Forum > Rolemaster

RM Ver. 3 - Table 4.6

(1/2) > >>

Lemche:
Hi,

I was just browsing through my old RM ver. 3 books when I stumbled upon table 4.6 (Spell Casting Modifications Table), page 194.

It has some modifications of casting spells that I have not seen described in any other books.
Apparently it is possible to cast a Class III spell as a Class I spell without the 6 level under rule.
You also get a bonus for preparing a spell for more than 3 rounds.

The table does also give mods on incantations which I haven't seen anywhere else.

Does anyone know if this was just a adjustment to RM3 or if this can be seen as standard rules up to RM Classic?

Thanks
Flemming

terefang:
i think you refer to RMSS Table 4.6 with rules starting at page 193.

please note that spell development and casting rules from RMSS/FRP
are different from RM2 or Classic in several ways.

the rules in RMSS have their roots in several optional rules from the RM2 companions.

i would not mix these rules with RM2/RMC, unless you have also evaluated the original sources in the companions.

Majyk:
When I finally bought the RMSS(RMFRP) books, this chart became my goto for my RM2(RMC) games ever after!
It did open up quite the higher range of Spell Fumbles because of the extra nega-mods, though, LOL.

It definitely helps heighten critical encounters where the need for time isn’t available to a Caster!  Do they push the safety net boundaries of casting within their means in order to save the day?
They choose!

It helped that I house ruled adding one’s Magic Realm stat as part of one’s Base Attack Roll(called SCSM in RMSS/RMFRP) to actually show how powerful a Spelluser actually was in their Art vs Profession Level alone - which I continue to hate this limitation to this day…”ho hum, we’re all clones with only our level to show the differences of our powers.”

To wit, I do enjoy High Fantasy but logically there are no ways to prove one is gifted in RAW for spell casting…absolutely none, and I fixed that with the HR above.

Enjoy using it like I did.

Hurin:
You might be happy to know that RMU uses a similar chart. You can see much of that RMSS chart's DNA in the RMU casting chart 4-1, 'Spell Casting Modifications'.

RMU also does allow casters to add their realm stat bonus to the Spell Casting Roll (SCR) by default. So that house rule we've all been playing with for decades is now official.

terefang:
i might be reading the RMSS rules wrong,
but my reading suggest that the realm-stat is factered already into the spell-skill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version