't seem to upload files due to restrictions. 

The approval process just takes a very long time.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Boromir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 01:58:59 AM »
The approval process for Downloads seems to be "offline" - there has not been a file approved since January 2020 from the "Recent Downloads" page.  From Colin's comments elsewhere in the forum, an alternative process is in the works.

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 07:53:48 PM »
Hi Kiesnowski,

I did send you an email on 9/1 and a PM today.  Hopefully you got them.

Dakadin

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 08:55:31 PM »
The approval process for Downloads seems to be "offline" - there has not been a file approved since January 2020 from the "Recent Downloads" page.  From Colin's comments elsewhere in the forum, an alternative process is in the works.

I didnt know it had been that long. Thx for the update!

Offline Kiesnowski

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 09:51:17 PM »
Danikin i sent you an email tonight with some files generated by the program for your evaluation.  Lev me know if you get them.  Hope it helps with your evaluation.

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2021, 01:07:08 AM »
I just replied to your email but to keep everyone else informed below is what I sent:

I looked at the files and while it might be possible, it would be a ton of work to do a conversion for it.  The save files are actually like XML files so that part would work well for doing the conversion.  The issue is RM Office stores quite a bit of the information just using ID numbers for the items.  So here is what a skill looks like:

Code: [Select]
  <skillRanks>
    <entry>
      <int>64</int>
      <rank>
        <id>64</id>
        <rank>4</rank>
        <favorite>true</favorite>
      </rank>
    </entry>

The issue is it really doesn’t have all the information that you would need and you would have to have a way to convert the IDs to the actual skill name.  I did find the file that has the ID numbers.  The site has a locale.properties file that you can download that has all the IDs and some other information in it.  Here is a section that includes the skill in the example above:

skill.63=Languages
skill.64=Body Development
skill.65=Ventriloquism

So that would tell us that the skill is Body Development and the character has 4 ranks in it.  Then because it is Body Development, you would need to track down the race ID:

<raceId>34</raceId>
This becomes a problem because the file doesn’t have any IDs for the races that I could find.  I know by looking at the PDF that it is a High Man but it is listed as this:

race.base.man.high=Man, High
It isn’t the 34th entry so that is telling me the program is using some internal numbering.  It would be possible to track all those down but then you hit other issues like the Body Development progression isn’t stored anywhere that I could find.

Basically, it looks like it would be easier to use the program to create characters and just manually enter the information form the PDF.  Sorry to provide you with the bad news.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2021, 10:21:15 AM »
Is there an import format that *would* work? For a character generation tool or spreadsheet, creating an export in some arbitrary format is not too hard if the desired format is known.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 01:49:25 AM »
If it is in Excel, I could write a VBA script to export the characters in an XML format that could be imported into FG. 

If you have FG, you can always export a character to see the XML format.  Please let me know if you want me to post a sample.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2021, 07:06:00 PM »
If you have FG, you can always export a character to see the XML format.  Please let me know if you want me to post a sample.

Assuming you can import such a file back into FG, yes, I think that would be useful.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Kiesnowski

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 09:38:39 AM »
Now that would be interesting. If there was a way to import the information then I wouldn't mind generating my characters with rolemaster office and then doing the data entry into a Excel file as long as I could import that information into fantasy grounds. It is a long way of doing it but at least I could get the data entry to work better.

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 05:41:29 PM »
Can you guys provide me an Excel document with a character entered?  It will give me something to work with so I can create an export module using VBA.  The resulting file then could be imported directly into FG.  I might even be able to create code to import a character into Excel from a FG export.  I just haven't tried doing it that way in the past so would have to research reading XML using VBA.

The attachment is a FG export of a level 11 Mentalist from my current campaign.  You will just need to unzip it to see the XML since I can't upload an XML file.