Author Topic: Library Books  (Read 4479 times)

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
Library Books
« on: September 19, 2008, 07:11:07 AM »
TomOBedlam and Walt on the What to People Know thread started this idea and thought I'd make a thread for us all to participate to get something that may be helpful for GM's.

If you look up Loremasters in Nomikos you will find a book that describes them as a cult of child-eating demon worshippers. And a book that has Proof (tm) that they never existed. And a book that explains that they are the shepherds of civlization and are the source of all that is good. And a book that epxlains how Andraax is a title not an actual person. And a book that shows how Loremasters are power hungry rumor mongers that try to change the world politics to suit their needs of power and wealth, and...

Come up with some sort of topic...whatever topic you think PC's may look up when they are at Nomikos or some other library.   Then think of 5 books/scrolls for that topic.

- Book name
- Author
- Summary
- Date
- optionally a quick physical description of the book

I'll post my own later today.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:47:00 AM by Vroomfogle »

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Library Books
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:58:24 AM »
A concise and final summary of the isle of Ulor, history, legends and facts.
by Iachm el Mottsv, Scribe of Nomikos
Written 6050. Leather (cow) bound book. Hand written and illuminated, some maps. 3 copies exists in the library. 2 in private collections. (Copied and Illuminated by the author)

• Ulor was the home to Lorgalis during the wars of Dominoin.
  • Lorgalis was fighting on the losing side in the wars
  • Reference to "The Wars of Dominion" by the same author. (Losing side is not nessearly evil, describes good deeds and great evils commited by both sides)
  • Descriptions and maps of architecture of the main fortress at Ulor before WoD, descriptions of the ruins a few decades after.
  • A list of rumors regarding Ulor today
    • Lorgalis still lives there and waits for the second wars of dominion
    • It's now the base of the White Swan, dyari pirate
    • Haunted by demons from still open gates.
    • Haunted by ghosts and undead from all the people that died. The ghost of Lorgalis rules surpreme.
    • Just a dead island, but with an unstable essence flow and increased see snake activity.

The author finds the "Haunted by demons" theory most likely.

(Just one book, I will add more, but one post per book seems like a good formatting solution anyway)
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:50:43 AM »
(Lorgalis/Ulor)

Children of the Lords
By T'vaar Dekdarion (falsely attributed, real author unknown) ca 800 TE.
Velium scrolls, one copy in existence. Written in Esran

• Describes 12 half K'ta Viiri
  • The theory of the book is that all things K'Ta'Viiri is infallible, and all others (including gods) are small and evil.
  • Lorgalis, the lord of Ulor, was a war hero and killed in an cowardly ambush by Cay.
  • Includes an insulting rhyme that starts "If you see cay"
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 08:53:30 AM »
Got a more general topic here.  Unless otherwise noted, these are common texts.

Subject: The Essaence

"The effects of Essaence Flows on personal Essence"
by Niska Dobran of Lethys, T.E. 5992
This relatively short collection of scrolls is an incomplete and poorly written treatise on how Essaence Flows affect users of Mentalism.   Half of the text is more shameless self-promotion of Niska, apparently an important guild leader in the Uscurac Orders in Lethys.

"The Colors of Magic"

by Laeol of Nomikos, T.E. 5760
Laeol was a scribe, and self-motivated scholar of Nomikos for nearly his whole life, and while he had no magical ability himself he was a voracious reader and eminent scholar with a seemingly endless knowledge on the nature of spells and magic.   During his over 50 years at Nomikos he authored hundreds of texts on magic, on everything from a study on spell failure to the use of magic in household chores.   The Colors of Magic is an excellent written treatment on the colors of the different realms with considerable commentary on how the caster's motivations and thought can affect the colors.

"Essaence Underwater"
by Cousteau of Kaitaine, T.E. 5223
Despite many scholars and texts on the subject of Essaence flows and barriers they are still not well understood.  The presence and interaction of flows with the sea is even less well understood for obvious reasons.   Cousteau, a Magician of no small fame in Kaitaine, spent years at sea chasing Essaence storms, following flows, and locating Essaence foci.  His book "Essaence Underwater" is the culmination of much of that work and discusses many of his experiences.  Because of the randomness in the flows, parametrization is difficult if not possible and so most texts on the subject are of an anecdotal nature.   There are some fascinating ones in this book however, including how flows can create paths of air through the sea and create underwater air bubbles.  Also of particular note is the discussion of some unusual undersea creatures that live around essaence foci.

