Forum > Fan Created Worlds

Karnorthe

<< < (11/11)

jdale:
If during a population explosion, you get a roughly equal number of male and female offspring (which isn't necessarily the case but it's not unreasonable), and during war mostly you kill off the males (which also isn't necessarily the case but is quite plausible), then it would make sense if right at the same time the males are going off to die you also have a similarly large generation of female goblins who are producing children. War would happen when those children are all reaching maturity around the same time. So maybe every 15 years or so? You'd probably also see an uptick in raiding right before that war (because with all those children growing up the goblins are resource-limited) and of course a decrease right after that war.

Skaran:
That's pretty much what I have in mind and into this I would drop the pc's who are looking to make a name for themselves. Maybe get rewarded (if successful) with some border lands.

Skaran:
Playing around with the populations I came up with approximately 7500 hobgoblins which produced about 3,100 assorted hobgoblin fighters in that one tribe. Up against this is the barony of Highreach with the small Barracks of the Order of Karinak (a religions fighting order devoted to individual fighting prowess). These two areas have a total population of 12,900 which with a 100% call out of all the regular and feudal levies could raise 2,383 troops of which a third are peasant levies. So about 18% of humans (if they all turned up!) would be in the defenders forces while nearly 41% of hobgoblins are fighters. So if I want a major threat from the hobgoblins I do not have to raise their population by much and that does not include any tribes further west.

Skaran:
So as a sort of introductory adventure something like this;
The number of raids by hobgoblins in the Highreach area has been increasing. The barony is relatively low in resources and the baron of Highreach has headed for the capital Almabury to ask for the aid of the king, a journey of nearly three hundred miles as the crow flies. During his absence the steward of Highreach has become further alarmed when a patrol made by the Barracks of Karinak vanished just west of the village of Larham, a mere 10 ½ miles from Highreach itself. The steward had also sent a message to the outlying villages of Eyrie and Garnet Delving but has had no reply.

The adventurers are requested (ordered if any feudal obligations to the baron or the knight commander of the Order of the Barracks of Karinak are owed) to investigate the region from Larham to Eyrie and possibly beyond. The mission to estimate the number of Hobgoblins in the area, determine their intentions and if possible, thwart them without revealing their own presence. (ie if they are spotted by hobgoblin scouts the scouts must be killed before they report back) the barony is not yet ready to fight a massed attack. Then report back.

A lot of this will be on the adventurer's own initiative. If they can weaken the hobgoblin forces sufficiently to cause a significant delay, then it is acceptable to be revealed.

The steward will want this information to decide whether to contact the baron and or summon the levies.

The steward can provide a small crate containing four homing pigeons (these are normally sent in pairs) trained to head for Highreach.

Skaran:
Here is the final (possibly) map of the kingdom of Masra. Obviously to keep size down this is a reduced resolution version but it will give you an idea of where the mapping has gone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version