Author Topic: Suppressive Fire  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Jachra

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Suppressive Fire
« on: August 13, 2008, 04:37:27 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how this is any use.  If someone has a DB of 100, why would he or she ever fear suppressive fire?

Spread Burst also seems to be fairly useless, unless your OB is terrible to begin with or the range is very far.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Suppressive Fire
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 07:37:33 AM »
Spread Bursts are representitive of the way autofire can increase the effectiveness of poorly trained troops.

Suppression Fire is primarily an area deterent as it attacks anyone passing through the suppressed area for the entire round.  This makes it undesirable to pass through that area.  It's also great when you're being mobbed.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 06:17:57 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how this is any use.  If someone has a DB of 100, why would he or she ever fear suppressive fire?

Spread Burst also seems to be fairly useless, unless your OB is terrible to begin with or the range is very far.

Under suppression fire, DB for cover and superior armor only counts.  Cover bonuses are doubles.  Superior armors are up to the respective GM.

Suppression fire is very dangerous.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Jachra

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 08:47:40 PM »
Removing DB bonuses for Quickness makes a lot of sense, thanks.
I think Instinctive Defense would qualify, representing that extra jerk deeper into cover...

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 03:18:12 AM »

Under suppression fire, DB for cover and superior armor only counts.  Cover bonuses are doubles.  Superior armors are up to the respective GM.

Did I write that or is it a house rule?  :)
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 06:57:25 PM »

Did I write that or is it a house rule?  :)

You wrote it bro  :D

You even madde a neat table for OB gained with a suppression fire skill check.  I use it, but I doubled the bonuses on the table.  Makes em keep their heads down  ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Aotrs Commander

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 07:48:11 AM »
I've just had a look in both Blaster Law and SM:P, because the OP's issue has always bothered me a bit too (so far I've gotten away with it by the players just not thinking too hard about it!) In neither of the skill descriptions of Suppressive Fire does it actually say you lose any DB - or even mention DB except doubling it for cover. The closet is comes it so say if you don't dive for cover you "chance being hit".

Now, I don't disagree that that's not a good idea (believe me, my party has shocking DBs and half of them have shields nowadays). Was that actually the intent of the rules? As I say, the RAW (rules-as-written) don't seem to suggest that, except in a rather round-about way.

Certainly, my interpretation of Suppressive Fire did not, until  yammahoper's post, ever even consider that to be a possibility.

If that was the intention (or even if it wasn't it's a damn good idea), maybe it should be added into the FAQ or the errata. It does actually make Suppresive Fire dangerous at mid-to-high levels again.