Forum > General Discussion

Fate Points

<< < (2/5) > >>

Spectre771:

--- Quote from: Cory Magel on February 15, 2024, 10:53:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: Spectre771 on February 15, 2024, 03:51:04 PM --- "Why parry?  If I die, I have a FP."
--- End quote ---
That's exactly how you quickly run out of Fate Points.

--- End quote ---

We've been through 6-7 sessions and only went through 2 FP.  One was an extremely lucky crit by an NPC 99E Slash and one was a 96E Punture crit and both were on the same PC who happened to be parrying.  Death crits by NPC's don't happen that often.  The biggest problem for the players who don't parry tends to be wound penalties/stun and HP loss.  The other players are a little more veteran to the gaming in general so they rush in to engage the for or to pull the injured player out of harm.

I do have one player who uses his FP for "non-life threatening things" but that suits me fine! :)

GrumpyOldFart:
I allow 2 FP at character creation.
You can use a FP to re-roll any roll you want, it doesn't even have to affect you. You can use it to save a party member.
Each character can only use a max of 1FP per game session.
You can gain a FP by doing something "heroic" or game changing and getting away with it. If you come up with the idea on how to beat the dragon, you get a fate point. If the party just grinds their way through the dragon, or lucks their way into a victory, nobody get a FP.
NOTE: You cannot gain a FP by spending a FP, even if the result is something heroic.

The idea is for it to be easy to spend FPs, but very hard to gain new ones, so if you're smart you hoard them.

Stupidity WILL be painful. I'll see to it.

Druss_the_Legend:
Appreciate the input!
I am rolling with 1 Fate Point every 3rd game session, assigned at random. I am also allowing major NPC enemies to have 1 or 2 fate Points.

Cory Magel:

--- Quote from: pastaav on February 16, 2024, 09:58:12 AM ---The quickest way to run out of Fate Point is characters picking too hard fights. The Fate Point can help you with unlucky dice, but won't save you if you stay fighting too long in dangerous circumstances, but they might allow you to disengage from hopeless fights if you take hint and leave early enough.
--- End quote ---
Where I only allow Fate Points to be used to save you from a 'one shot' death crit, or the like, that doesn't factor quite as much for how I implement them. While a much stronger foe will tend to have higher end result totals and better crits as a result more often, you're still going to lose that fight even if your foe keeps rolling low crits and you never spend a single Fate Point. In the end even just concussion hit loss is going to take you out. That was a bad choice by the player, not a random roll.

The reason I implemented Fate Points was primarily to mitigate random (bad) luck deaths. While I like the additional risk in RM compared to D&D it's just not 'fun' when a completely random/meaningless roll results in a quick death. We can come up with all kinds of varied examples like a child on the street throwing a rock at you, open ending the roll then getting a 100 E crit. There was no meaning to that death and it only detracts from the game-play. Sure, you could 'fudge' that roll/death, but part of the point of Fate Points is your players understanding you're not going to. Picking a fight with the wrong foe and not retreating is still going to get you killed even if you had unlimited Fate Points.

Spectre771:

--- Quote from: GrumpyOldFart on February 16, 2024, 07:31:38 PM ---
NOTE: You cannot gain a FP by spending a FP, even if the result is something heroic.

--- End quote ---

Good point.  That makes excellent sense.

--- Quote ---Stupidity WILL be painful. I'll see to it.

--- End quote ---

:D  I love it!

--- Quote from: Druss_the_Legend on February 17, 2024, 12:57:51 AM ---Appreciate the input!
I am rolling with 1 Fate Point every 3rd game session, assigned at random. I am also allowing major NPC enemies to have 1 or 2 fate Points.

--- End quote ---

This is a great idea.  I may consider this.  It will keep the campaign going with the same PCs and keep a good continuity without having to introduce new PCs or the need to invent creative story lines as to why John Doe is now adventuring with the party out in the middle of the desert on today of all days just when the party needs another sword and board PC.

FP for NPCs.... oooooh that's mean but could be fun.  Why are the PCs the only ones on the planet blessed by Fate?  I may use this too.  Do you inform the party that the NPC is using a FP or that the NPC even has FPs?

--- Quote from: Cory Magel on February 17, 2024, 12:54:21 PM ---...
We can come up with all kinds of varied examples like a child on the street throwing a rock at you, open ending the roll then getting a 100 E crit.

--- End quote ---

I blame the parents. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version