Author Topic: Grappling  (Read 2458 times)

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Grappling
« on: July 27, 2009, 03:16:00 AM »
During our last session one of my players used her new spell Web Bolt and received the following critical (we use H&S): "... Foe must make a Routine maneuver to break free. ... and is at -25 ...."

How would you play this in case of a Web Bolt?

Does it mean...

• a ...that the opponent can't move or fight until he broke free (-25 to all other actions).
  • b ...that the opponent can't move but fight with a simple -25 while held.
  • c ...that the opponent can move and fight with a simple -25 while held.

Thanks for clarifying :)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Grappling
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 07:48:26 AM »
1) While grappled, the foe is unable to perform any maneuvers other than to attempt to break/wriggle free.

2) That particular critical also says that foe is stunned 1 round and at -25 for three rounds.

3) Other criticals on that table do specify "while held", this critical (the G crit, (29-32)) is one of several that do not specify such, so there is no reason to think that the minus is only "while held", especially since there is room to include those two words in the critical entry.

Thus, you can conclude the following:

1) Foe cannot perform other actions except to attempt to break free of the grapple while held.

2) The penalty (-25) lasts for 3 rounds AFTER the 1 round of stun (-50, not allowed to attack) has completed.
3) If the character has broken free during the round of stun (he is allowed to try, but gets the -50 from being stunned), then he may make attacks during the 3 rounds in which he receives the -25.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:17:20 PM by Rasyr, Reason: fixed what I said incorrectly... »

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:16:02 AM »
The main point is: "Foe cannot perform other actions except to attempt to break free of the grapple while held." - However could you also explain this critical:

"... It will require a Medium maneuver to break free. Foe takes +13 hits, is stunned 5 rounds and is at -55 while held..."

As you said above he can't do anything except of breaking free and on page 49 (Bazaar Annual) you write: "However, the Maneuver Penalty given in the critical does not apply on attempts to break free of the grapple, just on other actions.".

So if he can't make any other action then breaking free, why do you specify a penalty here? Have I missed something, or is it only for special monsters immune to grappling?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »
Actually, my previous post was wrong (that is what happens when I try to answer questions from memory, rather than looking up the answers -- oopsey   ;D)

Characters are not limited to only trying to break the grapple. What they are allowed to do is determined by the GM, based on the type of grapple. Page 49, if you read the whole thing and the examples, should give the info needed.  :D

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 12:59:40 AM »
Yes, much closer now to what I thought ;D Thanks!

So, the penalty IS the "grappling". I mean all other restrictions are up to the GM for situational modifiers (e.g.: if grappled by an anaconda he can't move away until he break free). OK?

Could anybody then think of something the direct attack spell Web Bolt could do? Of course the player could do tricky stunts like spider-man ;) but if somebody simply shoots the bolt, I would say that there are no further restrictions than the possible penalty.

Offline Pat

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 09:07:02 AM »
I don't know if you want to but you could also use contortions skill to escape a grapple attack (if the grappled character is more thief based rather than one with high strength.) It's a little bit off the topic but you may want to use it.

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 10:54:09 AM »
Yes, I allow it and I also use Wrestling to counter Wresting.