Author Topic: Martial Law - Full Parry vs Elemental Attack  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Zavala

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Martial Law - Full Parry vs Elemental Attack
« on: May 04, 2008, 07:32:04 AM »
Hello,

A problem arose in my game last night where a player used full parry to deflect most of the damage of a Elemental Ball attack.  I know that it says in the core book to treat elemental attacks like melee attacks but does this apply fully to combat maneuvers too?

Z

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Martial Law - Full Parry vs Elemental Attack
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 07:55:09 AM »
You can neither parry nor block AoE attacks.

(No shield/parry against balls)

Prolly you can give a special fighter the option to train to parry elemental attacks (ie a seperate combat style from a special fighting school)

Parry missile attacks for a 2ob -> 1db is a talent. Prolly define a restricted talent to parry elemental bolts (3ob -> 1db). Or let him learn spell deflection from thaumaturge sphere.

The 'handle elemental attacks like melee' is not written in stone. i wouldn't allow to use dirty fighting or ambush for a bolt/ball ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 08:01:42 AM by choc »

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 08:15:13 AM »
choc is correct --

Area attacks may NOT be parried in any fashion.

Elemental Bolt Attacks may not normally be parried. There are some options/spells that may allow for it, but those are not the norm.

Offline Zavala

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 04:19:06 PM »
So the only DB should come from Armor is that correct?  Any of the combat maneuvers listed in the Core and Martial Law don't add to DB for any Elemental Attacks, is that correct.

Z

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 09:09:48 PM »
So the only DB should come from Armor is that correct?  Any of the combat maneuvers listed in the Core and Martial Law don't add to DB for any Elemental Attacks, is that correct.

That is not what I said. I was only speaking about parrying (lowering OB to raise DB). DB also comes from the Quickness Bonus, so, not just armor.

Also Dodge and Sudden Dogde are combat actions that WOULD add to DB against elemental attacks. You need to take it on a case-by-case basis. Some can be used, some can't.

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 02:49:21 AM »
I don't think it's possible to dodge (or sudden dodge) an AoE attack (if you can't move out of the diameter)

Offline Pat

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 04:24:57 AM »
I don't think it's possible to dodge (or sudden dodge) an AoE attack (if you can't move out of the diameter)

I consider dodge and sudden dodge to be just getting out of the way of the attack. So, for an area of effect spell, this could be throwing yourself behind a rock, hitting the ground so you don't take the full effect or, if worse comes to worse, hiding behind another party member.  ;D

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 06:52:41 PM »
Remember that a Dodge manuever is a full round actions, so they cant attack in the same round.
if they have already attacked that round then you MIGHT allow them to dodge using next rounds action this round (effectively, if you are a kind GM) or just sudden dodge as a last resort, which isnt a full round action.
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com