Author Topic: Castles & Ruins issues  (Read 1364 times)

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Castles & Ruins issues
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:07:24 PM »
I haven't taken extensive notes on much of the text because it isn't relevant to anything I'm doing now, but I did note that in section 6.1.6, on page 47, on the "TYPICAL MILL INCOME CHART", the second column is labeled "Gain". It should be "Grain". Also, at the top of the second column of text, second regular line of text, "states" should be "statues".

33.1 Perimeter Wardings
Phase Ward III (lvl 17) and Gating Ward III (lvl 18) have the same descriptions as the "II" versions of these spells. I expect that the RR penalty should actually read "-50" as with Scrying Ward III.

33.2 Structure Wardings
The heading on the list and Note 1 disagree as to the default Realm of this list (list has Essence, note has Channeling).

There is a spacing issue on Preservation Ward I (lvl 5) and again on Preservation Ward III (lvl 17) which reduces readability, but all the information is there, just shifted out of the proper columns.

Flame Ward (lvl 7) is "Flame Ward I" on the list, but the version without the "I" in the description should be the correct name, as there is no other Flame Ward spell.

Elemental Ward II (lvl 25): Should the RR (as described in Elemental Ward I) also apply to all elements?

33.3 Item Enhancements
Enchant I (lvl 1) and Power Glow (lvl 2) have duration listed as "1 mn/lvl". Is this intended to be one month per level or was the "i" left out of "min/lvl"?

Enchant II (lvl 7), Enchant III (lvl 13), and Enchant IV (lvl 19) list duration as "-". Presumably, this should be the same as Enchant I.

Free Cost IV (lvl 30) listed as "Fee Cast IV" on the list.

The level 50 spell is on the list as "Reverse Effects", but given as "Reverse Effect" in the description.

33.4 Metal Crafting
In title of list on the list form "Metal" is not capitalized.

Engrave (lvl 10) has a listed Duration of "caster". It should be "P".

33.5 Stone Crafting
Work Stone (lvl 3) refers to "Stone craftsing" skill.

33.6 Glass/Ceramic Crafting
Level 7 spell is called "Anneal" in its description, but "Anneal Glass" on the list.

33.8 Gargoyle Mastery
Detect Spirits (lvl 3) misspelled as "Detect Sprits" in description.

Instruct (lvl 4) misspelled as "Intstruct" on list.

Expel Spirit I (lvl 7): "remove one of spirit" should be "remove one spirit".

Work Magic Stone (lvl 15) has an Area of Effect of "1 CF/lvl". The Area of Effect for Work... spells is usually "self" or "caster".

Cleanse Magic Stone (lvl 16) is essentially the same spell as Cleanse Stone (lvl 2) except for applying to magical stone, but Area of Effect is inconsistent ("1 gargoyle" - which isn't even correct since it isn't a gargoyle at this point - versus "caster"). There's also an inconsistency in Range, but going from touch to 10' can be accounted for by spell level.

33.9 Sacred Ground
Cleanse Grounds (lvl 1) has a listed Duration of "C". Why? Is it intended that 10 square feet are cleansed each round? How long then does the area stay cleansed?

Consecrate Grounds II (lvl 11) and Consecrate Grounds III (lvl 20) refer to "Consecrate Grount I".

Sanctify Structure II (lvl 13) and Sanctify Structure III (lvl 30) have the misspellings "diety" and "Influcence". Holy Ground (lvl 50) also has the typo "diety".

34.0 ATTACK TABLES
It's a little disappointing to not get a real set of siege engine crits and fumbles, but that's not actually broken.

I am going to question why the "CRITICAL DAMAGE TO STRUCTURES" table goes all the way up to "J" crits when none of the siege engine attack tables go past a "G".

So why do I care when spells aren't listed consistently with regard to their names, especially when I've encouraged varying what spells and lists are called between different cultures?
Because in the actual game rules, we need to be able to refer to various spells and this is difficult when we don't know what they are called. Even minor variations can somewhat slow look up... and Rolemaster certainly does not need longer look up times. Additionally, it makes it unclear how the spell should be indexed (and indexing under both names just compounds the problem).
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Castles & Ruins issues
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »
"I am going to question why the "CRITICAL DAMAGE TO STRUCTURES" table goes all the way up to "J" crits when none of the siege engine attack tables go past a "G"."

My hypothesis here would be using spells against structures, for exemple Lightning Bolt.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 08:45:01 AM »
There's no indication that is intended. As normal weapon attacks are referred to the Spell Law rules for attacking objects, I would expect spell attack tables (absent some Siege Elements list), scaled to the same human scale as the Arms Law weapons, to continuing using those same rules.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »
OK, I suspect nobody would dispute any of these:

I haven't taken extensive notes on much of the text because it isn't relevant to anything I'm doing now, but I did note that in section 6.1.6, on page 47, on the "TYPICAL MILL INCOME CHART", the second column is labeled "Gain". It should be "Grain". Also, at the top of the second column of text, second regular line of text, "states" should be "statues".

There is a spacing issue on Preservation Ward I (lvl 5) and again on Preservation Ward III (lvl 17) which reduces readability, but all the information is there, just shifted out of the proper columns.

Flame Ward (lvl 7) is "Flame Ward I" on the list, but the version without the "I" in the description should be the correct name, as there is no other Flame Ward spell.

Free Cost IV (lvl 30) listed as "Fee Cast IV" on the list.

The level 50 spell is on the list as "Reverse Effects", but given as "Reverse Effect" in the description.

33.4 Metal Crafting
In title of list on the list form "Metal" is not capitalized.

Engrave (lvl 10) has a listed Duration of "caster". It should be "P".

33.5 Stone Crafting
Work Stone (lvl 3) refers to "Stone craftsing" skill.

33.6 Glass/Ceramic Crafting
Level 7 spell is called "Anneal" in its description, but "Anneal Glass" on the list.

33.8 Gargoyle Mastery
Detect Spirits (lvl 3) misspelled as "Detect Sprits" in description.

Instruct (lvl 4) misspelled as "Intstruct" on list.

Expel Spirit I (lvl 7): "remove one of spirit" should be "remove one spirit".

Consecrate Grounds II (lvl 11) and Consecrate Grounds III (lvl 20) refer to "Consecrate Grount I".

Sanctify Structure II (lvl 13) and Sanctify Structure III (lvl 30) have the misspellings "diety" and "Influcence". Holy Ground (lvl 50) also has the typo "diety".

So why do I care when spells aren't listed consistently with regard to their names, especially when I've encouraged varying what spells and lists are called between different cultures?
Because in the actual game rules, we need to be able to refer to various spells and this is difficult when we don't know what they are called. Even minor variations can somewhat slow look up... and Rolemaster certainly does not need longer look up times. Additionally, it makes it unclear how the spell should be indexed (and indexing under both names just compounds the problem).

If you do, speak up before I put them in the errata. (Rdan, in a few instances where you point out an error, you might want to point out the corrected text).
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com