Author Topic: The power of the "00"  (Read 3898 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: The power of the "00"
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »
  Not letting the players know the crit is one reason why I read the crits to myself, generally. If I do read the stuff it is generally just the non-dead in X rounds stuff to them. 
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 08:46:01 AM »
providence13, for me the problem, well, it's NOT a problem, but some of my friends/players have been gaming with RM since the mid 80's.  The damage results of many crits are well known.  I often change the color of the crits, which has real impact on the game, but not the damage. 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 10:06:28 AM »
Good point Temujin, but in RM spells aren't forgotten, as in lesser systems. This, to me, kinda implies what it says..  :o not that I'm thrilled with it.
[...]
So to say "known and usable"... that is pretty clear..

The problem, imho, is that you are misinterpreting what "known" implies in this context.  The wording is "known and usable" not "learned and usable".  Nowhere does it say that it gives free ranks, as opposed to the 00 on Lore check, which is fairly explicit on that.  As I said, I think it was written with Attunement and Read Runes in mind, not power perception.  For items like Rune Papers, Daily items, charged items, etc.  A character might have lots of ranks in spell lore and therefore know about every spell in the book, that does in no way entitle him to cast any spell in the book.  Same here.  And if you still have doubt, look at the normal and absolute success, and you'll see the same wording: "The spell (if any), is known and usable."  Do you think every Power Awareness success should grant a free spell rank to the character?

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 08:12:04 PM »

Do you think every Power Awareness success should grant a free spell rank to the character?

We can also note that all successful entries of the maneuver has the same text, if a simple 111 is enough to reach the effect then it can't be something as good as "you learn a spell for free"

You guys are absolutely right!
Thanks for the correction.

The Mage has been exposed to a new List, Unseen Ways, which he may learn by spending DP. Either natural ability or a moment of brilliance saved him months of study time.

You guys are great!
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 09:06:36 PM »
Did you have the player roll again even though he rolled a 00?

I often do to see just how high they roll. If they roll very high I would have no problem giving them a rank in a spell list if they rolled 300+.

Anyway its you game call them how you see them. Just keep the players informed and up to date.

MCD 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 06:44:36 AM »
Yeah, it wasn't that high.. but that's one I'll have to use.

I dug around in RoCo II last night and the wording for Runes skill fits this chart pretty good.
The parts about reading/using Runes..

"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"