Author Topic: Supplement for Races and Languages of Shadow World RMU  (Read 8675 times)

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Supplement for Races and Languages of Shadow World RMU
« on: April 01, 2016, 08:58:13 AM »
I know this is still a ways away from now but it would be great to have a Shadow World supplement or book for Races and Languages of Shadow World. This would do multiple things for RMU:

1. Give Racial descriptions in one book and where the races originate from
2. languages that are most spoken by the races and languages in different regions of Shadow World
3. Could have expanded talents that are Shadow World specific
4. Common types of names for races
5. Allows for cultural flavor for each race as well as prejudices
6. Gives cultural weapons and armor
7. Describes usual clothing that is worn (most people will be around the same in the culture i.e. Toga, Kilt, furs, ect... will always be the fallback or comfort clothing for different races)
8. Belief system for each race (religion, naturist, domination, ect...)
9. Art work for typical looks of each race

Note this should be for playable races only within Shadow World and not a Monster or Creature Law.

What do you think?
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Supplement for Races and Languages of Shadow World RMU
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 10:48:39 AM »
We do have the player guide, but my one big gripe with it is that the list of languages is different than the one in the book, which makes for some confusion.

Maybe they could clean that up and supplement it with some of the additional information you describe above, and issue it as Player Guide, 2nd Edition. I would buy it.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 11:03:57 AM »
Yeah I have the players guide but it is just information about SW and not much for races with stats and descriptions of each. Also there is no indication for where they are in the world (like a map of the continent with an arrow pointing to it). I was disappointed with the descriptions and there were very few languages for me to give my Players for language development. It was more of a broad "Welcome to Shadow World" this is what you can expect, kind of book.

I am looking for a Guide for races, to include: Stats, Physical features, Cultural beliefs, Cultural garb and equipment (weapons, armor, mundane items common), language spoken commonly, common type of name, Picture of what is common appearance.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 11:26:49 AM »
Races & Cultures has a bunch of stuff, but I'm unsure as to how canon it's considered.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 05:09:17 AM »
I think this is a great idea, and something that one of you avid SW people could take on with me as editor. I'm not sure how far along RMU is, but a lot of this is system independent so could be assembled immediately.

TKA
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 05:20:09 AM »
It's certainly something that I'd love to have.
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 11:57:13 AM »
When I did the SW player guide, my original idea was that there would be a player guide for each region (e.g., Jaiman), which would contain both detailed races as well as cultures for each region.   In fact, I even have a draft (now several years old) of a new Jaiman book and Player guide to go with it.

But, life happens.  Someone should do it.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 03:36:12 PM »
Our GM did a tome of races on Jaiman!
I can ask him if he wanna share that!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline DragonReborn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Bladestorm Tabletop
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 06:29:18 AM »
There is a lot of information distributed in several publications. RMFRP Races & Cultures, RMSS Underground Races, the Master Atlas 1-4, Powers of Light and Darkness and of course "big books" on Jaiman and Emer. Even the Bladestorm Sourcebook and Bestiary add to SW with regard to Folenn.

I'm not sure if there is so much "new" material needed. Consolidating the information in these books is a lot of work, but would prove ultimately very helpful. Especially with regards to canon.

Sebastian Klapdor
MX Bladestorm Dev
=========================================================
MX Homepage http://www.bladestorm.mx
facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BladestormTabletop
=========================================================

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 07:14:59 AM »
In our group our GM made a "tome of races"
It would be awesome with a official version of this, maybe made or gathered by users here and checked of by Terry or whoever "owns" Shadow world!
@Matt Hanson Would you be able to share that jaiman book with us here so we maybe can use that to build a new one of sorts :)
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 07:45:36 AM »
It would be very helpful with just a 2 page pdf providing racial bonuses and talents for RMU.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 03:16:43 AM »
When I did the SW player guide, my original idea was that there would be a player guide for each region (e.g., Jaiman), which would contain both detailed races as well as cultures for each region.   In fact, I even have a draft (now several years old) of a new Jaiman book and Player guide to go with it.

But, life happens.  Someone should do it.

I'd like to see this go forward. I also started a new edition of Jaiman, with all the dungeon layouts and artifact info removed (to be re-published in other books), but planned a lot more detailed info about all the regions, so it is more of a general guide and not about dungeon adventures. But have not looked at it in awhile. Been working on other projects. But the Player's Guide was hugely successful, so maybe we should consider this.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 04:02:31 AM »
Terry, great to see you active in this thread. Would it be possible to throw together a table with updated racial stats for RMU? (Player races)
My group is in the middle of launching a campaign (RMU/Shadow World/Jaiman) and we would love to preserve your vision of how the various races should be handled. As it stands today we'll have to bodge something together and there is no telling if we will end up even close to how you'd do it.

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 01:59:23 PM »
It has not been reviewed by Terry or Matt but here is our conversion I posted up a few months ago.

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15879.0;attach=3666
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 02:33:20 PM »
It has not been reviewed by Terry or Matt but here is our conversion I posted up a few months ago.

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15879.0;attach=3666

Glad to see that some races get an Intuition bonus in Shadow World. I've never quite understood RMU's decision to treat Intuition differently than all other stats and not give any races a bonus or minus in it. It contradicts all earlier versions of Rolemaster was well as Shadow World.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 03:23:28 PM »
Thank you for the link, the new race creation rules does create a bit of a mess though. :/

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 05:42:30 PM »
Thank you for the link, the new race creation rules does create a bit of a mess though. :/

Yes it doesnt match up, but we did these in early beta 1 when we adopted the RMU stat bonus system. If anyone wants to make changes I can post the excel version.
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 05:52:48 PM »
I probably would try my hand at making them all conform to the RMU racial creation rules, so I can use them for my campaigns; unless of course one of the developers is planning to do this? I think it would be great, and necessary if RMU is going to support the Shadow World setting.

Offline lynmortensen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 10:50:55 PM »
I've done my own take on the races for RMU.  I ended up giving them more development points just to they had the flavor of the RMFRP versions.  I told my players that they should pick the Shadow World races as they are inherently more powerful than the base RMU ones...

I've converted the following:  Duranaki, Myri, Sulini, Yinka, Y'nari, Laan, Erlini, Shuluri, Laori, Haid, Numari, and Jameri.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 06:56:35 AM »
It's fairly obvious that race creation rules as presented in RMU is very different compared to previous editions.
My personal view on the matter is that races have been significantly nerfed compared to previous versions. Since races are strictly point based today, it would be easy to generate RMU versions. The elephant in the room is obviously how many DP to use for generating the new races.
RMU RAW use 50DP, how many DP would be the right amount in order to recreate the Shadow World Races and preserving the right flavor?

Highest # of background options used to be 6, increasing DP to 60 wouldn't be a big stretch. Is more than 60 needed?

In I.C.E. #6400, 4th edition Master Atlas, Loari elves for RMFRP the net stat bonuses are +9 with 3 background options. In RMU the net stat bonuses are +8 with 0 bonus DP. Resistance mods seem to be roughly on par. Exchanging 1 background option for 10DP would give us a 34 DP difference.
Eyeballing the net difference for a Shay I get something in the 31DP area.
Using 80DP instead of 50 feels a little excessive? (60% net increase)