Author Topic: Random Updates from Terry Amthor  (Read 282033 times)

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Random Updates from Terry Amthor
« Reply #1580 on: January 11, 2020, 04:19:48 PM »
Would GMs be interested in a mini supplement with a bunch of interesting PC backgrounds, either living in Haalkitaine, or finding themselves in the city, with a setting where they might meet up, as a possible starting point for adventures?  Detailed histories with convoluted families, lost items, dark pasts, and they just happen to meet in a tavern/party/brawl...

That was one thing I really liked about the Grand Campaign material.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1581 on: January 12, 2020, 06:54:55 AM »
I finally woke up!  I ordered the new Haalkitaine book back when it was announced.  I figured it was slow because of the printing and the holidays.  As time went on I wondered where my book was so I logged back into my account to see when I actually ordered it.

Well.... I ordered it, started the payment process, but never completed the order.  :-\  So I finally DID place the order and I received the e-mail confirmation that the order is filled and being shipped.   :bang:
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1582 on: January 12, 2020, 09:56:47 AM »
Would GMs be interested in a mini supplement with a bunch of interesting PC backgrounds, either living in Haalkitaine, or finding themselves in the city, with a setting where they might meet up, as a possible starting point for adventures?  Detailed histories with convoluted families, lost items, dark pasts, and they just happen to meet in a tavern/party/brawl...

I honestly was amazed at the popularity of the Grand Campaign, and after my falling out with ICE over payment, the disappointment that it was never completed. I can say that the upcoming adventure module of the Citadel of Dansart is about as close as that will ever come. The secret desert hold of the High Priest only appeared as unlabelled B&W drawings, and now is fully described room by room with garrisons and how to get there.

Anyway, the small PDF of the six heroes from the SW covers seemed popular, so as another interim mini, I might introduce some new, low-level characters, and a typical inn or tavern in Haalkitiane. It's a bit hackneyed I know. Perhaps a dinner party hosted by the father of one of the PCs, who invited his/her childhood friends from school, and they reconnect. Thoughts? (I like distractions from Emer IV sometimes.)
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1583 on: January 12, 2020, 10:17:57 AM »
after my falling out with ICE over payment
That really sucks.  :(

Anyway, the small PDF of the six heroes from the SW covers seemed popular, so as another interim mini, I might introduce some new, low-level characters, and a typical inn or tavern in Haalkitiane.

What I always though would be nice would be stats for the group of adventurers on the cover old Rolemaster books. That's a bit of Rolemaster history it would be really neat to see fleshed, out and maybe made a part of ShadowWorld lore. Plus, in my mind it would be a nice nod to Angus McBride and his artwork.

I realize that may not match your own feelings for the settings or the company history.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1584 on: January 12, 2020, 10:58:36 AM »
Super cool idea Jenkyna!

I think the fighter is clearly a Talath, and the mage maybe a Duranaki?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1585 on: January 12, 2020, 08:06:59 PM »
If you are talking about the guy with the Mohawk, I think he is an elf. I have no idea what the lion-guy would be...

Anyway, the small PDF of the six heroes from the SW covers seemed popular, so as another interim mini, I might introduce some new, low-level characters, and a typical inn or tavern in Haalkitiane. It's a bit hackneyed I know. Perhaps a dinner party hosted by the father of one of the PCs, who invited his/her childhood friends from school, and they reconnect. Thoughts? (I like distractions from Emer IV sometimes.)
The dinner party thing is great, I don't know how the module goes, but something like a costume ball where the PCs need to locate a specific person to get some information from (of an item, or both) could be fun. The different guests would each have their own background and motivations. That could be a less normal/boring method of introducing NPCs. Plus, all those that the PCs don't interact with can easily be used for other things, because the PCs wouldn't have really seen them, so if you happen to use one somewhere a-thousand miles away it won't matter. But, any sort of NPC guide would be great and of immense use.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1586 on: January 12, 2020, 09:08:16 PM »
I have no idea what the lion-guy would be...
I always think of that group as being the three humans and the elf. Not quite sure where the lion guy on the one cover came from, but the images I can find of it are all so small I can't even tell if it's McBride's work. The faces on the characters look different.

Edit: Actually not quite sure if the blond warrior is human or Elven. His ears on the image with the brass golem look like they may be Elven.