"Size and Geometry of Flows and Foci"
by Janos Rium, Sel-kai College of Valris, T.E. 6004
Janos Rium, part mage, part mathematician, and two parts crazy, was obsessed with applying mathematical formulas to essaence flows and foci.  This moderate collection of texts are mostly numbers of formulas separated by short texts that don't do full well at explaining how the formulas were derived.   There is however, a sizable collection of empirical data detailing sizes (widths, lengths, heights) and shapes of a wide variety of Essaence phenomenons: barriers, foci, major and minor flows, etc.  as well as some attempt at trying to quantify the random movements of minor flows.

"The Split"
by Honishka Lokut, circa T.E. 3rd millenia
The mage scholar Honishka was a traveler across Emer, but spent a couple years at Nomikos at which point he wrote this important treaty on how Arcane magic developed into the three realms.  Generally regarded as one of the most important historical texts in this area, this book, simply called "The Split" is a historical overview of how realms developed in several major cultures across Emer and Jaiman.   While it contains a healthy dose of speculation it also uses a tremendous number of references to other texts, many of which have since been lost or are in very private or special collections.   Most of text covers the mysterious time period known as the late Interregnum and early Second Era.   The magic that developed during this time was more structured.  Perhaps taught by the group known as loremasters and some religious groups, the realms of Essence and Channeling formed in many places during this time.  The first major users of Mentalism did not appear until some time later.

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:14:25 AM »
(Lorgalis/Ulor)
Sites of Evil
by Eris Valurian Loari scolar
Printed book, Loari. No maps, no pictures. Written in 5097, reprinted every 50 years. 1 copy at Nomikos, replaced as a new print is shipped.

• Lists over 200 dangerous and haunted areas/houses
  • Ulor is a host of negative essence
  • Negative essence kills all living and turns them into undead

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 09:18:15 AM »
(Lorgalis/Ulor)
Tablets of Y'Kaylya
Author unknown. ca 5400 TEI.

Written in Shay on metal plates. 1 existing copy (Nomikos)

• Decribes the prophecies of Y'Kaylya
  • The world will come to an and the year 6000 TEI
  • The end starts with the birth of "The child of Kuor"
  • "The child of Kuor will rise from ancient Ulor"
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 09:28:33 AM by TomOBedlam »

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 09:23:40 AM »
(Lorgalis/Ulor)

The Great War
By Liras of Remirath
Written on barch by the Erlini War leader Liras. ca TEI 0. Original at Nomikos limited access stacks, one copy made after permission by the library and stored in Remirath

• The war journals of Liras
  • Describes forces, defences and battle plans in the attack and occupation of Ulor by the end of Wars of Dominion
  • Analysis of Lorgalis, his powers, weaknesses and armies

Note: Liras is still alive, but the Erlini village where his reports were stored were burned and plundered in TEI 1123, his reports sold and finally ended up in Nomikos.

@Vroomfoogle - Great stuff. Have an idea point.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 09:29:37 AM by TomOBedlam »

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 03:36:49 PM »
Of Titans & Men
By Terra Morla
Her elegant script portrays the life and adventures of an Erlini as the Titans come to Emer and begin their bloody conquest. Before our protagonists eyes he sees the Empire Grow in Grandeur, then over centuries be whittled away by boredom and apathy.

• Historical Romance
  • Details the start and middle, but focuses on the end of the Emerian Empire.
  • Gives some possible hints to the location of artifacts
  • Details of battles
  • Weird habits of Titans

Terra has not been hear from in over 300 years.
I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 01:30:24 PM »
Masters in the Way Vol.1 through 5
By Master Delkar Lightway
Master Lightway was a common shay that became the master of armed and unarmed combat. This book is a combination of information, technique and why so many masters resist teaching their combat secrets. The book was written in TEI 4067

• Quick overview of the teachings of Cay at the time. Vol 1
  • Brief overview of Combat and techniques. Vol 1
  • 85 motions for a Basic unarmed combat system. Vol 2
  • 165 motions for an Advanced unarmed. Vol 3
  • Concepts of Advanced Defence & Evasion. Vol 4
  • Concepts of weapon Combat. Vol 4
  • Basic & advanced weapon systems. Vol 5

There is extensive debate among weapon scholars to whether Delkar existed. Some feel he was the Sum of many peoples work. Other attribute his works to a failed monk who suffered sever health problems from birth. What ever the truth, the books, when studied can add a +5 to martial arts and weapon styles.

