Author Topic: Fact-finding mission: The land forces of Nuyan-Khom  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Wrathchild

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Fact-finding mission: The land forces of Nuyan-Khom
« on: March 13, 2009, 08:43:51 AM »
Hi all

Is there a quote somewhere on teh actual size of the Nuyan-Khomi land forces. Emer II doesn't say that I can find, and my Emer boxed set Booklet "Emer" has gone AWOL. Thaks for any effort!

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
Re: Fact-finding mission: The land forces of Nuyan-Khom
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »
According to Emer book from Boxed set:

100 Arms Masters Lvl 15
5.000 Guards Lvl 3

All with AT 15.

According to Emer II

MILITARY
The standing fighting force of the Nuyani consists of the professional knights of the clans (the number in each clan varies widely) and the H?tarn?s Guard (about two hundred men). Larger towns all have a policing force of constables. A sizeable militia could be called up on short notice, but the Nuyani could be vulnerable to a large-scale attack by a powerful invader such as the Lankani.

Hope that helps
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Fact-finding mission: The land forces of Nuyan-Khom
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 02:46:15 PM »
I wonder if that is 100 Arms masters as in the Mentalist Profession?

That would make a difference in a larger battle. Still, you attack with a manned force of 40k, with another 2k of horses and you will steamroll anyone with little effort. Especially 5100 trained soldiers and maybe another 10k militia.

But that begs the question. Do the Clans not fight as a unit? So you have 5000 standing soldiers that walk the highways and do watch tower duty, but in reality I think they have a very loose knit military structure. The Clans act as Standing Units but are not counted in the Military ladder.

You could go with a war like clan culture and you will have at least 40% of the entire population able to handle a weapon well and ride magnificently. 20k at any given time are able to pull their sword and throw spear and ride their horse to battle. Political games not with standing. You know like "You are so lucky we arrived in the nick of time!"

Of course there are the variables. Some clans are more war like then others, some are focused on creativity and others on the gift of horses. A few may even focus on herding, trade and what have you.

Just some thought from the peanut gallery.

E
I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool