Author Topic: Shadow World Master Atlas  (Read 4178 times)

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Shadow World Master Atlas
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:51:30 AM »
Hi

The Shadow World master Atlas 4th addition that's available in the ICE store currently is the newest version but how does it differ from the previous Master Atlas'?

Does it have extra things to the previous Master Atlas' or does all the info supersede the previous versions?
(I have the opportunity to buy a previous 'addition' of the Master Atlas and wondered if it was worth it or whether I might as well get the newer version)

Thanks. :)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Shadow World Master Atlas
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 09:07:30 AM »
I don't find the 4th edition as nice as the 3rd edition.  For one, the 3rd edition actually has more info, plus the world atlas section in it is in color. 

The 4th edition has stats for RMFRP which the 3rd edition does not have, but I don't find that all that important even if you are running RMFRP.   The 4th edition also does have a section detailing some parts of Northwest Emer, but this is all taken from Emer I so that is also unnecessary.  The only thing that the 4th edition offers that is really nice is it has a nicely detailed large map of the Bay of Izar region in Emer which is unavailable elsewhere.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 09:17:24 AM »
Thanks for the quick response!

Is the 3rd edition marked as the '3rd edition' like the 4th edition is? Presumably, if it's not listed as any specific 'edition', it's probably the '1st edition'?

Do you happen to know how compatible/useful the 1st or 2nd editions were?

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:22:43 AM »
The Third Edition is marked as such.   The 1st and 2nd Edition don't contain any information not in the third with a couple exceptions:  The Atlas Addendum was an Addendum to the 1st edition atlas that contains a few bits of info on artifacts that have not yet been reproduced elsewhere.  There's also a global world map showing essence flows from that same box set.   

All in all it's a minimal amount of material and neither of those editions are necessary if you have the third.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 09:28:24 AM »
Thanks. :)

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 10:18:59 AM »
The Third Edition is marked as such.   The 1st and 2nd Edition don't contain any information not in the third with a couple exceptions:  The Atlas Addendum was an Addendum to the 1st edition atlas that contains a few bits of info on artifacts that have not yet been reproduced elsewhere.  There's also a global world map showing essence flows from that same box set.   

All in all it's a minimal amount of material and neither of those editions are necessary if you have the third.

You're also missing a few Loremaster and Navigators in SWMA3 or 4 that were in 1 or 2. The Loremaster, Navigator and Essaence Spell Lists. ( the lists can be found on Terry's website though IIRC )

But I agree the missing content is minimal ( IIRC I made a comparison that is probably hidden somewhere in the archives ).

The First Edition is the Shadow World Boxed Set, with the World Book and the Inhabitant Book

Master Atlas 2 is a reprint in a book of the two books that were in the SW Boxed Set, the cover is the one from the Boxed set ( and is also a cover used in a book from Alan Dean Foster  ;D As several other covers on SW and SM adventures ). It's written on the cover that it's the second edition. Main color is blue.

Master Atlas 3 adds stuff from the Atlas Addendum along with lots of new things and update the world according to all the events that happened in the cannon adventures. Mine is Spiral bound, and I don't think there's been an edition that wasn't spiral bound. It's written on the cover that it's the Third edition. Main color is red/brown.

Master Atlas 4 updates the content of the Master Atlas 3 and add a few more things. ( like the RMSS/FRP stats ). Main color is Purplish.

514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »
Thanks for the details - I'll make sure I buy the right one.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 05:58:51 PM »
 Yes I would go to Terrys sight and get the web extra's as well as check the ICE Vault and errata sections for stuff.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 08:00:04 PM »
The Third Edition is marked as such.   The 1st and 2nd Edition don't contain any information not in the third with a couple exceptions:  The Atlas Addendum was an Addendum to the 1st edition atlas that contains a few bits of info on artifacts that have not yet been reproduced elsewhere.  There's also a global world map showing essence flows from that same box set.   

You're also missing a few Loremaster and Navigators in SWMA3 or 4 that were in 1 or 2. The Loremaster, Navigator and Essaence Spell Lists. ( the lists can be found on Terry's website though IIRC )

But I agree the missing content is minimal ( IIRC I made a comparison that is probably hidden somewhere in the archives ).

The First Edition is the Shadow World Boxed Set, with the World Book and the Inhabitant Book

Master Atlas 2 is a reprint in a book of the two books that were in the SW Boxed Set, the cover is the one from the Boxed set ( and is also a cover used in a book from Alan Dean Foster  ;D As several other covers on SW and SM adventures ). It's written on the cover that it's the second edition. Main color is blue.

Master Atlas 3 adds stuff from the Atlas Addendum along with lots of new things and update the world according to all the events that happened in the cannon adventures. Mine is Spiral bound, and I don't think there's been an edition that wasn't spiral bound. It's written on the cover that it's the Third edition. Main color is red/brown.

Master Atlas 4 updates the content of the Master Atlas 3 and add a few more things. ( like the RMSS/FRP stats ). Main color is Purplish.

Well a few clarifications... Atlas 3 was the only version issued as spiral bound, the first printing of that and the original spiral books of Emer I and II and Haalkitaine (which I issued under Eidolon) are no longer available anywhere unless you can find them on Ebay. I did not know that the 2nd Edition/Boxed art was originally on Alan Dean Foster books, though I knew they were second use! For the Third Edition cover, I tried to re-create the scene using 3D rendering software. The 4th Edition cover I had nothing to do with. Also, The 2nd edition was a big expansion of the 1st edition atlas, but left out most of the artifacts and Emer information. I have been hoping to re-release the artifacts info as part of a new supplement
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 09:54:54 AM »
I can't tell who used them first, ICE or ADF editor.

What I can tell is that some cover of the Spellsinger books I have are also SW or SM cover.  ;D

The cover of the Master Atlas is also the cover of the book The Hour at the Gate.

The full listing of those I've been able to track:

ADF Book Cover                      SW/SM Book cover
The Hour at the gate               SW MAster Atlas 1 and 2
The Day of Dissonance             SM The Cygnus Conspiracy
The Moment of the Magician     SW Demons of the Burning Night

and I remember seeing the Cover of Island of the Oracle also used on a book, but I don't remember the author.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...