Offline JohnnyR

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1587 on: January 12, 2020, 09:09:27 PM »

Same here!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1588 on: January 12, 2020, 09:37:50 PM »
I have no idea what the lion-guy would be...
I always think of that group as being the three humans and the elf. Not quite sure where the lion guy on the one cover came from, but the images I can find of it are all so small I can't even tell if it's McBride's work. The faces on the characters look different.

Edit: Actually not quite sure if the blond warrior is human or Elven. His ears on the image with the brass golem look like they may be Elven.

His ears do look a little Elven on that one picture, but they look much more normal on Character Law.

I concede that the Magician really does look elven; on a second look, I see how pointed his ears are.

The Lion guy I think is an Idiyva. The makers of the FRP Creatures and Monsters book definitely thought so, because McBride did another one of him or a similar creature, this time riding a Gryphon and wielding a crossbow, and the FRP C+M book puts this picture (which is also the cover) next to the description of the Idiyva on p. 170.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1589 on: January 12, 2020, 10:46:33 PM »
His ears do look a little Elven on that one picture, but they look much more normal on Character Law.

The picture of him on Gamemaster Law definitely has human ears, and I am pretty sure McBride's signature is on Creatures and Monsters, but it's very faint. He left us too soon, and thinking about that loss is making me feel melancholy.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1590 on: January 13, 2020, 12:34:08 AM »
He left us too soon, and thinking about that loss is making me feel melancholy.

I miss him too! Both as an historical and as a fantasy artist.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1591 on: January 13, 2020, 02:47:21 PM »
Me, three!

Always drooled at any and all S~World Campaign Adventures that were released!
GC was a great outline of what a canon campaign would look like!

MoAr!  ;)

…=…=

Re: nostalgic nods to the past - characters connected to the old RM2 covers - are always appreciated by fans - do it, do it, Rum and Coke!

Include stats for sure and please include an upside down, ethereal turtle with XS for eyes!  8)

Same here!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1592 on: January 14, 2020, 07:03:26 AM »
If you are talking about the guy with the Mohawk, I think he is an elf. I have no idea what the lion-guy would be...

The dinner party thing is great, I don't know how the module goes, but something like a costume ball where the PCs need to locate a specific person to get some information from (of an item, or both) could be fun. The different guests would each have their own background and motivations. That could be a less normal/boring method of introducing NPCs. Plus, all those that the PCs don't interact with can easily be used for other things, because the PCs wouldn't have really seen them, so if you happen to use one somewhere a-thousand miles away it won't matter. But, any sort of NPC guide would be great and of immense use.

Actually, in the new Haalkitaine I introduce a bunch of new NPCs who the PCs might meet at a social gathering. They include minor nobles, merchants, etc. All are fully stated, located beginning on page 60.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1593 on: January 14, 2020, 09:35:09 AM »
One of these days, this deserves a Shadow World adventure... maybe set in SW Emer, with some old Taranian tech elevator leading to an underground complex...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6p5Q6_JBes
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1594 on: January 14, 2020, 05:17:21 PM »
Good ole Double-D!!!
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1595 on: January 15, 2020, 04:36:28 AM »
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1596 on: January 15, 2020, 09:59:30 PM »
Good ole Double-D!!!
:o
I am sure you (all) got that, but just in case: Double D = Duran Duran.

I really didn't need to explain that did I?  ::)

Offline grodog

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1597 on: January 18, 2020, 01:55:43 PM »

Definitely!

I'm also still interested in understanding whether the large-format sewer maps are available now in the bundle on DriveThru, or if they'll be available separately?---I'd definitely like to get print versions of both the new city maps as well as the sewer maps.

Allna.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1598 on: January 18, 2020, 02:15:48 PM »

Definitely!

I'm also still interested in understanding whether the large-format sewer maps are available now in the bundle on DriveThru, or if they'll be available separately?---I'd definitely like to get print versions of both the new city maps as well as the sewer maps.

Allna.

http://

Definitely!

Allna.

I have uploaded it. I may take a day or so to appear in the archives. This is the highest quality available
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1599 on: January 22, 2020, 02:11:48 PM »
At the expense of self-promoting... My novel has been given by readers as a good window into the Shadow World, so it might be a good introduction. And I am working on the next book.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/117364/The-Loremaster-Legacy
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.