Author Topic: SW PDF series  (Read 9267 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: SW PDF series
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2008, 10:33:31 PM »
Oh yeah, maps. Love good maps too. But please lets stop with the little villages and towns that are unwalled and totally spread out, oh, and where woodlands are abutting right up to the buildings. In a world with monsters and stuff, that is just silly and very stupid on the part of the people living in the village. It is like they are asking the monsters and evil races to come on in and eat them. Dumb.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2008, 10:07:17 AM »
I would like to see a picture (no map, real picture) of all the big Jaiman Cities. A little history about the raise of the Ulor Empire would be nice. Ahh, and for sure the management team of Ulor itself. A overview over the most famous mages of the Third Era. More about the royal lines of Jaiman. A section about the Rhakhaan navy.

Offline dekdarion

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2008, 09:04:46 PM »
i'd buy it too  !!!!

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2008, 06:41:34 AM »
And of course.  Adventures with all the above details.  Important because if the adventures are fairly self contained (requiring only the purchase of the PDF) these smaller issues could be a fantastic way to introduce new gamers to SW.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Tommy

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2008, 07:00:39 AM »
Updated timelines for older modules would be my top priority.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2008, 10:33:47 PM »
Would their be any desire to see published a quarterly Shadowworld PDF based supplement ?

YES. That is a fantastic idea! Doing it this way will hopefully mean a better production value as you will not be concerned with print costs as well as it not being needed monthly. As for what I mean by "production value" please check the Paizo Pathfinder Series and their world of Golarion. All very good stuff. I am actually looking at using HARP for that setting. (Really like the setting, really dislike the rules system  ;D)

PS: Yes, I know I have already posted to this thread, but I felt I needed to do so again to emphasis my desire for this product.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2009, 05:46:45 PM »
I'd definitely be interested in writing/authoring/editing this; I did a little adventure pdf of the west coast of Jaiman towers which was fun, and I like doing the magic items, but I must admit that I drift without a schedule and deadlines. This would give me some structure and inspiration. As for submissions by others, I appreciate Elrik's concerns, and I'm not sure about the copyright issues (just thinking about them gives me a headache considering the twisted history of SW, believe me). But others have written for SW back in the day that I am fine with accepting those I've endorsed as canon. And without the same kind of pressure as I was under then to get product out, I am comfortable with looking over submissions and only including those which I think are consistent with the overall SW milieu. I think it could be a fun way to keep some SW material flowing while I  plod along with Emer III/D20 Atlas layout/next Shadowstone Chapter.... eeek.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2009, 05:50:24 PM »
How about updates on the non-Terry but sort of approved supplements to bring them more in line with the rest of the world? Norek's timeline for instance doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Maybe flesh out some of the locations in Emer I & II for instance. Whilst places like the Isle of Fire could probably benefit from a larger module, there are a fair number of locations on the Emer detail maps that could probably benefit from a short expansion.

Copyright issues with Norek could be a problem, but as indicated, I always intended to elaborate on certain locations of the Emer Modules. I would also be open to a collaboration where I would provide general guidelines and another author fleshed out the details.

(Didn't A.N., one of my favorite authors as a boy, migrate to this as she got older?)
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2009, 06:57:28 PM »
Woo Hoo Terry's on board LOL Now let's see what can be done to get this project started =) I'll be buying ALL issues of it as they are released . <just need to save money & a SW Atlas & other core supplements > Woo Hoo :D
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2009, 02:40:45 AM »
Anything that will give us more gaming fun is great news.  ;D
And more SW material is a sure way of doing this.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2009, 07:05:51 PM »
A suppliment (or series of suppliments, one pdf for each location) that details the various locations of the Ahn .. Anre ... Jerek Ahn .... the bad guys bases. All of the maps, tricks & traps, NPCs & creatures, surrounding areas, and defensive plans (read: ideology) associated with each local would be fantastic!!!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2009, 07:07:17 PM »
In DETAIL is the key here.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2009, 03:41:31 AM »
A suppliment (or series of suppliments, one pdf for each location) that details the various locations of the Ahn .. Anre ... Jerek Ahn .... the bad guys bases. All of the maps, tricks & traps, NPCs & creatures, surrounding areas, and defensive plans (read: ideology) associated with each local would be fantastic!!!

That would be nice. Although I think you'd need a fairly decent sized supplement. Say, 32+ pages, like the "Fortresses" series from The-Game-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2009, 03:06:47 PM »
As one more voice of support I am sure I would buy the supplements.  I own all of the other stuff  ;D

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2009, 01:12:07 AM »
That would be nice. Although I think you'd need a fairly decent sized supplement. Say, 32+ pages, like the "Fortresses" series from The-Game-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Yes, that would be an accurate correlation, though I would hope for much better art and maps than those found in The-Game-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named suppliments.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2009, 04:08:08 AM »
Yes, that would be an accurate correlation, though I would hope for much better art and maps than those found in The-Game-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named suppliments.

I think better art and graphics is much easier to make these days. So many more computer graphics programs that help.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2009, 01:08:34 AM »
I think better art and graphics is much easier to make these days. So many more computer graphics programs that help.

Although the funny thing is, is that I tend to prefer hand-drawn maps and such moer than the computer ones. Go figure.

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2009, 02:30:51 AM »

Although the funny thing is, is that I tend to prefer hand-drawn maps and such moer than the computer ones. Go figure.

Yeah, RandalThor, I can certainly understand the hand-drawn maps- it 'fits' better with a 'fantasy' environment. You know the kind of thing, the old hand drawn and Illuminated maps, with unknown areas marked 'Here be Dragons' etc. ;)

Computer generated maps probably 'feel' more right for a Sci-Fi environment.

I do agree with egdcltd though, there are so many useful graphics and 3D packages around, that make the 'budding' artists life so much easier- Bryce, Poser, DAZ Studio, etc, and most of the sites dealing with them, also sell 3D figures, models, etc. Which certainly can speed up the ol' creative process.

(I tend to enjoy building my own 3D models, though- because a lot of the ones you can buy aren't 'exactly' what you are looking for. And Poser, DAZ Studio don't support any form of mesh editing- and to be honest Bryce's modelling capabilities are a bit limited as well.)

The main problem with them- and 3D rendering in general, is the lighting. There aren't that many programs that support true Radiosity- Image-Based Lighting comes close, but can still look a bit artificial- and the rendering time is horrific for Radiosity.... :o
Although, there are various ways of faking both Image-Based Lighting and Radiosity, even on Apps that don't support them- if you are prepared to spend hours setting up and positioning hundreds of separate light-sources... :(

All the Best,

Kevin.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2009, 05:40:31 AM »
All that "3D modeling" and stuff is way beyond me. (Which might have something to do with why I prefer hand-drawn maps, hmmmmm.......) And the hand-drawn ones I like aren't generally the ones made to look "rough drawn" by a native, or whatever. But ones like the maps from Harn. Their town & city maps (Oh! and castle/keep maps!) are beautiful. A lot of the Rob Lazzaretti stuff is good, but I would prefer him to quit making his large cities to have no buildings touching each other. They are all free standing. Not good, imo.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2009, 08:27:07 AM »
The mapping software available these days is (fortunately) easy to use. The 3D modelling, well, I wouldn't know whare to start. Not seen the Harn stuff so don't know what it's like.

So, when can we see the first issue? :D Not being impatient or pushy, no, not me.