Author Topic: Stats for Air Ships?  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Stats for Air Ships?
« on: April 21, 2014, 05:19:30 PM »
Ok, so I've got my own medieval/fantasy setting (which I steal stuff for left and right) and there are airships in the world.  I have not completely decided exactly how to work them once the players are to the point where they will become more relevant to them.  They are a somewhat risky form of travel as they are mostly rudimentary in function (i.e. they are not, traditionally, magical in nature).  They have a hard time with nasty weather for example - so taking one over a mountain range is intended to be a real risk/reward gamble (and if a dragon were to rear it's ugly head you better have a parachute).

I'm curious if there are part of Shadow World that will give some good detail on the airships in the setting.  If they fill my requirements I might just pull the specifics from SW into my own setting... if not, I think I'll be going to the drawing board and creating my own stats and skills for them.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Stats for Air Ships?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:37:57 PM »
Sea Law is handy.  Air ships have 1/3rds the structural weight, up to 2/3rds with cargo.  They also have 1/3rd the hits of similar sized vessels, but of better than triple speed and maneuverability.

Extrapolating from the tables and rule set is not hard, though it does require record keeping.  None to much if you are willing to stat out ships in the first place.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.