Author Topic: Black Reaver / Lesser Black Reaver  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Black Reaver / Lesser Black Reaver
« on: March 27, 2018, 01:57:35 PM »
Good Day folks,
  Not sure how many of you remember the old Black Reaver Storey in Companion 1.  I for one quite enjoyed it, but then I started thinking, what would the ritual be to combine a Demon and a powerful undead?  Is this written anywhere to the knowledge of anyone?  Has anyone come up with the ritual?  Obviously it would require the ability to Summon a demon and the ability to create Undead.  I assume you would also require the ability to  compel the demon to service.  Then there is the wording, a failure in the wording may result in the newly created Reaver deciding the best way to fulfill the contract is to terminate the person who created the contract.  I am going to do some research myself and see if I can find a spell for this or develop a spell for this.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Black Reaver / Lesser Black Reaver
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 02:58:24 PM »
I loved the Black Reaver! I even put a toned-down version of one against a party back in the day. I'm not sure if anything else was ever done with them though.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »
What do you think of this?

Reaver Ritual

Use: Once per ritual followed, but multiple rituals can be performed.  Enables ritual performer to create a protector called a Lesser Black Reaver or a Black Reaver.  This being is created for one purpose and will perform that function until destroyed.

Realm/Class of Conjuration:  Summoning / Posession

Ritual Class: Channeling / Essence

Core User:  Cleric / Magician

Effect Level: 40 (Lesser Reaver) / 60 (Reaver)
Note;  Chance of success is lowered by 2.5 for every level the spell effect is higher than the caster.

Known List:
Necromancy – Evil Channeling
Gate Mastery – Closed Essence
Entity Summons – Evil Essence

Spell Level:  40 / 60

Power Invested: 60PP

Foci:  A recently dead cadaver suitable for use in undead creation.  The cadaver must be used within 1 week of its death or a willing Lycanthrope target

The sooner the cadaver is used in the ritual the bigger the bonus –

Within 1 day +40
Within 2 days +30
Within 3 days +20
Within 4 days +10
Within 5 days 0
Within 6 days -10
Within 7 days -20

A summoning circle or pentagram for the summoning of a suitable demon created for the purpose of summoning and holding a demon until compelled by the ritual.

Influence: 100 Gold Pieces adds +5; Jewellery worth 50 GP adds +5; 1 bottle Holy Water required.

A Battleaxe (Quality or Magical Bonus adds to the chance of Ritual Success)

A Suit of Full Plate Armour (Quality or Magical Bonus adds to the chance of Ritual Success)

Channeling skill bonuses and any items with Channeling adders

Ritual Ceremony:

-   The Cadaver is arranged in the summoning circle or pentagram, or the circle / pentagram is drawn around the cadaver.
-   Blood from the Cadaver is added to the ash used for the circle / pentagram.
-   Armour and weapon are added to the circle axe in the cadavers hand, armour encasing the cadaver
-   Gold Pieces and Jewellery heated to a temperature that melts the Gold and the Jewellery gets covered, in a brazier.
-   A limb of the cadaver is placed in to the molten Gold.
-   Brazier and melted together Gold, Jewellery and limb is then cooled by the Holy water
-   The cadaver is then ready for the ceremony
-   Cast the suitable Undead Creation Spell for the Reaver Desired
o   Lesser Black Reaver requires a Class 3 or 4 Undead
o   Black Reaver Requires a Class 5 or 6 Undead
-   Master or Control the Undead
-   Summon a suitable Demon
o   Lesser Black Reaver Requires a Class III or greater Demon
o   Black Reaver requires an Ordainer or a Demon Beyond the Pale (Class VI+)
-   Master or Control the Demon

Six intelligent creatures join hands, with the required Power Points, and form a circle around the cadaver, and summoning circle containing the Summoned Demon.

The six creatures then walk slowly around the cadaver for 6 hours, saying in common, “You are assigned to Protect this place from all who enter.  Destroy any who do not provide the (Code Word / Recognition Signal).” Or “You have been summoned to destroy our enemy (Name here)”

Failure or Taint:

Reaver will attack whoever is performing the Ritual.

The six intelligent creatures should have a total base level of 40 levels for a Lesser Black Reaver or 60 levels for a Black Reaver.  For every level below the required, there is a 1% chance of failure.  Example: 26 levels performing the walk, there will be a 14% chance of failure for a Lesser Black Reaver, which is tested every 2 hours, so 3 times for the full 6 hour ritual.  There will be a minimum 1% failure rate.

Success:

After a successful ritual the Ritual Performer (RP) will have a Lesser Black Reaver or a Black Reaver (LBR / BR) that will perform one task as defined during the creation process.  These creatures will never halt their duties, they will remain on post for centuries if assigned to guard a place. 

