Author Topic: Shadow World Newbie GM  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Spartan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Forge: Western Martial Arts
Shadow World Newbie GM
« on: December 20, 2008, 02:06:47 PM »
Hi guys,

It's been requested by my gaming group that I run a quick RMC-SW campaign to take a break from our ongoing TROS campaign, and I've agreed. However, I'd like a bit of help in choosing a direction.

I'd like to emphasise the Sword & Sorcery angle of SW in the campaign, and maybe a bit of the ancient tech thrown in for colour. So what are good plots, regions and groups to emphasize in order to introduce people (and myself, I guess) to SW that can be done without a HUGE amount of prep? I'll have a group of four players, maybe five.

Thanks for your help,

-Mark

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Shadow World Newbie GM
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »
I would suggest getting the PDFs of Jamain as it gives you a nation (Rakhaan) that is very reminicent of the 'typical' fantasy nation, so there will be less prep work that way. Plus, it has a few cool adventure ideas to use that help give the Shadow World flavor.

Really, I would suggest getting all the PDFs of the SW material as there is good stuff in all of it.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 04:45:18 AM »
Plug & Play: Norek
Best Written: Getheanna, Emer Underworld
A finished and small setting, some preparation needed, but where you could put most aspects you described into: Vog Mur.

But I think if you are completly new to Shadow World Xa?ar would be the best to go for. Nicely done material, everything you spoke about is in this one booklet.

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 11:26:29 AM »
Probably Xa'ar it's fine, also Cloudlords of Tanara if you want it more sword and sorcery plus a little bit of tech.
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 07:25:31 AM »
I'd get Jaiman & Xa'ar......and if your want to start your PCs off at low levels I love Quellebourne.  Kelfours landing is a small, rough & tumble town that is typical of a starting point for adventurers.  There is treasure hunting, Sea Kral raids, a spider cult, and an ancient city to plunder....and with a little GM development you could do a lot more too..
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 08:21:30 AM »
I would also go with Norek if you have it. It is an excellent module and has a number of adventures which can actually be used to take the characters up several levels as they go through them all.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 08:29:37 AM »
And if you've got Jaiman, Xa'ar, Quellbourne, Tanara and Norek, you may as well get Haalkitaine as well, as that completes all the current Jaiman stuff.

EDIT: Okay, I forgot about Demons of the Burning Night and Sky Giants of the Brass Stair.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 10:30:43 AM »
Norek IS great......I may waffle on this.....

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 10:55:30 AM »
I'd just agree with most posters here that Jaiman and Norek are good places to start. I just started a new campaign in Jaiman. I started it in Rhakhaan because it is one of the few relatively stable places on Emer/Jaiman NOT ruled by an evil overlord, and so it is ideal for starting players out. I began it all in Haalkitaine, since there is a good map for it and the description of this big, relatively safe city is quite detailed. The PCs are currently in Tanara... I think they will probably get to Norek soon as well.

Also, don't forget about The Iron Wind-- that's another part of Jaiman that has been done too. It could easily be integrated with the material from Xa-ar.

I think the 'Tales of the Loremasters' modules also have some short, one-off adventures that you can set pretty much anywhere.

Oh, and if you're looking for lost technology, Tanara is full of old Lords of Essence complexes: the whole Cloudlords complex, some of the Duranaki caves, and the resting places of no less than four unique swords. (These are high-powered weapons, though, so you'd want to wait till your characters get a little higher in level before you make these available to them).

Enjoy!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Spartan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 09:18:55 AM »
Cool guys, thanks for the help. I guess I've got a bit of shopping and research to do. :)

-Mark

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 07:40:20 PM »
There is a lot of stuff out for this setting - it has been around for quite a while. I tend to find myself coming back to it time and time again. All of these items have in them the bare bones of at least a few adventures. Enough to get you going and to get a feel for the setting.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 08:16:53 AM »
The Jaiman sourcebook is a must, as intoriduces Lorgalis, Sulthan N'Shang, Gryphon College, the Priests of Arnak, and other major players.....I would down load that PDF, read it and see what strikes your fancy, then ask around again where the more detailed info is.

Offline Spartan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 01:05:01 PM »
The Jaiman sourcebook is a must, as intoriduces Lorgalis, Sulthan N'Shang, Gryphon College, the Priests of Arnak, and other major players.....I would down load that PDF, read it and see what strikes your fancy, then ask around again where the more detailed info is.

I've just purchased Xa-ar, so far so good. I'll pick up Jaiman in the near future to get a better overview of the region.

So now that I've decided on Xa-ar, what are some things I should consider when running stuff there?

-Mark

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »
What power level & tone of campaign are you going for? 

Offline Spartan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 10:11:35 AM »
What power level & tone of campaign are you going for? 

Well, they'll be starting low-level, but with a version of the Fate point system from d6 thrown in for more narrative control. Thus far we have a mage and a monk or warrior monk, plus a few others. I'm looking for a sword and sorcery vibe (think Howard's Conan or Kull) transplanted into SW. So fairly gritty with a bit of high-fantasy sheen. Does that make sense?

-Mark

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 10:24:46 AM »
Yup.  RM is fantastic for both grit & high fantasy.  I would recomend using an over casting rule-set to allow the full & semi spell users to cast above their levels to start (normally a no-no). 

If you are using RMC/X then allow the PCs to make a training package and discount the value by 25%...this will allow them to get a few extra ranks in some core adventuring skills.  RMSS/RMFRP already has TPs. 

I run a "heroic" scale of game, using a fate point system, over casting rules, and a combo based crit system.  Quite fun. 

Are the players new to RM & SW?

Offline Spartan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 12:04:27 PM »
Yup.  RM is fantastic for both grit & high fantasy.  I would recomend using an over casting rule-set to allow the full & semi spell users to cast above their levels to start (normally a no-no). 

If you are using RMC/X then allow the PCs to make a training package and discount the value by 25%...this will allow them to get a few extra ranks in some core adventuring skills.  RMSS/RMFRP already has TPs. 

I run a "heroic" scale of game, using a fate point system, over casting rules, and a combo based crit system.  Quite fun. 

Are the players new to RM & SW?

Yes, I'll be the only one with RM experience. The group however, has some seasoned players: Shadowrun, TROS, D&D 3.5, WoD, etc. Only one Newbie gamer.

-Mark