Author Topic: SW PDF series  (Read 9257 times)

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
SW PDF series
« on: October 30, 2008, 01:51:50 PM »
Would their be any desire to see published a quarterly Shadowworld PDF based supplement ? In the vein of HB & EA about 15 pages . It'd be used for Terry & a few select authors to update the older SW supplements to bring them in line with Xa-ar .Then eventually a print supplement could compile the various articles into themed books. Such as a Jaiman sourcebook that compiles the Jaiman related articles  & so forth . Even though I don't own a computer right now I'd be willing to purchase such a supplement.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: SW PDF series
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 01:06:39 AM »
I would love it. Shadow World seems to be the world I go back to again and again.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 04:38:20 AM »
If there is desire for such a thing, we (Guild Companion Publications) would organise and publish it.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 05:43:40 AM »
I'd certainly be interested.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 05:51:28 AM »
I would be interested for sure.
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 06:58:27 AM »
I'd like to say I'd be interested, since I want to support Shadow World as much as possible. But I cant really see myself paying for PDFs of non-terry stuff. (Well, Norek I would probably buy if I didnt already have a good dead-tree copy)

(Refering to the Old non-Terry stuff that is, I'm all for a "Approved by Terry" program with new material using Terry as writers version of Linus Torvalds)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 07:07:34 AM by TomOBedlam »
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 11:10:22 AM »
I'd buy it.

BTW, is Emer III going to be the southwest or the southeast quadrant? I can't remember...
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 12:38:17 PM »
Since I posted this topic I'd buy it for sure . What are Terry's thoughts on this ? Since I'd want him to be the primary writer for this . We already have GC interested the idea,now we need ICE & Terry since they'll be publishing it  LOL.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 12:49:53 PM »
Since I posted this topic I'd buy it for sure . What are Terry's thoughts on this ? Since I'd want him to be the primary writer for this . We already have GC interested the idea,now we need ICE & Terry since they'll be publishing it  LOL.

No, we would be publishing it, not ICE. If there's interest and Terry is happy to be involved as a writer/editor, then it will happen.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Alten

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 01:42:16 PM »
Interested here as well
As you wish...

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 07:06:06 AM »
I'd buy it.

BTW, is Emer III going to be the southwest or the southeast quadrant? I can't remember...

Southeast according to Terry at last update.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 02:59:49 PM »
Ok..sorry for the misquote.Either way I'd buy it for sure.Viva la Shadowworld!!!

No, we would be publishing it, not ICE. If there's interest and Terry is happy to be involved as a writer/editor, then it will happen.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Wrathchild

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 10:33:07 AM »
Very much liking this idea :)

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 10:16:48 PM »
I'd be interested, but not if I had to ransom it each month/quarter -- that method's cumbersome and I'd prefer a straightforward subscription model.   I think we've ransomed enough of Terry's work to demonstrate we'll buy it.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 03:27:34 AM »
If it's the 15 pages or so that was originally suggested, I wouldn't have thought a ransom would be needed. Articles would be much shorter than the adventures in TGA, say something like 2-5 pages. I'm sure many GMs have stuff that could be adapted to be published, NPCs, city details, short plots, stuff like that.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 04:01:55 AM »
I guess I am an internet idiot as I do not understand this "ransoming" thing. Just put it out with a price and a way for me to buy it (i.e. paypal, credit card, etc..) and I will - so long as the price isn't too high. (Like $15+ per issue, as that would be too high for a pdf only item imo, unless it was really cool with lots of great art and maps and such. I am such a map nerd!!!)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Der Graumantel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 08:14:26 AM »
Great idea,
I would buy it, if its Terry approved.

GM does not stand for Gentleman

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 10:55:58 AM »
Definite interest. But for me it musn?t at all to be Terry approved or written. Probably Terry is also in the range between 40 and 45. In this age it makes sense to think about succesors and co-writers.
And I would be also interested to read about different "moods" in SW.
But like metallion wrote: no ransom!

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 01:31:14 PM »
We used the ransom technique for TGAs as they represent a significant outlay for us as they are paid per word (too many authors for royalties) and are quite hefty in size. We need to know that enough people will buy that we'll break even. With Xa-ar, we could go royalty as it was single-author and it was Terry. I would not expect to need to use a ransom for short Shadow World only periodicals - even if there were multiple authors, the length would not be out of hand for pay-per-word.

(A ransom is where a work is held to "ransom" - patrons are solicited to pledge funds, if enough is pledged and the ransom is met, then the work is published on whatever the terms of the ransom are.)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 01:52:53 PM »
I think there are other issues here. By Terry approving things, he makes them formal representatives of his Copyright, which dilutes his control and his enforceability of it. Any copyright owner has to be picky and somewhat choosy on who they allow to play with their copyrighted material.

I don't speak for Terry, so I don't really know if he is that picky, but he should be. It wouldn't take long for miss information, below quality products and and general thuggery to destroy what he has worked hard at. Just because you have 1 great product a year doesn't mean 20 horrible ones will not pull all that hard work down.

Have you ever looked at the Guild Companion members that write the books up? They are not necessarily better then us, but they are consistent and dependable and work hard at what they do. They are the guys that will inherit the Keys to Shadow World when it is time for Terry to move to Vog Mur, knock on wood he has a long and healthy life!

If you want to join the circle of Guild members then write, write and write more. We all love the world, appreciate the time that Terry and the rest put in, but that doesn't mean anyone of us can't step up and make it better. We all have that ability.

We do have the freedom to write our own adventures, timelines and activities, as long as we respect the individual copyright owners. We must make it clear that what we write is not endorsed by the copyright holders!

If we write a how to book for rolemaster, then that should be covered by Fair Use of their copyright (think "Windows for Dummies").

There is no reason why we, the community can not start a series of stories and adventures. The goal is to not confuse people by using home brewed rules, or stating which rules we dislike or ignore. The idea is to follow what they (ICE, Terry) have presented, and have given us the right to use (within reason of course). The entire time we encourage people to buy the relevant books.

Just my 2 bits.

I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool