Forum > Rolemaster

Query: Does any one take directed spell?

<< < (4/4)

intothatdarkness:

--- Quote from: Hurin on August 25, 2022, 08:50:31 AM ---If you don't use the optional spell attack variability rule, if you're short on Power Points, or if you are fighting high hit point enemies such as a Tyrannosaurus, then it is ideal to have a high Directed Spell bonus.

In my campaigns, every caster maximizes the skill. I don't think there have been any exceptions.

--- End quote ---

Same here. And I've loaded up on it the few times I've played a caster with directed spells. It simply makes no sense NOT to.

Tommi:
To learn directerd spell - it is enough to be able to cast the spell daily. Thus daily item will allow skill development even at level 1. e.g. RMSS amateurmage TP often gives daily item that allows casting 2nd or 3rd level spell (enough for shock bolt). Depending on talent / background option used PC may have higher level daily items ...

Not maxing directed spell ranks or having just a few while using RM2, RMC or RMSS is possible because dir spell attack tables have quite large built in bonus compared to weapon tables. After 10 (or 10 + 10 in RMSS)  ranks need to buy more may not be as important. However almost all mages I've seen have maxed some directed spell

RMU beta attack tables however are quite different and more comparable to weapon tables. I expect all maxing directed spell skill

PiXeL01:
Any caster of mine with a bolt spell had that spell maxed. Magicians would stop at perhaps 10 ranks except for Ice Bolt and Lightning bolts in RM2.

I always wanted it to be a similar (50% of highest ranks to all other skills) as the technique could be considered similar though handling the element might be different.

Hurin:

--- Quote from: PiXeL01 on September 08, 2022, 06:37:13 AM ---I always wanted it to be a similar (50% of highest ranks to all other skills) as the technique could be considered similar though handling the element might be different.

--- End quote ---

Am pretty sure one of the RM2 companions offered that option (probably Companion II).

Majyk:
Yup, that was how I always allowed it.
It meant one used their Shockbolt(as a Magician) Dir. spell ranks - half of ‘em - until one developed more ranks with the higher spells(Water/Fire/Ice/Lightning/Plasma, etc.)

--- Quote from: PiXeL01 on September 08, 2022, 06:37:13 AM ---Any caster of mine with a bolt spell had that spell maxed. Magicians would stop at perhaps 10 ranks except for Ice Bolt and Lightning bolts in RM2.

I always wanted it to be a similar (50% of highest ranks to all other skills) as the technique could be considered similar though handling the element might be different.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version