Author Topic: New SW Adventure available  (Read 6418 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: New SW Adventure available
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 11:21:36 AM »
This a 12 page adventure set in SW Emer, all new, with layouts and stats, and some info on the working of Jinteni Portals. It is pay-as-you-want, but please be generous, and review when you can. If this does well, we will do more mini SW adventures to fill in between the big books. Emer IV is still going well.

Any feedback is of course welcome!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 01:09:00 PM by Terry K. Amthor »
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 11:23:06 AM »
Looking forward to downloading it; just been a bit busy lately.

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 10:11:43 PM »
I just picked it up and am looking to using it soon. I play almost every other week now in a fun campaign.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 07:31:03 AM »
Just downloaded the file and gave it a quick look-over.  Fantastic work.  The amount of detail and info is excellent.  I think I'm going to have my party get to the location via an earth node.  I've been wanting to have them stumble across one and this is a good adventure to send them on via earth node.  I've also been wanting to send an aether storm at them too.  This could be the trigger to accidentally trigger the earth node.

Great module!!
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 09:32:09 AM »
Hi all,

There have been nearly 100 downloads in just a few days, most people paying nothing. One person paid $0.05. That is unfortunate. Also there has only been one rating, and that was 3 out of 5. My products usually get a 4.5-5, so this is disappointing. I don't think we will be doing 'pay what you want' again as there are so many moochers. I imagine that if we will do similar adventures/mini sources of similar size again, we will be asking $2-$4.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 06:08:13 AM by Terry K. Amthor »
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 09:50:40 AM »
Hi all,

There have been nearly 100 downloads in just a few days, most people paying nothing. One person paid $0.05. That is unfortunate. Also there has only been one rating, and that was 3 out of 5. My products usually get a 4.5-5, so this is disappointing. I don't think we will be doing 'pay what you want' again as there are so many moochers. I imagine that if we will do similar adventures/mini sources of similar size again, we will be asking $2-$3. :-(
PWYW has a purpose and its place. Mostly it works best for independent creators who have a strong personal following. People are more likely to 'give' or 'donate' if they know exactly who the money is going to and they want to support that writers work.
For a business free works better than PWYW if you just want to use the product as a try before you buy for a more expensive investment.
If you want or need to make money or make back your investment then you should put a price on the product.
Many free or PWYW products get low or poor ratings. Stars but no textual review. There are simply plenty of review trolls that will mark down every product just so that their own will rank higher. The 3 star review was probably not a reflection of the product at all, they probably didn't even download the book. As soon as they have 'purchased' the book for nothing they are able to rate it.

You could withdraw the product from sale, by making it private.

Recreate the product as a $2 download with the same name. Put a note at the top of the description that is is the same adventure as was previously sold PWYW. That would scrub away the 3* review and give you a clean slate.

Personally, I would just treat it as a loss leader but ask people on the forums to download it and leave 5* reviews to counter balance the trolls.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 01:01:13 PM »
Tried to even out the pay what you want abit :D
And hope it can be converted to Jaiman :)
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 06:23:01 AM »

Thanks! You could probably place it on the northern border of Zor with a cooler climate and make the native grass-dwellers mutants.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 06:34:34 AM »
Hi all,

There have been nearly 100 downloads in just a few days, most people paying nothing. One person paid $0.05. That is unfortunate. Also there has only been one rating, and that was 3 out of 5. My products usually get a 4.5-5, so this is disappointing. I don't think we will be doing 'pay what you want' again as there are so many moochers. I imagine that if we will do similar adventures/mini sources of similar size again, we will be asking $2-$3. :-(

Not cool... paid 5$ myself. Will finish reading it and then will post a review!
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 08:54:00 AM »
Many will download PWYW simply because they can get it for free. Interest in the setting or product is irrelevant, and it may never even be looked at. There also seems to be one individual rating every single PWYW supplement they pick up - for free - at 3 stars. Which is annoying to say the least.

$2-3 for these supplements is a perfectly reasonable price. You also get people paying a minimum amount, sometimes only 1 cent, for PWYW because they don't quite feel comfortable paying nothing.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »

Thanks! You could probably place it on the northern border of Zor with a cooler climate and make the native grass-dwellers mutants.

Cool!
Ill just pass the PDF to my GM, cant rate it before he uses it some day :)
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 06:21:06 AM »
One person paid $0.05. That is unfortunate.

No, that's just douchey and insulting.  I would find it less offensive if the person just paid nothing at all.  I did download and i did pay, but i didn't leave a review yet as I haven't played it out, but that doesn't mean I can't leave a review of what I've read and what I think so I'm off to remedy that now.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 04:24:56 AM »
Hi all,

Not cool... paid 5$ myself. Will finish reading it and then will post a review!

Thanks! Much appreciated.   :)
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 04:25:30 AM »
One person paid $0.05. That is unfortunate.

No, that's just douchey and insulting.  I would find it less offensive if the person just paid nothing at all.  I did download and i did pay, but i didn't leave a review yet as I haven't played it out, but that doesn't mean I can't leave a review of what I've read and what I think so I'm off to remedy that now.

Thanks!
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 04:30:46 AM »
I think that Nicholas and I will confer about how to release the next mini-adventure. I am glad to hear the positive responses here, and I think this is a good way to maintain interest in RM and SW between huge modules (Haalkitaine: almost done except for RMSS stats; many new NPCs and of course many all-new adventures).  PWYW is clearly not the way to go, with a raft of people paying nothing. For 12-18 pages of material, I am thinking $2 -$4. In future adventures, I think I can include suggestions for placing it in other locations than the original setting. Many will include Portals, so get your Jinteni crystals ready!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 07:02:09 AM by Terry K. Amthor »
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Destyar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 08:11:11 AM »
I think that Nicholas and I will confer about how to release the next mini-adventure. I am glad to hear the positive responses here, and I think this is a good way to maintain interest in RM and SW between huge modules (Haalkitaine: almost done except for RMSS stats; many new NPCs and of course many all-new adventures).  PWYW is clearly not the way to go, with a raft of people paying nothing. For 12-18 pages of material, I am thinking $2 -$4. In future adventures, I think I can include suggestions for placing it in other locations than the original setting. Many will include Portals, so get your Jinteni crystals ready!

Good stuff. It's too bad people can be such scumbags. Probably should have saved it for Guild Adventurer #5 (or do those only come along once every 7 years?).

Thanks,
--Desty

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2019, 08:44:57 AM »

Good stuff. It's too bad people can be such scumbags. Probably should have saved it for Guild Adventurer #5 (or do those only come along once every 7 years?).

Thanks,
--Desty

Yeah i think that model no longer works, with small pdfs avaiable rather than asking a buyer to pay for a magazine with a lot of materials they have no interest in. Come to think of it, maybe we should release a PDF of just the SW material from those books...?
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 09:31:12 AM »
I normally price PDFs at $0.20/page so $2-$4 is spot on.

PWYW has its place but it is a very specific tool. What it isn't is an 'honesty box' if you know that concept. It also is not Pay What It Is Worth.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 09:34:27 AM »
I normally price PDFs at $0.20/page so $2-$4 is spot on.

PWYW has its place but it is a very specific tool. What it isn't is an 'honesty box' if you know that concept. It also is not Pay What It Is Worth.

Thanks Peter. Wish we had consulted you guys before posting the adventure. But we're learning.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.