Author Topic: Frame size and mass, balance.  (Read 2497 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Frame size and mass, balance.
« on: May 14, 2009, 05:45:01 AM »
 I was wondering if anyone has created some rules to limit frame size. Why? Well IMO a small ship should not be able to mount something that does MK50.

I have thought about requiring a specific armor belt, in which I have extended the chart to 50% but I had thought of requiring an armor belt of 10% less than the MK# of weapon at TL 25. This is just to make it easy and I do not have the chart in front of me with the fame names. So a MK 20 frame size requires at least a +10 armor belt.
 I like the idea but again it does not really some the problem as a small craft can just as easily add an armor belt as a large craft. But IMO it would be a goos start.
 Another idea I had was a chart that basically had a mass rating at a specific tech level that gave you the max frame size you could mount on a craft. But I have not created it yet and was wondering if anyone had a better idea or not.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Frame size and mass, balance.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:21:31 PM »
Y'know, I was going to say: Just use your own judgement, but then I realized this is ICE / Spacemaster and everything must be detailed.

I haven't delved that deep into spaceship creation so I couldn't help out with this...... other than to say: Just use your own judgement:angel1:
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:38:51 PM »
 I did a little looking around on the net at the Iowa Class battleships and I think I would give them the "Large" frame weapon size. The mass is not exact but o well I will take what I can get. I am also thinking right now that for tec 15 I am going to require about 50,000 tons and modify that number by tec level as I go u. i know again that this is a little low for the Iowa but I think one of the mods I will put in there will tie in with the armor belt some how.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline GalaionEmpire

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Lord of the Empire
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 07:32:05 PM »
Spacemaster Vehicle Manual page 48 bottom right.
Targeting Restrictions for Cannons Chart
Frame - Available Gs of Acceleration

Compact ? No Limit
Small ? 10 or Less
Full Sized ? 6 or Less
Large ? 3 or Less
Ultra Large ? 1 or Less

There is a block of text above but it comes down to if shooting at something under 100,000 tons the vehicles combined count acceleration. So little vehicles can have big cannons but they can?t shoot other little vehicles only big ones. Unless no one is moving.
I use this rule but impose what ever resections you want or lift them what ever its your game.
drrnage E ih unarEy

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 02:59:10 AM »
Spacemaster Vehicle Manual page 48 bottom right.
Targeting Restrictions for Cannons Chart
Frame - Available Gs of Acceleration

Compact ? No Limit
Small ? 10 or Less
Full Sized ? 6 or Less
Large ? 3 or Less
Ultra Large ? 1 or Less

There is a block of text above but it comes down to if shooting at something under 100,000 tons the vehicles combined count acceleration. So little vehicles can have big cannons but they can?t shoot other little vehicles only big ones. Unless no one is moving.
I use this rule but impose what ever resections you want or lift them what ever its your game.

With the above rule you are saying that you add the attackers and defenders acc to determine if the weapon frame can/could target another craft. I can see where that would tend to limit lets say a fighters weapons as they are generally high acc craft. Thanks for the home rule info.

I think I am still looking to have a hard limit placed on the frame size do to the fact that if you try and mount a very large cannon on a small ship you tend to have problems. I am thinking of mass and maybe armor belt requirements with options to move the requirements by paying more money.
 I am also fairly sure that I am also going to place limits of a ship for taking the anti-armor belt flaw [I can seem to remember the name right now.] Which I think is a very good idea.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.