Author Topic: Human Racial Bonuses  (Read 809 times)

Offline Falconer

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Human Racial Bonuses
« on: May 04, 2023, 01:50:17 PM »
I am a GM new to HARP (I am planning to run The Iron Wind, 1980 ed.), and my players it will be even more new. (Well, we’re coming from AD&D 1e.) I worry about this step in character creation:

Quote from: HARP Core Book, p. 19 of the 2004 ed.
Humans do not have fixed racial bonuses. Players of a human character have 8 points [10 points according to the 2012 ed.] to divide any way they like between the 8 racial stat bonuses. No stat may have a bonus greater than +3.

I worry about this step since it seems like a lot of decision-making to put on a player who might be completely new to the system. An experienced GM might have some solid advice to offer at this point, but I am not an experienced GM. I fear my players will shy away from playing humans simply because other races have a lot less decision-making to do.

I am putting together a “quick” character creation document for my group, and I wanted to put in some advice at this step. Any experienced HARP GMs out there, if you were walking a brand new player through this step of character creation, what would be some stock advice that you could offer?

I know it’s not as huge a deal as I’m making it seem, but I just thought there might be some simple common sense logic which is obvious to experienced GMs. If it were just 3 points I would just say just put it all in your key stat(s). But it’s 8-10. Say you’re a Mage, you put 3 in Reasoning and 3 in Insight; you still have a lot left. *shrug*

Offline nash

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Homepage
Re: Human Racial Bonuses
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 02:06:28 PM »
First I'd suggest not to stress too much about it - relay that to your players.  Getting it "totally" wrong won't have a great impact.

After that, yeah, 3 in your professions PRs, then the rest in what your player sees as their characters main other strengths.   

And let them change after creation if you realise it's not right. 

Offline Falconer

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 07:26:30 PM »
Thanks very much. Based on just that little bit (plus what you said on Discord), I will be able to offer a few bullet-point suggestions.

Offline craig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 10:22:18 PM »
Show them the Master Skill List in Chapter 6 "Skills", it's just before the descriptions of each skill.  This will give an overview of what stats affect each skill.

BTW, SD is a good stat for lots of professions - it's good for spell casters (every caster uses SD and one other stat for their spells, and PP Dev uses SD + In); good for hit points (Endurance uses Co + SD); good for stealth (Stalk & Hide uses SD + Ag); helps with Perception (SD + In); Martial Arts styles use SD; and more.  SD is good choice if the player can't think of anything else to put some bonus points into.

For a Mage, I'd say that Re + SD is more important than Re + In - although RE + SD + In is even better (a human Mage can have +3 in all three and +1 in something else, maybe Qu to help with DB and Initiative)

BTW, stat bonuses don't have a huge effect anyway.  The effects of stats are more noticeable at low levels, but are rapidly outpaced by skill ranks (even at level 1, 6 ranks in a skill gives +30 and at level 2, 9 ranks gives +45) and bonuses from Professions and Talents (typically ranging from +10 to +30).   Most balanced characters won't have more than a +10 bonus for any stat so at most that will add up to +20 (+10 from each of two relevant stats)....certainly good and worth having, but not worth worrying too much about - the difference between having +5 in a stat and +7 or +8 isn't that big a deal.

e.g. St and Ag are good for weapon skills and most combat styles, but even a clumsy & weak (low Ag & St) character can be a dangerous fighter due to skill ranks (and can improve their physical stats too as they level up).

Also worth noting since you're coming from D&D: +5 in HARP is roughly equivalent to +1 in D&D....but not as significant because it's much more common to get bonuses & penalties of 5, 10, 15 or more to various skills.

Offline Falconer

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 11:09:19 AM »
Excellent advice, thanks!