Forum > Spacemaster

Merging Spacemaster with the Traveller universe

<< < (2/5) > >>

Hurin:
Can anyone give a brief summary of how Traveller differs from Spacemaster?

I am also wondering if one could use say Starfinder (Paizo's Space RPG) adventure modules for Spacemaster. Starfinder offers some high production value offerings, both in print and as adventures for VTTs, and I would love to have the resources to play Spacemaster in Roll20.

Hansuke:
The first difference that comes to mind is travel. Traveller (TRAV) communication cannot travel any faster than a ship with J-6 jump drive. TRAV ships cannot jump above 6 parsecs and each jump takes a week. If you converted to Spacemaster (SPAM), I think you should hold Translight drive ratings to a maximum of 2, or maybe 3 at the very most. And in SPAM all translight displacements would take a minimum of 7 days. So instead of travelling 2 light years in one day with a Translight Rating 2 ship, you would have to make a journey of 7 days for anywhere from 1 to 14 light years.

Hansuke:

--- Quote from: RandalThor on March 22, 2021, 07:34:09 PM ---I would LOVE to see a Traveller style character generation system for Spacemaster. That would be a hoot!

--- End quote ---

I was thinking about this also. I think one could take the basic character generation chart from 1st edition Traveller (or Starter Traveller since its free at DriveThru) and convert skills and characteristic results into percentages and see where that goes. But I think a skill conversion chart should be created first and then the relevant SPAM skills be put in place of Traveller skills.

Hansuke:
Here is my Scouts Service Personal Development Table. I know this is piecemeal but I can only multitask so much.

Scouts - Personal Development Table

1d100Result1-17+8 Strength (St)18-33+8 Quickness (Qu) 34-50+8 Constitution (Co)51-67Gun Cbt (+2 Skill Ranks)68-83+8 Reasoning (Re) 84-100+8 Memory (Me)
If you roll Gun Cbt (Gun Combat) then roll again for the weapon category:
You can take both skill ranks in the first category that you roll or you can roll twice and take 1 skill rank in each category that you roll

1d100Gun Cbt1-81-handed Projectile9-152-handed Projectile16-23Support Projectile24-311-handed Energy32-382-handed Energy39-46Support Energy47-54Portable Launchers55-621-handed Edged Weapons63-691-handed Crushing Weapons70-772-handed Weapons78-85Bows86-92Thrown Weapons93-100Pole Arms

Hansuke:
Scouts Prior Service Table (1d100)

Enlistment 45+
>DM of +15 if Reasoning (Re) 30+
>DM of +30 if Strength (St) 60+

Draft 51-67

Survival 45+
>DM of +30 if Constitution (Co) 75+

Commission No

Promotion No

Reenlist 5+

Navigation