Author Topic: new in rolemaster fantasy  (Read 4793 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: new in rolemaster fantasy
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »
That depends upon the speed at which you would like the characters to increase in ability and the base style of your game. By style I mean, is it a gritty game where things are tough and failure is often, with injury and death always close at hand? Or is it more heroic/high-fantasy, where the PCs are very capable and regularly do tings we here on Earth would deem seriously implausible (in the least)? More points equal more capabilities and more high-action/adventure, whereas less points equal more gritty-"realism" style play.

As someone who like the more heroic/high-action style, I would give out at least 80, probably 90, maybe even 100 per level - in the older edition of RM: Rolemaster Fantasy Roleplaying (or Rolemaster the Standard System). With RMU, I don't know it well enough, but it seems like it might be a bit lower in the number of skills department, so more like 70-80 maybe.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 11:28:30 AM »
That depends upon the speed at which you would like the characters to increase in ability and the base style of your game. By style I mean, is it a gritty game where things are tough and failure is often, with injury and death always close at hand? Or is it more heroic/high-fantasy, where the PCs are very capable and regularly do tings we here on Earth would deem seriously implausible (in the least)? More points equal more capabilities and more high-action/adventure, whereas less points equal more gritty-"realism" style play.

As someone who like the more heroic/high-action style, I would give out at least 80, probably 90, maybe even 100 per level - in the older edition of RM: Rolemaster Fantasy Roleplaying (or Rolemaster the Standard System). With RMU, I don't know it well enough, but it seems like it might be a bit lower in the number of skills department, so more like 70-80 maybe.

+1.

I give 100dp/lvl.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline grumhs

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 08:11:39 AM »

+1.

I give 100dp/lvl.

ok perfect , thank you so much, I prefer to give a fixed number of DP per level rather than relying in the characters stats   both comments sound reasonable.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »
The great thing about fixed DP is a player no longer has to be punished for wanting to play an idiot, a hedonist, a clutz , a cripple or just an average Joe.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 06:14:12 PM »
I'm of the methods I prefer is give 100 DP at first level and 80 DP thereafter (RMSS).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline grumhs

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »
The great thing about fixed DP is a player no longer has to be punished for wanting to play an idiot, a hedonist, a clutz , a cripple or just an average Joe.

And also the char creation is easier because the player  does not have to think which are the stats that gives development points, for a new player there are too many things to take into consideration.