Author Topic: Shadow world "up to date" material  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Shadow world "up to date" material
« on: October 28, 2019, 07:54:41 AM »
I usually don't use pre-built settings because I like to invent my own worlds, but I own Shadow World Master Atlas and Powers of Light and Darkness, and I've always found them very inspirational and well written.
I'm considering to use some SW material for pause periods of the main campaign and I started to dig in the vast amount of pubblications available. I must confess I got lost quickly, I find particulary difficult to understand what is the most actual version of the manuals and which books replace which ones.
Emer I, II and III are the last version available? There will be a next edition for RMU?
I think my Master Atlas is 4th edition, and my Power of Light And Darkness is the one with the Raven Queen on the cover. Are they the most recent version or there are more recent ones? 
I suppose no book has yet been updated for RMU. Am I right?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline Neee-Wom

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Shadow world "up to date" material
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 12:15:39 PM »
Hi Fingolfin80,

TKA, the author is working in Emer IV and later he will focus in updating Emer I & II. A new, edited version of Rhakhaan should be available this month or next.

SWMA 4th ed is the last edition and Powers has been issued only one time so yours are ok.

No book has been published with RMU in mind, and the last books that you can consider up to date are:
    Cloudlords of Tanara 2nd Ed
    Eidolon 2nd Ed
    Xa-ar
    Emer III
    Tales from the Green Gryphon Inn
    Jaiman 2nd Ed

Ni!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 02:37:11 PM »
RMU support is waiting for the RMU rules to be finalized. After that happens, I expect future products will have RMU stats.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 05:18:13 AM »
Thank you all for your answers. I don't mind using old material, but where an updated version is available I will try to use it, since I have yet to buy it anyway.

Hi Fingolfin80,

TKA, the author is working in Emer IV and later he will focus in updating Emer I & II. A new, edited version of Rhakhaan should be available this month or next.

SWMA 4th ed is the last edition and Powers has been issued only one time so yours are ok.

No book has been published with RMU in mind, and the last books that you can consider up to date are:
    Cloudlords of Tanara 2nd Ed
    Eidolon 2nd Ed
    Xa-ar
    Emer III
    Tales from the Green Gryphon Inn
    Jaiman 2nd Ed

Well, I'll start from this list, it's more than enough for some one shot. My knowledge of the Lore isn't that deep, but as far as I understand it for a less high magic adventure Jaiman is more suited, while Emer is more heavy on it, is it correct?

RMU support is waiting for the RMU rules to be finalized. After that happens, I expect future products will have RMU stats.

I suspected so. We will see if this will include new stats for already published manuals (new editions, for example) or will affect only new products.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 09:49:45 AM »
I think I recall Terry saying something in the random updates thread about no Master Atlas 5 until RMU is done.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 04:17:43 AM »
I think I recall Terry saying something in the random updates thread about no Master Atlas 5 until RMU is done.

Thank you all (especially Neee-Wom) for supplying helpful info! Yes, I expect no new Atlas until RMU. I have been approved after Emer IV to go back to I and II for revisions, as they are long out of print, and need even more revision (full color, new illustrations and map, and adventures!) than the soon to be released Haalkitaine 2nd Edition.

Master Atlas 3 or 4 are about equal; though sadly I think both are currently only PDF.

Also valuable is the World Player Guide, which has beautifill illos and general world information:  https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/83779/Shadow-World-Player-Guide--The-World?manufacturers_id=461
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 04:58:32 AM »
Yes, I expect no new Atlas until RMU.
Thakns for the clarifications! I'll wait for it and I'll buy it as soon as it comes out, since my sessions will use RMU as game system.

I have been approved after Emer IV to go back to I and II for revisions, as they are long out of print, and need even more revision (full color, new illustrations and map, and adventures!) than the soon to be released Haalkitaine 2nd Edition.
These are all good news. I have yet to decide where to set my one shot adventures, for now Jaiman seems a good point to start, but there are very interesting locations in Emer too... I need to read more.

Master Atlas 3 or 4 are about equal; though sadly I think both are currently only PDF.
I was able to find a copy of Master Atlas 4 on ebay, but nothing on more official channels. I saw a copy of 3rd edition on Amazon today,  but I think it's a used copy. Printed version of Power of Light and Darkness appears to me as a relic of legend.

Also valuable is the World Player Guide, which has beautifill illos and general world information:  https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/83779/Shadow-World-Player-Guide--The-World?manufacturers_id=461
I never considered it because I thought it was a simplified version of Master Atlas, with no additional info. Am I wrong? If that's the case I'll grab a copy.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 09:02:55 AM »
The player guide is not a substitute for the Master Atlas. The guide, while good for players, is much shorter and doesn't contain most of the Atlas info.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 12:00:50 PM »
The player guide is not a substitute for the Master Atlas. The guide, while good for players, is much shorter and doesn't contain most of the Atlas info.

Your answer make me think that maybe I was a little unclear about what I intended, I didn't mean that it can be a substitute of the Master Atlas, but that since I already have a Master Atlas I thougnt I didn't need Player Guide because I already have all the information included.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 02:10:50 PM »
Ah, I see. I can't remember if the Player's Guide has anything that is not in the Master Atlas, but I think it does.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 01:26:12 AM »
Ah, I see. I can't remember if the Player's Guide has anything that is not in the Master Atlas, but I think it does.

The Player's Guide is more of an introduction, but it is packed with beautiful illustrations of locations all over Kulthea, and some material not seen elsewhere, such as charts of the gods hierarchy, constellation maps, etc. It is actually mostly illustrations, maps and beautiful graphic charts.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.