Author Topic: Shadow World question  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
Shadow World question
« on: January 30, 2010, 02:37:43 PM »
Since I have yet to purchase a SW Master Atlas . I was wondering if SW has a Asian (Chinese &/or Japanese) inspired culture ? If not, what cultures have  strong Martial Arts traditions tied to them & what (if any) available SW supplement discusses them ?
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Re: Shadow World question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 03:18:44 PM »
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any real Orientally inspired cultures, especially on the continents of Jaiman and Emer. The only real martial artists I can think of are the Changramai monks, described in MA4 and Emer I. I'm not at home currently and don't have access to most of my books, so there may be something I've missed.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 03:31:38 PM »
Since I have yet to purchase a SW Master Atlas . I was wondering if SW has a Asian (Chinese &/or Japanese) inspired culture ? If not, what cultures have  strong Martial Arts traditions tied to them & what (if any) available SW supplement discusses them ?

On Emer, I would says that Reandor (maybe) and Nuyan Khom are likely to be oriental-inspired cultures.

And in Tanara, on Jamain, there was the Yinka culture that I considered to be kinda oriental in nature.

However, almost any culture can have a strong martial arts tradition. All you really need is, at some point in its past, an oppressive regime that does not allow weapons, so that the locals have to develop other methods of defending themselves. And there are lots of cultures, both past and present that fit that bill.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 05:59:30 PM »
There are races that look like asian people but none that share the specific culture.

But as Rasyr said, any oppressed culture could develop Martial Arts - and there are many in Emer that could count as that in Hæstra and Tai-emer.

But there are the Changramai monks of course but I think the school is open to all and not for a specific race (but I've not gone that far in my readings yet).
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline arnecooper

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 12:35:09 AM »
In the Iron Wind supplement there is a race called the Ky'taari who are described as having a strong martial arts tradition. They have temples where warrior-monks practice unarmed combat.

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 09:22:12 AM »
As of others have said there are some races that look Asian : the Y'nari race of which the Nuyani in northeast Emer and the Lotana of northwest Jaiman are subraces.

Cultures that have an martial arts tradition include the Nuyani and the Ky'taari of the Mur Fostisyr.  Of course there is also the Changramai but they are a school not a culture. 

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:40:46 AM »
Cool I was wondering as not all settings have such cultures , so if a player wanted to play a High Warrior monk or Warrior Monk what would their options be.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 01:32:08 PM »
Cool I was wondering as not all settings have such cultures , so if a player wanted to play a High Warrior monk or Warrior Monk what would their options be.

Actually, they could come from any culture.

As mentioned before, there are the Changramai Monks, which is a relatively famous school, and whose Monks tend to find work as bodyguards.

There are also a number of cultures who have monestaries, or you could have the player's background having him being raised/trained by a wandering Monk or Warrior Monk.

Just the fact that there are such, and that they are widespread enough and do travel about, makes it possible to include them in any are you want.

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 05:09:04 PM »
Thanx Rasyr,

I need to save up for a SW Master Atlas soon. Maybe I'll see if I can borrow my GMs' copy since he doesn't use it... maybe he'll sell it to me since he can order the EA PDFs that cover the races anyway, since that's all he uses it for.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 02:00:18 PM »
On Emer, I would says that Reandor (maybe) and Nuyan Khom are likely to be oriental-inspired cultures.

Nuyan Khom maybe, but not Reandor which is much more like a western european middle-ages nation or maybe even a more romantic-style  aka: Camelot.

I really don't remember any Asian like cultures though there were a few races with Asian physical characteristics. Good question.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.