Author Topic: Thoughts on background options.  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
Re: Thoughts on background options.
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 07:10:06 PM »
 We decided an Alchemist can only create a multiplier that has a MAX number of PP = to the makers natural PP times makers level times multiplier.

So a 8th level Alchemist with 2pp per day can create a multiplier that has a max of 16 PP per day times the multiplier (2x) = 32 PP per day MAX.

Kinda like a scalable adder, but with more than a single use.

We also limit adders to the natural PP of the creator per day as a MAX.

This means every so often a PC or NPC would want a better power item.

By the time a PC is 12th level its becoming very difficult and really expensive to up grade. :evil1:
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 09:17:09 AM »
It appears that a lot of us have found workarounds for Background Options.  Or not to use them at all. ;D

Has anyone modified the others?
1)More/Less Languages...
         Allowing Magical Languages, one per List, for example, could really boost beginning casters. A Ranger who knows the specific Mag Lang. of Path Mast, could have a bonus to casting rolls.
Perhaps certain Mag Lang grant Transcend Armor bonuses.. fantastic for Paladins.

2)Different Skill/Cat bonuses...
       This is where I put Skill Specialization. I don't think it's in RMFRP, but I like it! Developing Ranks in the Cat (if applicable) can off-set the Restricted ones.. a little. As a BO, it won't be very common.
Even Spec in a Base List (for Magicians) is very powerful, if limiting.

3)Potions are a great low level starter, IMHO. Multiple doses are just as good as spells. Or Runes for Casters.. and you get to keep the paper. :)
I believe it was Master of the 5 Magics, and later Mot 6th Magic that had some pretty heavy repercussions to quaffing a full potion at once though.

4)Loyal Intelligent Animal
       The cover artist (McBride?) must have loved these!
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 01:17:20 PM »
 I use talent points and 1-10 TP is a bonus of 1-10 [matching] in th skill. So I do not use specialized lang but instead say it is natural ability or maybe specialized training by a person/guild/etc.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.