Author Topic: When did you start playing ICE rpg's?  (Read 58485 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: When did you start playing ICE rpg's?
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2019, 10:01:36 PM »
8114 River Running cover.
(Had to look it up ;))

Thanks -- nice job!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Madbat

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Artstation Gallery
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2019, 01:47:02 AM »
1st off, I just joined this forum, I never knew there was a dedicated group to I.C.E.

I first ran across it back in the mid 80's in High School playing D&D, and never went back. The sheer amount of detail in Rolemaster floored me. I snagged every book I could get my paws on including all the Spacemaster stuff, and later Rolemaster supplements. Warmaster was a huge part of some of my massive campaigns in the 90's.

Unfortunately life happened and a friend sold all my books, so I've been collecting the pdf versions from DriveThruRPG.com. I might start looking for an online group that plays through Discord or some such thing. As an aside, I also do 3D work, so I might be persuaded to do game related artwork for people. Here's my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/madbat
UFO's are big rigs far from home!

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2019, 05:31:02 AM »
Welcome back to it all, again, man!

Lots to see and relive on these boards, especially when comparing how your group house ruled things as no two RM games were ever GMd the same due to all the options available via the RoCos...

Lots of games out there to lurk or even join via Fantasy Grounds, Roll20, TTRPG.

Catch ours on Weds and Fris!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2019, 09:47:55 AM »
I like your Spaceship art; it might be good for SMU, assuming there is one in the future.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Madbat

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Artstation Gallery
« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2019, 04:02:45 PM »
Welcome back to it all, again, man!

Lots to see and relive on these boards, especially when comparing how your group house ruled things as no two RM games were ever GMd the same due to all the options available via the RoCos...

Lots of games out there to lurk or even join via Fantasy Grounds, Roll20, TTRPG.

Catch ours on Weds and Fris!

Thanks, I gave you a follow on Twitch!

Yup, everyone has a different style of doing things. I've never seen any two games ever played exactly the same.

As to art in SpaceMaster/Privateers and HarpSF, it's interesting to see a lot of Daz Studio/Poser stuff in there as artwork, but I always had a soft spot for pen and ink drawings and line work. Personally, I do need to do more ship art.
UFO's are big rigs far from home!

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2019, 07:20:46 AM »
Thanks for the follows, man.
Of course I was AWOL today, and didn’t have my normal setup with sound effects for weapon swings or bow twangs, heh.

That and not following the action via the dungeon maps that our GMs create!  Doh.
Next session I should be healed up again, for sure.

PS:  good on you for picking the art back up again if you do.

Offline Petard

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2019, 01:20:33 PM »
When MERP reached the UK we took it up and expanded to RM1 quickly. Now I'm persuading an established group to use RMSS/FRP for a campaign - if I get traction it will be time to buy another generation.

Offline NoelTorres

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2019, 06:12:52 PM »
I started with MERP in spanish, in Spain, so the Era I voted might not correlate with the original. I have a 1992 Joc Internacional's book while in ICE's Era it's a 1984 book.

I still GM with it.

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2019, 07:36:30 PM »
I went to college in Charlottesville, and played with the original ICE folks.  This was the late 80s but we played RM2 and SM2.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2019, 10:03:07 PM »
I went to college in Charlottesville, and played with the original ICE folks.  This was the late 80s but we played RM2 and SM2.

You have to give us more than this. Especially if you have embarassing stories about young Nicholas or Terry  ;)

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #150 on: August 29, 2019, 08:56:09 AM »

You have to give us more than this. Especially if you have embarassing stories about young Nicholas or Terry  ;)

Here's the embarrassing truth.  That was 30 years ago, and I really don't remember their names, (besides my housemate, who also gamed with us).  I am pretty sure I did not game with any of the founders, but with some of their early employees.  I was in Charlottesville almost a decade into ICE being founded. 

Offline txsnoop

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2020, 09:37:41 PM »
I started freshman in college in 1984 at St. Bonas...    We played 3 sessions with that group and I have been hooked ever since. The group broke up but I took over and was a DM for about 10 years.  Got burned out then then MMOs took over. :)    Started playing casual Dnd 5e with some work mates and my interest to Rolemaster  picked up once again.

Offline rich4421972

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2021, 10:32:27 PM »
Started playing after college 1998. Discovered HARP after playing Rolemaster for about a year
the bottom of each post or personal message

Offline Heilemann

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2021, 10:03:24 AM »
Somewhere around 1993 maybe? Revised second edition RM, updated Space Master. Good times.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2021, 10:10:14 AM »
Somewhere around 1993 maybe? Revised second edition RM, updated Space Master. Good times.

The best of times, imho!

At least until the present.

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2021, 11:05:20 AM »
I had been playing GDW Traveller for several years, and I wanted something different, that meshed vehicles into combat scenarios. My friend, who owned a comic book / gaming store, showed me a new game and said it had promise. I bought that first edition box and also the second edition box and finally the Privateers book. I have enjoyed the game for many years, but my main form of gaming these days takes place in my head mostly designing settings, vehicles, and ships.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2021, 12:54:50 PM »
I so loved the way Spacemaster integrated individual combat, vehicular combat, and space combat!

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2021, 01:26:26 PM »
Now if I could only find all the Spacemaster software that a guy named Felix created and put online years ago; when the internet was still useful for things other than shopping. I lost count of all the vehicles I used to create using his software.

Offline Roll 3d6

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2021, 06:09:49 PM »
I got my first taste with 1st edition MERP (made a character but that was it), but I REALLY got into RM with the 2nd edition "Classic" books in the late 80's.  Still have them all too.

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2021, 07:12:02 PM »
I first saw Rolemaster being advertised in a Middle Earth choose your own adventure book.  Then my cousin introduced me to RM2 with his collection of scanned Rolemaster material.  I created a character using RM2 and the Rolemaster Companion II.  I wanted to be a magician.  After that, in 1993, I bought my own RM2 books (except for Arms Law).

I collected a few RMSS books as a ambassador for ICE (that's how much I loved Rolemaster), and my cousin introduced me to RMSS, saying it's much easier than RM2/RMC. I played D&D 3rd Edition and Pathfinder, but Rolemaster was where it's at.