Notes: As with all instruction videos, they will not teach you how to fight, but can help you along once you the basic motions down pat.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 10:36:11 PM »
A Taste for Man
By Bishop Tamia Of Karn, Priestess of the Church of Orhan
Written as a political statement and dark satire due to the Emperors reluctance to provide more soldiers to secure the north eastern region of the Empire, along the mountains. Lugroki attacks had become a daily event, with lugroki actually stopping to discuss the cook ability of some of the residence. The book is filled with recipes explaining how to cook men, elves and others humanoid creatures. Written early in TEI 4062.

Recipe list has been excluded in pretence of good taste.

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 10:11:19 AM »
This topic is a GREAT idead :)
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 10:13:46 AM »
I think it could be very useful in a game.    I'm going to sticky it and hopefully we can get a pretty decent list going. 

TomOBedlam, Elrik - thanks for your contributions, some great ideas there!

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 11:24:43 AM »
I think I like this Master Delkar Lightway angle, lets flesh it out a bit. Pleased to be part of this!!!

Aactos Khomul: Fist of the Gods
By Master Delkar Lightway, TEI 4060(?)
A deadly art form encompassing circular strikes, sweeps, nerve attacks and joint shattering locks. The system is as much a philosophy of motion then it is a combat system. The main tenants of combat, "Do not be there!" which is harped on endlessly by the manual. Fundamentals work on hardening external parts of the extremities. Proper stance, unlocking of hips and passive protection of groin, trunk and inside limbs. Extensive explanation of active protections of the limbs, outer joints, throat and head. Further details of practise habits, 12 advanced kata's (36 actions each). This does not include a weapon form or weapon Kata. Actually it considers weapons a hindrance.

• Concept that all action, directed, redirected and indirect is circular
  • Fundamentals and discussion of the absences of stances
  • Iron Form and Open Palm: How two systems became a better one.
  • Children of the Kata. A details description of all Katas secular to the form.
  • Air: Breath is action. Fundamentals of breathing
  • Whip form, Open Palm & the absence of the fist: Closing your hand limits your actions, refute the punch.
  • 6 inch thrust: not as dirty as it sounds. But deadly.
  • Open Minded attacks: Learn what your opponent is teaching you.
  • Spacial Location Awareness: Never use your eyes in Combat
  • Several Chi focus powers. Also a method of charging your body so that you may strike monsters hurt only by magic or holy strikes
  • Advanced Defence and evasions: To be there is to be dead!

Note: This is an advanced combat system that should only be taught to characters with at least 30 ranks in both strikes and sweeps, or have 10 ranks in each Rank 1, 2 and 3 of strikes and sweeps. There are 5 chi powers, included Divine Presence. Divine Presence is the fundamental ideal that we are all of the Line of Gods. The teaching allows us to tap into our Divine Right (chi power) and charge our body with power to strike at creatures. This does not let the PC do more damage simply the ability to damage magical creatures normally. You may not charge a weapon with this method. Divine Presence can be treated as Holy vs Undead and demons. All chi powers are skills that must be learnt. Adrenal Resistance must be taught by an instructor.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 11:44:10 AM »
Children of War
By Master Delkar Lightway, TEI 4057
An unexpectedly small book for this prolific master of combat, Children of War discusses the ideals of war, justice and death. Personal combat is reviewed extensively, as is the "Warrior Culture", "Warriors in Culture" and the final chapter "Warriors; Slaves to Culture". The book also holds several tirades at Magic and how it corrupts the Pure flow of the Art. This was the first indication that the great Master may have been a Warrior Monk.

Note: This leather bound book is a break with the normal ideals held by Master Lighway. In previous and past books the Master was a sayer of Peace and education. This book holds a great deal of anger. Critics claim that this was the beginning of his "unhinging" while others feel it was mistakenly credited to the Master when the true writer was Master Karif Tanglefoot, a bitter monk of Orhan who eventually became a servant of the Unlife. Still others think that Master Lightway did the original work which was later tortured by a different author, possibly Karif Tanglefoot.

Karif Tanglefoot is now a powerful Messenger for the unlife.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 11:56:14 AM »
Sword to the Sky
By Master Karif Tanglefoot, TEI 4058
A book dedicated to the warriors in our cities and cultures. The author, obviously angry and bitter at his perceived place in society rattles his broadsword at the people in charge and demands that Warriors throw off the chains of honour and servitude and wrest control from the weak. Also in his lacquered paperpack he meters out his plans to destroy mages, shatter churches and burn down the forests that harbour the Elves. The book is surprisingly consistent, organized and well thought out. It is also a bit frightening as the Master sounds quite reasonable in his explanations why the strong should lead and the weak follow.

