Author Topic: How do I make an editable PDF character sheet?  (Read 8611 times)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
How do I make an editable PDF character sheet?
« on: October 31, 2013, 04:29:39 PM »
I currently play HARP. I've looked and found a few HARP character sheets that you can enter information on in the appropriate spots but they are based on the older "un-enhanced" versions of HARP, so they are missing a few things. I would like to create one for my group and to put it in the vault.
I've done a little research in this and found out that adobe now charges (a subscription fee) people for the ability to make a PDF with fields one can edit. Does anyone know of a program (free) where I can create a PDF with fields others can enter in info as needed?
I've heard open office does this, but I discovered open office is a memory hog. That is not a good thing on this old laptop I have. The MS office suite (older version) I have actually runs without using barely any memory. 
So is there any hope outside open office?

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: How do I make an editable PDF character sheet?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:28:44 AM »
If memory serves, I think you need software similar to Adobe Acrobat Pro to create editable fields.  I have never found any software that will save a PDF with editable fields without having to pay for it.

Look into these as less expensive alternatives.

Cute PDF Form Filler

Cute PDF Pro

At least I think these are less expensive than Adobe Acrobat Pro.

I am not sure because I have never tried it, but I do not think Open Office will create editable PDFs.  Maybe others have more info.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 12:49:26 AM »
Have you tried LaTeX?

As far as I know LaTeX is an abomination of a learning curve but well worth the effort. I am not completely sure LaTeX can help you with this particular problem, but I would be surprised.  ???
Nihil scire felicissima vita.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 12:13:25 PM »
As far as I can tell LaTex in itself is not a PDF creator/editor. It may allow one to convert or create basic PDF's but creating a form fill PDF is something that only actual PDF programs have. LaTex seems more like a writing program with basic programming in it.

But like I said "as far as I can tell...", it might be possible with some more advanced basic programming techniques to create a form filler PDF. But even simple basic programming eludes me.

Bruce

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 07:31:57 AM »
A co-worker suggested to take a look at software called "word to pdf." In his opinion this free program would allow you to create fields in .pdf-documents you can later on fill information in. I do not know if this solves your problem.  ???

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 11:57:58 AM »
A co-worker suggested to take a look at software called "word to pdf." In his opinion this free program would allow you to create fields in .pdf-documents you can later on fill information in. I do not know if this solves your problem.  ???
That is exactly what I need.
i tried it and it didn't automatically convert any fields into PDF format that I can add info , nor did I see an option to create a PDF with fields to edit. It doesn't seem any different from the other pdf programs out there. If you could, ask your co-worker if he has created editable pdfs in that program and how he did it.

From what I can tell is that whomever wanted to use the PDF to edit it, they would have to convert back to word. A few of my players don't have MS word. I need to create editable pdf's where they can enter info in the fields as a pdf. Otherwise not converting it back and forth from word to pdf to word to pdf, etc....
There is a HARP character sheet in the vault made by cute pdf where you can do that. It was made using a trial version that lasts for only 30 days. That character sheet is out of date with the recent rules "enhancement".
Bruce

P.S I am uncomfortable with saying "enhanced rules", I think I will start saying HARP version 1.2 (or would it be 1.3 or higher at this point?), not a new edition, just an update.

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 01:18:20 AM »
Will ask the co-worker. I hope he can help with that.  :(

If your players want an editable character sheet and the only problem to convert the format is the time and effort (and MS Office), then you ought to take a look at Open Office. It is free and open source and it is very similar to MS Office and you can convert any OO-document into a .pdf-file. Plus you can use the software with Windows, Linux or MacOS.

Thus you could prepare the character sheet with it, your players could edit it until they are satisfied and click on a button and have a .pdf-file.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 01:18:36 PM »
Well, to be honest there is more than just that issue. Each has their own reasons. One doesn't have a real computer (phone/tablet), so what ever I use has to be viewable and editable on android & apple products. As far as I know only PDF's have that capability. I also want to make it so others on these forums can use the character sheets. going back and forth is a time consuming and somewhat tedious thing. Also, if you didn't know open office is a memory hog compared to MS office. I got lucky and have an older version of MS office that works fine. The laptop I run everything off of is 9 years old and only has 2gb of RAM so Open Office really bogs it down, whereas MS office hardly uses any RAM at all.
In this endeavor I am limited in my choices. A friend of mine says he has an older version of adobe pro that I can use, but I am not sure if it is registered or how many people can be registered on it. I might try it out sometime soon though.

Bruce