Author Topic: GM Needs Advice  (Read 939 times)

Offline Urlord

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
GM Needs Advice
« on: January 28, 2023, 06:14:21 PM »
Hello Fellow Role Masters!

For 2023, I have been asked by my long-time players to run a game in RoleMaster (FRP version). I have 5 players all starting off at 1st level. However, levels 1-4 will have x2 experience rewards just so they can get to level 5 somewhat sooner while still enjoying the lower level progression.

Over the last two weeks I have created a starting town and a map of the surrounding area. The very isolated town sits in the foothills of a tall mountain range (think Himalaya Range). This range is known for strong essence flows, unpredictable essence storms, strange creatures, barriers, rifts, et. al. There are two main attractions for this town:

1 - A Magical Research Center called “The Academy”, that is studying the concentration of essence flows in the area.

2 - A mountain climbing industry that includes herb assisted expeditions to the summit of a mountain like K2 (28,000+ feet).

My question today centers around the Academy. This research center has 21 departments dedicated to different area of study (weather, geology, flora, fauna, etc.). Each department has 20-30 staff members lead by a head scholar.

I want this town to have the Eureka vibe (2006-2012 TV show) with the essence concentration causing weird things to happen periodically getting the PCs involved.

Now, that you have the backstory, here are my three questions…

Power Level - What levels should the 21 Head Scholars be? They will be the highest level NPCs in the town.

Departments - What departments (research areas) could exist at the Academy?

Weirdness - What are some weird happenings that could occur that would be temporary and involve the player characters?

Offline The Chorned Jat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: GM Needs Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 08:24:37 PM »
(not watched Eureka, maybe I'll look into that!)
Power Level - What levels should the 21 Head Scholars be?
With that many of them, I would use a wide range so that some of them are indeed high level, but not all of them. My hot take would be a roll 1d10+6 or 2d10 for their levels.

Departments - What departments (research areas) could exist at the Academy?
Pretty much anything really. You have listed some, you could easily have one department specific to each true element. Perhaps if you have elaborated the Magic Ritual skill - the different categories of rituals could each be considered to department?

Weirdness - What are some weird happenings that could occur that would be temporary and involve the player characters?
Weird essence flow teleports them to an extra-dimensional space for ten minutes.  RM companion I has earthnodes and earthblood (tied into early Arcane magic, but that would not have to be the case in your game of course) and Shadow World also elaborated and extended a similar concept - those might be good resources to plunder!   

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 10:41:59 AM »
Fun questions! I love Eureka, so I'll see what I come up with for that third questions.
Power Level: I would aim for 20-25th level for the "full professors" and 10-15 for the "staff and assistant professors." Some departments could be lacking full professors for some reasons, and left with just staff. What happened to the full professors could be adventure fodder. Part of my reasoning on these levels is, if they're teaching or doing research, they need enough PP to cast the spells they would be using every day, or on "big project" days. (I'm sort of assuming many/most faculty will be casters, but that's really a bad assumption  :-\)

Departments: I think your starting list is good. Rather than giving you a list, I offer two guiding ideas.
(1) What classes of faculty do you want to have? Those can then specialize in spell lists or skills that help define departments. Start with this and then add some more esoteric departments (Perfume making...Essence Dance...High altitude athletics...)
(2) Your numbers give an Academy staff level of 400-600, and that staff has to have a town that supports it, or in-house resources. So they need food,  sanitation, paper/research supplies, beasts of burden, etc. You can build much of this into the departments and their staff, as well as their daily routine. Animists who tend to the livestock used to work the Academy fields for food. Alchemists, both magical and mundane, who make the paper, ink, reagents, crucibles, whatever. Engineers from the engineering program who use "Wall" spells and mundane methods to build and repair the campus. Not every department has to contribute to the Academy's operations, but it may help add some less obvious departments and flesh out how your town runs.

Weirdness: There are always explosions of unknown origin. Magical constructs and golems going out of control. Weather spells gone awry. Combinations of those, so maybe a weather spell crosses with a golem construction and the golem is inert but the creator has control of a cloud but doesn't realize it. Or the golem throws lightning but the creator can't control that part. Throw in an NPC who's brilliant but socially clueless and tends to fumble the fix a few times before getting it right. Invisibility pockets that drift through town and wreak havoc. Strange food resulting from the agricultural experiments. Smoke coming from an unknown source - where there's smoke but no fire. Then later they find out the fire was in a totally different place. Someone's "human kindness" weak charm spell being more powerful than intended and resulting in sudden romances or outright debauchery in the streets. (Or same spell leading to excessing politeness like the chipmunks in the Looney Tunes' Goofy Gophers. Nothing gets done because everyone is stuck in a "no, by all means, after you" loop.)
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 10:46:06 AM »

I want this town to have the Eureka vibe (2006-2012 TV show) with the essence concentration causing weird things to happen periodically getting the PCs involved.

To really capture a Eureka vibe, you need a Sheriff Carter - the nonwizard, high-school level practical person who doesn't have a clue how all the fancy stuff works but ends up saving the day. And all of the smarties are condescending towards that person, but have some degree of unspoken respect.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Mordenkainen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 11:11:44 PM »
Very interesting setting! How's it going?
My only real thought is that an academy with 400-600 staff is flippin' enormous in the context of most fantasy settings. Are they sequestered away from general society like a monastery or large abbey? Or are they part and parcel of the town? If the latter, I would imagine that a large support economy has grown around them. In fact, the town would likely grow to be thousands strong on the back of such an institute, and would approach being a city rather than a town. Such a place would likely not be a little, out of the way settlement, but a legendary and powerful expression of the nation or polity that it is part of.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 10:25:27 AM »

To really capture a Eureka vibe, you need a Sheriff Carter - the nonwizard, high-school level practical person who doesn't have a clue how all the fancy stuff works but ends up saving the day. And all of the smarties are condescending towards that person, but have some degree of unspoken respect.

Exactly.  THAT is what I loved about Eureka.

Arakish
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.