Author Topic: SW PDF series  (Read 9261 times)

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
Re: SW PDF series
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 05:43:20 PM »
I'd still like to hear Terry's view on this. I love his Shadowstone stories & want to start buying what SW supplements as I able to afford them. I'd just like to see a EA/HB style quarterly PDF as a affordable way for SW fans to get new & updated material for their campaigns that is canon.Maybe update the original print/PDF available supplements to what Xa-ar's timeline is currently (if there IS any meta storyline in the SW supplements).That way Terry can publish those things he's been wanting to but doesn't have the time to do a full book for.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 06:20:30 AM »
Elrik -- couple of points

1) ICE owns the copyrights on Shadow World, not Terry.

2) Terry's vision is what guides Shadow World. ICE recognizes this, and recognizes that Shadow World is also essentially "Terry's Baby". ICE  does not want to mar Terry's vision, thus Terry does have a lot more control over the material than you would normally find in relation to such works.

3) You cannot "dilute" copyright. You could, however, dilute Terry's vision.

4) You cannot write a "how to" book for Rolemaster, as such a book would not be covered by "Fair Use". A RPG is not the same thing as a computer system. However, ICE is very liberal in its interpretation of Fair Use, but your example falls well outside those boundaries.

5) The Guild Companion has a license which allows it to produce licensed products. ICE would like to strongly urge those who would like to author their own products to talk to Nick.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 07:17:47 AM »
[...] when it is time for Terry to move to Vog Mur, knock on wood he has a long and healthy life!
[... ]

Agreed!!

And hopefully the idea is realized, because I saw to many good ideas wrecked after the initial enthusiasm

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 10:02:27 AM »
1) ICE owns the copyrights on Shadow World, not Terry.

Sorry, in Canada, even with a contract, the creator still has some lingering ownership (maybe not control or even money).

3) You cannot "dilute" copyright. You could, however, dilute Terry's vision.

There is a process called "dilution of copyright" also The Federal Dilution Statute, enacted 1995 (predominantly it deals with trademark but copyright is also mentioned) ... BUT, If ICE wants people to create, that pretty much trumps my entire point.

I just knew I should have read more before I posted. Sorry guys, in my industry we get picky about what happens with our products, design and work. I guess it taints my views more then I thought. I'll stop projecting now.

(elrik slinks back to his desk to nurse his ego in Shakespearian style)

I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 02:53:52 PM »
Regardless of the murk of the copyrights, Terry and I have had a quick email exchange on this and Terry's interested.

So please discuss further what you would all like to see in this, and we would consider suitable third-party contributions.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 04:03:20 PM »
Woo hoo LOL <dances a jig>

Let's see before I post my wishlist I have a few questions~

1.a) Is there a meta-plot in SW & if so how does it effect the official timeline (setting-wise) ?
1.b) On a related not if a meta-plot does effect things . How far did it advance in Xa-ar from the last official SW release ?
2) Is there things that Terry wish that'd been changed in previous SW supplements that didn't really sit well with his over all vision of SW ? Such as things that other writers & the previous ICE did that he'd like seen corrected ?

Note~ Starts saving for the SW Master Atlas 3 PDF & other SW PDFs.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 01:18:58 AM »
So please discuss further what you would all like to see in this, and we would consider suitable third-party contributions.

Some flesh on the skeleton...in the already existing frame more detailed work to come up with a rich and colourful shadow world...

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 03:51:42 AM »
How about updates on the non-Terry but sort of approved supplements to bring them more in line with the rest of the world? Norek's timeline for instance doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Maybe flesh out some of the locations in Emer I & II for instance. Whilst places like the Isle of Fire could probably benefit from a larger module, there are a fair number of locations on the Emer detail maps that could probably benefit from a short expansion.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 06:43:13 AM »
I'd buy it for sure.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 06:57:37 AM »
I think supplimenting the cannon material like Jaiman & the Emer books is the way to go.  Xa-ar was an excellent publication that added a bit more detail and understanding to my campaign.  Obviously you could not publish a quarterly of that scope...but, including a detailing of specific locations would be great.  I would also like to see an expansion of Powers of Light & Darkness.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 09:59:09 AM »
Maybe flesh out some of the locations in Emer I & II for instance. Whilst places like the Isle of Fire could probably benefit from a larger module, there are a fair number of locations on the Emer detail maps that could probably benefit from a short expansion.

Even if I don?t play in Emer, this would be the way to go. Detail work. The big overhelming stuff is enough. And with this statement I?m not looking at the Levels, but at the details of common live.

[... ] a bit more detail and understanding to my campaign.  Obviously you could not publish a quarterly of that scope...but, including a detailing of specific locations would be great.  I would also like to see an expansion of Powers of Light & Darkness.

Yeahh, for example I would like to know who is manufacturing all the Priest of Arnak!

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 12:22:43 PM »
Yeahh, for example I would like to know who is manufacturing all the Priest of Arnak!

The easy answer is Tonka.

A better answer:
They have an underground complex in Northern Jaiman. People find them, or they find people. Guess that there are agents everywhere there are a large group of people. Some cults probably have a graduation program, kill so many innocent people and we will send you to gain more power! I sort of threw the Baseball scout analogy at it. To boot, if you are a person that has made a name for yourself, it is only a matter of time before an agent of the unlife comes to tear you down. I would also guess that the Priests raiders capture people and bring them to the complex, those worthy become sycophants and the rest become servants, slaves, toys or food.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 12:42:22 PM »
Elric, you puzzled me. But than I discovered my error:

Yeahh, for example I would like to know who is manufacturing all the rings for the Priest of Arnak!

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008, 12:52:31 PM »
LOL
Oh that is Mattel - in Black Speech, on the inside of the ring, in a lovely script is written, "Looking directly at the sun through the ring may cause blindness."

I would guess they have a small group of smiths and alchemists, as all their items are specific to each order. Every other big group has their own smiths...  ;)

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2008, 06:42:33 AM »
So, this are topics for me of interest in any SW pdf:
- who is making the Rings for the Arnak Priests?
- who were the Heralds, the management team, of Lorgalis in the Second Era?
- who is the leading General conquering Tanara for the Rhakhaan Emprie?
to be continued....

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2008, 11:31:51 AM »
I don't believe Terry's Copyright or Trademarks are diluted if he licenses other people to use it.  It's only if people violate his mark and he doesn't follow up that there's dilution.

However, I'm sure Terry discusses these things with his IP lawyer.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2008, 01:13:24 PM »
Actually metallion, it is just me over thinking again and putting my big nose into things that do not concern me. I do it often.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2008, 06:33:54 AM »
I'd like to see some art contributions of major races, places, & people of power. 

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2008, 08:33:21 PM »
I'd like to see some art contributions of major races, places, & people of power. 

Yes, yes. More art. Good art.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 12:20:58 PM »
Good art is a must! Of the races & creatures...oh & maps.Maps for any villages,towns & cities described in the articles.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax