Author Topic: Which system do you use for Shadow World?  (Read 8698 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Which system do you use for Shadow World?
« on: November 24, 2007, 07:39:02 AM »
So which game system do you use for running/playing in Shadow World?

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Which system do you use for Shadow World?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 07:43:05 AM »
I used RM for a long time.....but have used HERO for a more heroic scale game, and am currently working on converting SW to HARP. 

My players love the setting, but in order to use it properly you need to be a bit magic heavy, which means a lot of dice rolling.  I think HARP will help speed it up a bit and keep the flavour of the world too.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 09:10:38 AM »
Started in RM2, even ran a one shot Champions adventure, but switched entire game when I bought RMSS.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

rboleyn

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 05:15:57 PM »
So which game system do you use for running/playing in Shadow World?
I said other, because I'm not running a SW game right now. In the past I have used RM2, RMSS, AD&D2, and GURPS. Next time I run a SW game it'll probably be RMC, but it might end up be with GURPS instead.

A couple of people of my acquaintance said back in the 90s that they found AD&D a better fit for SW than RM was, while RM did Forgotten Realms better than AD&D did, ironically.

Offline Cursed

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 06:33:44 PM »
RM2, RMFRP, Hero and mostly GURPS.

-Cursed
Obliteration equals purity

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 06:52:19 PM »
rm2. I have always wanted to try other systems, only that i haven't got time to do it; and much more less to exlpain it later to all the players 

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline Zavala

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 08:39:11 PM »
Started running Rolemaster 2nd Edition with the Shadow World setting.  Then I migrated to RMSS for a brief time then I made my own RMSS Lite game and ran it for awhile.  Then I discovered HARP, and did a conversion for HARP, but what I have seen in the Bazaars I prefer their approach better.  I am currently running a Ptolus game with HARP and it is going great.  I love to playtest Something Wicked for HARP, which for me would add the missing piece that I need to run Shadow World HARP game well.

Z

Offline Wrathchild

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 09:02:53 AM »
GURPSist through and through here :)

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 10:29:05 AM »
Played SW with RM2 back in the 80's.    Now GM using RMSS though I'm switching over to RMC with some RMSS elements.

Brimariis

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 02:29:35 PM »
RM2 in 90 - 92
RMSS in mid-late 90's
AD&D 3/3.5 in 2001-2004
RMC - Starting new campaign (at least the plan)

The players who have played in my campaigns all liked RM better than AD&D.  They are not passionate about which RM (though they have never experienced RMFRP, nor probably never will).

I have roleplayed since 1980 in AD&D (skipped all 2ed), Palladium, Gurps (name the flavor), GammaWorld, Boothill, Champions, RM, Deadlands, Traveller, Masquerade, Chthulu, Paranoia, etc.

Of all the worlds and all the systems, my love still falls to Shadow World and Rolemaster, followed by Forgotten Realms and Paranoia.  (Much fond memories with Paranoia.  Never a campaign, because you could never live that long.  Just a lot of stupid fun, smart comments and creative deaths!)

All hale Shadow World/Rolemaster!
Brim

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 02:56:22 PM »
I am a fellow Paranoia fan.

Sometimes I still want to get the box again and collect modules.  There is no better one session or two game.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Hawkwind

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 09:46:12 PM »
Currently using HARP. I have previously used RM2, and will certainly have a good look at whatever d20 products come out for SW.

Hawk

Offline Koraq

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 11:12:49 PM »
I currently don't play any RPG at all, but when I last played in Shadow World I used D&D3, and that's what I'll use in the future.

I have also done a RMFRP/BRP (BRP-master) mix of my own design, but it disappeared when my hard drive crashed and will not be resurrected.

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 07:16:40 AM »
RM2 (1998->2002)
RMSS (2002->today)
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 10:11:30 AM »
I have used RMSS extensively to play SW in a number of camapigns...but I will not cast any vote. I suspect the purpose is to see what system that would benefit from conversion notes, and I will not be buying anything for SW anyway so my vote would only confuse stuff.
/Pa Staav

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 05:15:52 PM »
I am curious, pastaav, why you are not interested in buying anything for SW?
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 07:32:23 AM »
We've been playing in SW since I got my 2ed spanish book around 1998, when we were still using RM2. But 2 years ago we moved almost everything to RMFRP, which means we're now playing RMFRP-SW

Offline Steve C

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 04:25:46 PM »
Actually started with the original RM and Vog Mur   ;D

But most of our SW campaigns have been using RM2, although the more recent ones were actually using D&D 3rd. In the near future we will be using RMC.

Although I bought RMSS, and quite liked some of the changes in it, overall I preferred RM2 by a large margin (RMSS seemed to take the already quite complex system and doubled it).

Unfortunately ICE's multitude of rules systems has certainly become a distinct achilles heel, and its continued expansion of variants of the same systems (RM2 & RMC) seems to only be bad news for ever widening its popularity. Concentrating investment and resources in one core system, rather than scattering it shotgun style between a multitude (RM2, RMC, RMSS, HARP etc), is far better for both business and the gaming community.

Offline symbolique

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • symbolique studios
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 09:21:51 PM »
Originally;

The Window

Now;

New World of Darkness rules (very basic version culled from a free book on Mage the Awakened)

Though our group barely ever uses dice in our ongoing 8 year campaign set in Emer.
Jason Just
http://shadowworld.symbolique.net/

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 01:26:47 AM »
I am curious, pastaav, why you are not interested in buying anything for SW?

Since I will not GM it, I use my own game world now.

Actually I might consider it when I am done with my education and have a job. To support the development of RM materials is a good cause. Yet I would use the books for concepts and not actually run the adventures so what system is used would not matter.

There are a number of SW aspects that makes stats from SW books hard to translate well to other settings. From the top of my head...SW magic items powerlevel, SW lost technology, NPCs with multiple professions, adventure design effected by having navigators around and similar.
/Pa Staav