Forum > Rolemaster

TWC and full parry

<< < (2/7) > >>

Ecthelion:

--- Quote from: Marc R on January 09, 2011, 01:57:51 AM ---First, if you go full parry, and get the "Shield Bonus" for the weapons, does the -20 off hand penalty from the dagger preclude you from going more than 30 DB for "full parry"?
--- End quote ---
Yes, it does. If you still want the option of making two attack while parrying as much as possible with that option, then you are restricted by the lower of the two OBs. So in most cases it is the better choice to use only the OB of the primary weapon for parrying and forfeit the second attack (which most likely be of no use anyways with +0 OB).

--- Quote ---Second, if you go full parry for the shield bonus. . .do you get +5 for the sword, and +5 for the dagger for +10, or is the +5 added to both weapons giving you +55 and +35, before the "not doubled, counted once for both weapons" is applied, giving you just the +55?

--- End quote ---
I think the +5 to DB should only be granted for weapons that attack with +0 OB (not counting material bonus) in the round. So only the dagger in this example.

Ecthelion:

--- Quote from: rdanhenry on January 09, 2011, 03:00:31 AM ---Note that TWC is capped by skill ranks in the weapons, not skill bonus as some posts have seemed to imply.

--- End quote ---
Not that it matters much for this discussion, but the MAC defines this differently and uses a cap on the skill bonus. IMHO this (later) ruling is the better choice.

Ecthelion:

--- Quote from: rdanhenry on January 09, 2011, 02:56:58 AM ---Checking the description of TWC on p. 162 of RMSR, I am of the opinion that the -20 does not apply, since the skill already assumes the existence of a style where one weapon is used "normally" in the off-hand.

--- End quote ---
We handled it this way for quite a long time since RoCo2 has IIRC a similar description. Only later, I think here in the forums, I heard that the -20 do apply. But I must admit that I can't find a reference now.

Cory Magel:
When you get into actions where there is a skill limitation, like TWC or Mounted Combat: I then take your skill only, cap that where the rule indicates (the lowest of the various required skills) and add any spell, item or other non-skill bonuses on top of that.

It would truly suck if you spent half your characters life looking for a powerful magic item (lets say a saddle) that, once found, would not give you any benefit due to combined skill caps.

Marc R:
(Hence the reason I made all the bonuses equal up front, as it adds complexity to what was already a complex mess.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version