Author Topic: New SW Adventure  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
New SW Adventure
« on: November 04, 2019, 03:04:18 AM »
We are experimenting with some short-format releases to intersperse with the massive sourcebooks (which are all-too-infrequent!). I assure you that these do not take away from writing the big books (Emer IV still on the way) but serve as a diversion. Input welcome as usual. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_reviews.php?products_id=288169&src=hottest_filtered
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New SW Adventure
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 09:01:31 AM »
I voted "meh, get back to work on the sourcebooks", but I did like the small adventure. It is just that I would really like to have Emer IV in print most of all, since that gives me the whole continent of Emer for my players to play in. After Emer IV is done, then I'd like to see more little adventures.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 12:21:31 PM »
I applaud the short-format releases, and hope they continue.

Externally, I think it shows in a concrete way that the system/world has regular content. Additionally it gives GM's and players new ideas, and also has the side effect of advertising well on Drive Thru.  Personally, I welcome small, less pressure tasks between Major ones, scheduling them whenever I can. I find they help alleviate that "MAJOR" task stress.
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 12:23:12 AM »
Agreed!

“Taster” modules drive interest and become great side treks to campaigns on the whole - especially since most players have been GMs themselves and have all of the old content, knowing it by rote.

Much success on this for everyone involved!

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 04:26:49 AM »
I have purchased both short publications that I've seen and am hoping that there are more to come. Have you thought of releasing a SW primer for free or pay what you want? Basically a broad brush stroke of the key elements like Essence Flows, Flow Storms, maybe a recent history timeline (25 years) etc. This could be separate from the short releases but give someone new to SW a little background....
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 09:00:42 AM »
I liked it, but it was more for a campaign.  What I wanted was an adventure to run at cons.  That's not your fault, and is not a reflection on the quality of the adventure, but....  I would love to see an adventure module that can be run in a 5 hour session that shows off RMU and Shadow World.

Also a pony.  :-)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 09:19:50 AM »
I would love to see an adventure module that can be run in a 5 hour session that shows off RMU and Shadow World.

I don't think it is breaking any rules to reveal that I've written a one-session RMU adventure for GenCon for this year, set in Kulthea ('From Sel-Kai, by Skyshipi'), and it will appear as part of an RMU rules preview package.

It's not as good as Terry writing one, but perhaps it will scratch  your itch.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 12:32:22 PM »
I do agree with the idea of a 2-3 hour 1 off approach based in SW.

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 02:21:06 PM »
I have purchased both short publications that I've seen and am hoping that there are more to come. Have you thought of releasing a SW primer for free or pay what you want? Basically a broad brush stroke of the key elements like Essence Flows, Flow Storms, maybe a recent history timeline (25 years) etc. This could be separate from the short releases but give someone new to SW a little background....
The Shadow World Players Guide - The World, maybe? PDF is available from DriveThruRPG.

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 02:49:14 PM »
I would love to see an adventure module that can be run in a 5 hour session that shows off RMU and Shadow World.

I don't think it is breaking any rules to reveal that I've written a one-session RMU adventure for GenCon for this year, set in Kulthea ('From Sel-Kai, by Skyshipi'), and it will appear as part of an RMU rules preview package.

Excellent.  Now I only need the Cons to start running again.   ;D

Seriously tho, I plan on doing GenCon On-Line.  Can I grab a copy there.  I want to run for my friends as well, just to give them a taste.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 02:58:48 PM »
If you are interested in running a session at GenCon, and/or have questions about the preview package, I think you want to talk to Colin. I will PM you his email (I think it is common knowledge, seeing as he provided a link to it in the latest ICE Newsletter).

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 04:15:03 PM »

Ha! I didn't realize that was you. :)
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 04:21:17 PM »
Ha! I didn't realize that was you. :)

Really? Sorry, I should have introduced myself I guess! I just assumed..

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 02:45:53 AM »
The Shadow World Players Guide - The World, maybe? PDF is available from DriveThruRPG.

The players guide is beautiful. I'd probably use it as the source document, but, I was thinking more of a free 3-4 page free product that could be used as a companion to mini adventures. So that someone who has no SW knowledge could run a mini adventure and know what a Flow Storm or Navigator or Loremaster was.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 09:40:19 AM »

You mean sort of a stripped down version of the 'Players Guide'? We could do that.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 09:42:51 AM »
I liked it, but it was more for a campaign.  What I wanted was an adventure to run at cons.  That's not your fault, and is not a reflection on the quality of the adventure, but....  I would love to see an adventure module that can be run in a 5 hour session that shows off RMU and Shadow World.

Hmm, I designed these to be independent. What could I have done to make them more separate but with ties to SW?

(Sorry, no pony!)
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 09:46:06 AM »
Exactly. Something that highlights the elements unique to Shadow World and what makes it different. Like a "why play in SW" sort of thing.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 09:49:35 AM »

Hmm, I designed these to be independent. What could I have done to make them more separate but with ties to SW?

(Sorry, no pony!)

I think a very tight - go here, do this scenario with a map etc. is what the market is looking for. Maybe use the 5 room dungeon format? But, introduce a single unique element with each adventure? Like, maybe have a short low-level adventure based on surviving a flow storm?

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 03:20:14 PM »
A flow storm would be a great intro to Shadow World.  I know my players still talk about the one they survived.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2020, 04:27:18 AM »
Here's a scenario I use:
1. On a ship bound for Kelfour's Landing
2. Flow Storm happens (this is where you can introduce system stuff like MM rolls, Lores, perception)
3. PCs are shipwrecked several days west of Kelfours Landing. They and a small group of survivors are washed ashore on a small rocky beach (2 survivors/PC) - here I use a series of survival based mini encounters; rescuing someone who can't swim, scavenging for supplies, getting a fire started, finding shelter (this leads to #4). Again perfect for introducing skill based rolls but you can also introduce flora & Fauna or herbs etc specific to SW....i usually use a cache of healing herbs.
4. With the terrible storm still threatening the PCs then locate a coastal cave that looks abandoned to find shelter. It is inhabited by a pair of Threk now. The PCs must defeat the current inhabitants to ride out the storm.
5. As they ride out the storm they will explore the deeper parts of the cave and can discover a few more things (that they may want to return to explore on their own). Options: it is an abandoned Gnoll cave with cleverly hidden passages leading deeper into the mountain or it was a pirate/smuggler stash house with a hidden cache of treasure still to be found or it simply leads further into the rocky hillside.
6. I either conclude by having the PCs rescued or you can give them the option of striking out over-land to try and reach Kelfour's landing.