Author Topic: Elven sleep/meditation  (Read 5242 times)

Offline darksilver

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Elven sleep/meditation
« on: February 19, 2009, 05:42:36 AM »
I was wondering about the subject of elven sleep/meditation. Although RMSS states that elves require only 2 hrs meditation per night there is no mention of this in any of the Shadow World Atlases. Also, in the Rolemaster Races & Cultures book (which has much SW specific info) the generic elves have reduced sleep requirements but the SW elves do not. The SW half-elves however do have reduced sleep needs which leads me to believe that the omission is an error. Does anyone know of any reference to this elven trait in any of the SW canon. Perhaps the Shadowstone chronicles can help in this regard; although I am only some way in, it occurs to me that Jad Hurok (a full-blooded elf?) seems to sleep a lot.

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
Re: Elven sleep/meditation
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:00:15 AM »
In my game there is a loar and I allow him to sleep 4 hours per night and be fine, but some people like to sleep and that player can choose to sleep more and recover more hit points.
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 07:42:15 AM »
Slightly off-topic, but how canon is the Races & Cultures book for Shadow World material? I don't have that one.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Der Graumantel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 08:47:50 AM »
I think its not considered canon. It's just inspired by SW, but it has no Terry approvel.
GM does not stand for Gentleman

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 09:53:40 AM »
Slightly off-topic, but how canon is the Races & Cultures book for Shadow World material? I don't have that one.

I would say it is as canon as the parts that duplicate previous 'canon SW material'.

With book in hand as I type, I can say there is a fair amount of "races in Kulthea", "now live in many different parts of Kulthea", "mortal races in Kulthea" and the like comments within the 'SW specific' races (the above quotes from the Dyari, p.19, the Punkari, p.46, and the Laan, p.62).

I was a bit disappointed with R&C because of what seemed, to me, to be 'missing'; for example, there was no mention of the Kinsai, the people of Itanis or the Kuluku.

DonMoody

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 05:06:41 PM »
Hmm, I am surprised I didn't mention this in the Atlases?! It is just now coming up in the next Shadowstone chapter

As I remember, full-blood elves require at least 2 hours of uninteruupted deep meditation (comparable to light sleep) per day to regain their PPs and feel rested, though they could probably remain awake and functional for days without any meditation if they don't need to regain PPs. Half-elves need real sleep (rem sleep) , at least 4-5 hours a day to be fully rested and alert and regain PPs.

Jad is kind of a special case, because as far as he knows, he is a Half-elf. Elves can actually sleep if they wish, though for them it is considered a waste of time. Jad has grown up sleeping at night, enjoys it and is used to it, and assumes he needs it.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 08:17:34 AM »
Sounds like a Shadow World Races & Cultures book may make a nice supplement. Now, any volunteers?

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 09:13:27 AM »
Cultures will be presented in the Shadow World Player Guide.  Now I just need to get back to working on it!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 01:08:29 AM »
Elves can actually sleep if they wish, though for them it is considered a waste of time.

Is it just me that finds it funny that an immortal species would find sleep (!anything!) a waste of time.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline darksilver

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 01:19:48 PM »
Thanks all for the informative replies, esp. Terry. Been running Rolemaster for 20 ish years now on and off, most of which has been in kulthea, so glad to have a genuine 'Amthorian' perspective. Kudos to you for the most immersive, mature, and detailed world I have had the pleasure to GM (and there have been many).
Currently running the Grand Campaign, and tragically Ta'a Naer has just been slain by one of the Vancu in northern Saralis. Jymsan at least will not now suffer troubled sleep as the survivors make camp :)

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 04:51:03 PM »
I asume that every race gets 24Hit Points with a full cicle of rest. Elfs need 2 hour of meditation and humans 8 of sleeping.

So a elf gets each hour of meditation 12hit points and half his PP. A person  doing a normal sleeping gets 3 hit points in each hour. Sometimes human sleeping haven't got time to sleep 8 hours, and we admit to recover half PP and HP if they sleep 4 hours.

Halfelfs haven't got any difference in my games.

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 02:32:15 PM »
Nice! Thanks for asking and thanks for the clarification.

E
I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 05:57:35 PM »
Elves can actually sleep if they wish, though for them it is considered a waste of time.

Is it just me that finds it funny that an immortal species would find sleep (!anything!) a waste of time.

An interesting point, but one difference between meditation and sleep is that with meditation the mind is focused in some ways, and often even in a heightened inner awareness. Sleep is an unconscious state with random dreams. Even if I were immortal, I wouldn't sleep except as an occasional experiment, as opposed to thoughtful meditation.

And of course Elves are only immortal as far as far as aging...
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 01:59:30 AM »
Even if I were immortal, I wouldn't sleep except as an occasional experiment, as opposed to thoughtful meditation.

Now say that in 1,000 years.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 03:59:35 AM »
Even if I were immortal, I wouldn't sleep except as an occasional experiment, as opposed to thoughtful meditation.

Now say that in 1,000 years.

If you have the means, I'll try it as an experiment.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 08:35:04 PM »

Would be nice, wouldn't it?  ;D

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 07:33:59 AM »

Would be nice, wouldn't it?  ;D

Oh No!
I want to die when it's my turn.

Who in the hells would want to be on this planet for thousands of years!
Around 100 years is enough for me! :D
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 09:04:51 PM »
Oh No!
I want to die when it's my turn.

Who in the hells would want to be on this planet for thousands of years!
Around 100 years is enough for me! :D

Me dang it! I want my flying car!!!