Karif Tanglefood is believed to be half elf or full Erlini.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 12:59:33 PM »
At Mugs Bottom
By Gurgan Kurnan, Dwarf Ranger of the Chasbin Haven, TEI 3185
The philosophical mutterings of the oft drunk Gurgan bring to light the fundamentalist ideals of his faith and upbringing. His exploration of self is in shadow as he begins the complex brewing process of making Dwarf Beer. Think "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", only with beer and Gurgan wondering the mountains as he looks for ingredients to his complex recipe. His entire conversation is one sided, as he is talking to Katlum Durm, his God.

Note: Some hail this book as a breath of fresh air, while others state "If you have a problem sleeping, give this book a try."

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 01:34:20 PM »
The Code
By Sir Gwandar of Trollsbridge, TEI 4587
Sir Gwandar explains in this drawn out rant what he feels to be the qualities of true Knighthood. Gwander felt that his Honour was unwavering and unquestionable. He wrote this small book to give young knights a compass to keep them from further deviating and becoming "...roughians hiding in the back of the bar waiting for the next Vitim... " Sir Gwandar died in TEI 4616 at the age of 110, his named is still awarded in the Empire and at Royal Fairs, the most Honourable Knight is given the Gwandar, a small circle of leaves woven into an iron chain.

• Live to serve Emperor and Country.
  • Live to defend Crown and Country and all it holds dear.
  • Live one's life so that it is worthy of respect and honour.
  • Live for freedom, justice and all that is good.
  • Never attack an unarmed foe.
  • Never use a weapon on an opponent not equal to the attack.
  • Never attack from behind.
  • Avoid lying to your fellow man.
  • Avoid cheating.
  • Avoid torture.
  • Obey the law of king, country, and chivalry.
  • Administer justice.
  • Protect the innocent.
  • Exhibit self control.
  • Show respect to authority.
  • Respect women.
  • Exhibit Courage in word and deed.
  • Defend the weak and innocent.
  • Destroy evil in all of its monstrous forms.
  • Crush the monsters that steal our land and rob our people.
  • Fight with Honour.
  • Avenge the wronged.
  • Never abandon a friend, ally, or noble cause.
  • Fight for the ideals of king, country, and chivalry.
  • Die with valor.
  • Always keep one's word of honour.
  • Always maintain one's principles.
  • Never betray a confidence or comrade.
  • Avoid deception.
  • Respect life and freedom.
  • Die with honour.
  • Exhibit manners.
  • Be polite and attentive.
  • Be respectful of host, women, and honour.
  • Loyalty to country, Emperor and Lord, honour, freedom, and the code of chivalry.
  • Loyalty to one's friends and those who lay their trust in thee.

Elrik Note: Liberated from Rifts England, just so people know. Not that Kevin was all that original with this.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 04:01:12 PM »
Girls, Women & Ladies: A Pick up Guild for the terminally lonely.
By Gafid Of Brook, TEI Does it matter? This stuff is gold and will last for ever!
This strange little book is filled with such sophisticated pick up lines like "Are you an angle?", "That chair holds two." or the best "My Lady, I am her to rescue you from your virtue!" By Cay, how could you not want this as part of your collection!

Further helpful details

• Bath
  • Brush your teeth
  • Wear clean cloths
  • Don't offer to teach her attractive friends a "thing or two"
  • Sign Language does not consist of you making finger entering the circle signs.
  • Having wine together is not a race to see who can drink the most
  • No, no one is stupid enough to think you are "Gods Gift to Women."

Use with care. Some of this stuff is potent and far to powerful for mortals.

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 04:22:31 AM »
The nameless one

Rise and fall of the Great Empire
by Iachm el Mottsv, scribe of Nomikos, TEI 6053
Public stacks. Multpile copies.
  • Summary of information about the Emerian Empire.
  • Information collected from writings from the protected stacks of the library
  • Multiple theories put forward and discussed.
  • Identifies Luarto Shang, Seer and Keeper or the Eye as a possible identity of the Nameless One.

