Author Topic: The (better) half  (Read 617 times)

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The (better) half
« on: April 11, 2022, 12:44:27 PM »
No, this is not about marriage. This is about half-elves (and half-orcs, and other halves).

Half-elves are given standard stat modifiers in RM2 and RMSS/FRP. I've not seen any in RMU, but it might only be a matter of time. They are presented as a distinct race.

In Shadow World, there are several races of half-elves (with different racial profiles). They are obviously distinct races as well.

None of those seem to represent *half-elves* - people born of a human and an elf parents.

How do you handle half-elves from a technical point of view ?

Do you go the easy way (average modifiers, and that's what you get), with the image being that a half-elf is half a human and half an elf (add both, a pinch of salt, shake, bake for one hour) ?
Do you go the yes/no way (you might be a hybrid, but for everything that counts, you are either human or elf - pick a race and roll with it) ?
Do you go all random (for each attribute, roll : 1-50 means you inherit from your father's side, 51-100 means you inherit from your mother's side. Roll those bones and find out) ?

How do you handle it, overall ?

[I'm assuming the setting is *not* Middle Earth].

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: The (better) half
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 02:51:56 PM »
RMU gives +2 Ag, +2 Pr, +2 Qu, -3 SD, +2 St.

In our formerly RMSS game, there are some cultural groups with enough ancestry that they are basically half-elven, although they don't identify that way (in fact the players generally aren't even aware of it), and because there is very little cultural contact between elves and humans, mixed parentage half-elves are rare (but not unknown). In the RMU games I am running, there are no half-elves and children take after their mothers.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: The (better) half
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 06:28:28 PM »
I use race specific talents and flaws in RMSS that are also tied to separate cultures(I split out race and culture so you have to buy your culture with talent points). The world is partially based on Middle Earth and an example of some of the talents available to humans from certain cultures are:

Edain Ancestry(lesser):One or more of your ancestors were edain. Lifespan is increased to 70-120 years. Body development becomes 0.7.3.2.1. One of CO, EM, PR, or ST is increased +1. Most of the common folk of Arowyn, Arthedain, and Cardolan can claim this ancestry.[3 TP]

Edain Ancestry(minor): You are of mixed edain ancestry. Lifespan is increased to 70-120 years. Body development becomes 0.6.5.2.1. CO and two of ST, EM, or PR is increased +1.[5 TP]

Edain Ancestry(major):  Either one of your parents was edain or you are of mixed edain ancestry. Lifespan is increased to 70-120 years. Body development becomes 0.6.5.2.1. CO is increased by +2,  EM, PR, and ST are increased +1. Recovery changes to 0.9, soul departure is reduced to 11 rounds. Fear RR increases to +5 and Endurance is increased +10ExP.[8 TP]

I haven't had any players wanting half elves in my game so haven't had to create and cost a talent for them yet, but I would follow similar logic to the talents above. If the player wanted an elven culture, I would probably make it a flaw on the elven race base, if they wanted a human culture I would probably make it a talent on the human base.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson