Forum > Rolemaster

Query: Does any one take directed spell?

<< < (3/4) > >>

MisterK:

--- Quote from: Hurin on August 25, 2022, 08:50:31 AM ---If you don't use the optional spell attack variability rule, if you're short on Power Points, or if you are fighting high hit point enemies such as a Tyrannosaurus, then it is ideal to have a high Directed Spell bonus.

In my campaigns, every caster maximizes the skill. I don't think there have been any exceptions.

--- End quote ---
Same here, though it might also be out of habit :)

However, there was typically a drop of DS skills for specific bolts when later (more powerful) bolts became available - Lightning Bolt being usually the favoured type as soon as it was available.

EltonJ:
When I made my first magician, I didn't take the directed spell (although I did start in Light Law).  I was planning to take directed spell when I got the shock bolt spell.

MisterK:

--- Quote from: EltonJ on August 25, 2022, 10:17:23 PM ---When I made my first magician, I didn't take the directed spell (although I did start in Light Law).  I was planning to take directed spell when I got the shock bolt spell.

--- End quote ---
Theoretically, the basic rule is that you cannot take the DS skill until you have the spell to cast. A provision was made (I don't remember in which edition) that you could take the DS skill in the same level as the one you acquired the spell (acquiring both in the same development).

I'm not sure is having the spell available but in overcasting was allowed or not.

Hurin:
And, since we're in the general Rolemaster forum, it is worth noting that RMU makes Elemental Bolt a single specialization of Directed Spell. So you get skill in all Elemental Bolts with one skill.

jdale:
But also it's a lot harder to get a meaningful hit without a decent OB. That low level bolt is actually a big advantage because you can start developing that skill earlier in your career.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version