Nameless Propecies
By "The nameless one" (Unverified) an updated copy is sent to the library on new years day, each year. Protected stacks.
  • All "public" propecies by the Nameless one. Verbatim transcription
  • Ten previously unknown propecies dealing with relatively minor events that has already come to pass. There is much debate regarding the autenticity of these, and wether they were written before or after the actual events

Nameless Prophets
Written by student scribes of Nomikos.
This book is not part of any official stack, instead it's beeing used by students for traning and amusement. The most current copy is sent around so students can practice their arguments, research techinque, quting, illumniation and caligraphy.
  • Contains over two hundred theories about the identity of the Nameless one. Discussions written by several different people regarding the likelyhood of each candidate.
  • Andraax is considered most likely.
  • Valris a close second.
  • Third is a woman of ill repute, catering to scribes for a reasonable price. This entry has multiple pages of drawings and comments.
  • Heavily illunimated with different levels of skill.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 11:13:33 AM »
This one is from an adventure I ran, I will spare myself how long ago....

Faded Echos - Vol. 1 to 15
By The Guild of Shariza, TEI 3874
This eerie series of books deal with the Planes, Void, possible explanations for the Unlife, and even some general information and theory on the Demons and creatures that live out side our understanding. Nearly 600 years, and countless lives went into creating this set.

• Explores 75 Pales & their denizens & Cultures
  • Explanation of dimensional travel, Portals, Gates, failed travel examples
  • Review & theory of why the Pales exist.
  • Theory of the Unlife
  • Theory of the Void & Spell corruption
  • Theory of Evil & Spell corruption
  • Recorded conversations with denizens of the earlier Pales
  • Theory of Existence
  • Theory of Magic, Early Even Horizons/Worm Hole principles
  • Several Spell lists dealing with dimensional and mundane travel.
  • Ritual Magic, circles, wards, sigils, Leys, foci, nodes
  • Tools, estimated power levels and professions to make this easier
  • Numerous personal experiences
  • Mentioned their magical tower in which they charmed to become a power rod for magic. - now rubble
  • Mention of the weapons they created to survive the locals of each Pale
  • Mention of the numerous quest that took place to find the materials necessary to create the items
  • Inventory list stating that all store rooms are full.

Notes: Reads as part diary, log book and inventory catalogue. There is also mention of infighting, assassinations, poisonings and rebellion over a 200 year period when a one Yunal The Red gains leadership. There are no details to why this happened. Only the Imperial Library has a complete set, Nomikos is missing 3, 9, 13. To read this set means to learn things that masters took centuries to discover. With a few years study the reader could come out with bonus ranks to skills and a solid understanding of Spacial Reality. Other realities are the corruption of Dimensional travel, to be discovered, gain the interest of the unlife and many more painful experiences. This quest destroyed the Shariza Guild, and for a time they where a well organized group. Greed, corruption, and the Unlife eventually took them down.

GM Notes: The tower is mentioned to be in southern Tanara, it is now rubble with dozens of out buildings, and underground levels. There are 2 remaining members to the Guild:

Ques the Elf: Twisted by his many forays into the Pales, he is a bitter, almost barbaric creature that now lives in the Elven Forest. He is a powerful being, that, in his mind, can not be saved. he was the one that destroyed the tower, killing over 300 people of mixed races. He did it to stop the corrupted members from opening of many gates and portals, he tells people he did it to kill his enemies. He still has terrible nightmares. Ques should be treated as an extremely powerful character. Ques will tell the players to not talk to "Tiger Black" he snears at the name. He will give a general overview of the area. If he feels the characters are capable and trustworthy, he may even give them the master key to the gate system he and his fellows developed. He will want the players to destroy the entire system.

Tiger Black: A half elf fighter turned assassin. He used to be the captain of the guild guard, a powerful man with a seemingly unfazed view of life. He joined for glory and instead was given the most horrible missions any being could imagine. Although far from mad, Tiger has lost his sense of self. About 800 years ago he started killing Mages that he felt had gone the wrong way. He has tried to Kill Ques a dozen times but can't seem to get close enough. He constantly underestimates people due to his anger. He left a year before Ques destroyed the tower so doesn't know the final days, but can make a good guess at them. Tiger will tell the players to talk to Ques in hopes he can sneak up and kill the old elf. A truth Tiger will not share, nor does Ques know, is that Tigers Wife was trapped on the other side when the Tower was destroyed. She was an elf. Tiger can only guess a the horror she has experienced. She was 2 months pregnant.

My party explored a great deal of the complex but in the end the many demons and beings chased them out. They did manage to close the gate network and ran away with the secure key cards...

... key cards... no, they didn't...