Lesser Black Reavers and Black Reavers are found in Rolemaster Companion 1

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 08:21:32 PM »
Sounds like a fun Saturday night!

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 02:24:03 AM »
Whoa!
Well thought out, a tonne of flavour work, and nicely done.

I swear - though in my dotage, could be wrong - but thought I saw something akin to spells to create one in the Companion Books(SUC or Alchemy?) for later RM2/RMSS?

Either way, you’ve got something to play with, as is, with the work you’ve slaved for.

Offline Implementor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 05:04:34 AM »
I swear - though in my dotage, could be wrong - but thought I saw something akin to spells to create one in the Companion Books(SUC or Alchemy?) for later RM2/RMSS?
After reading that I thought so too!

So I've spent the last 2 hours looking through books and can't find anything. There are some lists (Alchemy companion, Companion I) with some details regarding artificial entities (Shards, Viles, Solaars) but so far nothing really specific to the topic. Entity/Ethereal Mastery (Comp I) and Conjurations (Comp V) was all summonings and whatnot. And nothing in the High-Level Spells/Special lists in various and sundry. RMSS/RMFRP similarly nothing specific. The Construct Companion could be a decent resource if you have access.

You look like you've come up with a nifty procedure anyway. On a different note, I might be inclined to use a much higher Effect Level, but then I'm not perfectly acquainted with the ritual rules at the moment nor know which rules or system you are using soooo.

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 06:37:10 AM »
Thinking it through, I am in agreement with the idea it should be higher.  Perhaps even level 60 / 100.  The Lesser Reaver at 60 the Black Reaver at 100.  The creature itself is 50 / 85.  This is a creature that could be expected to destroy a city if that was the task given to it.  100% agreement here.  I will follow this up with the ritual I am creating for the creation of a Chaos Warrior and Chaos Commander.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 10:03:57 AM »

I had some vague recollection of that too, but couldn't be 100% sure I wasn't imagining it. We played RM2 exclusively.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 10:10:55 AM »
Mordrig, I'm not sure if this is useful to you, but this Guild Companion summary of different types of undead does mention them, though its list of references cites only the Companion I and the RMSS and FRP Creatures and Monsters:

http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2000/jul/animatedcorpses.html

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »
Sounds like a fun Saturday night!
That's all well and good, but have you actually tried this? I hate recipes on the internet that haven't actually been tried.

Seriously, I like this, too. Oddly, the one point I noted was the use of holy water - a player in my campaign (RM2) asked last week how she gets holy water, and I can't find any spell for making holy water. Easy enough to homebrew (a rule, that is), but kind of a funny gap.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »
We actually require the blessing of the water at the religions temples or shrines.  Those performing the blessing must be Initiated in the faith, not just any schmo can do it simply because they are in the "Temple to Thor".  To be ordained you need to use the Closed Channeling Ceremonies List.  We have made an evil version of this list for those Dark Religions called Dark Ceremonies.  The spell for initiation to the faith is level 5 so fairly easy to come by.

We are just getting into Rituals in the campaign I have been in for ages.  Rituals are extremely difficult to perform but make for some amazing spells.  The first successful ritual created a plague that should be extremely potent and devastating to the population of the area.  I am thinking the Great Plague from Middle Earth.  Casting crippled several casters, I think one actually died.

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Black Reaver / Lesser Black Reaver / Chaos Warrior or Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 11:07:16 AM »
Ritual of Chaos

Use: Once per ritual followed, but multiple rituals can be performed.  Enables ritual performer to create a Chaos Warrior or Chaos Commander

Realm/Class of Conjuration:  Summoning / Posession

Ritual Class: Channeling

Core User:  Cleric

Effect Level: 15 (Chaos Warrior) / 25 (Chaos Commander)
Note:  Chance of success is lowered by 2.5 for every level the spell effect is higher than the caster.

Known List:
Necromancy – Evil Channeling

Spell Level:  15 / 25

Power Invested: 15 / 25PP + 1PP per Warrior and +3PP per commander

Foci:  A willing Warrior and his weapon

Influence:  A Holy Symbol or A Cause to Die For (Protecting Home from invasion, War of Cleansing vs. a traditional enemy etc)

Warrior’s personal weapon – Any Weapon bonus adds to the chance of ritual success of that individual

Channeling skill bonuses and any items with Channeling adders may be used for power.

Number of individuals in the Ceremony
Warriors   Modifier   Commander   Modifier
1-10   +10   1   -10
11-20   0   2   0
21-30   -5   3-4   -5
31-50   -10   5-6   -10
51-75   -20   7+   -30
76+   -40   -   -

Ritual Ceremony:

-   The Warriors arrange themselves in the ceremony area (A Temple, A field that has been consecrated to the religion, etc.)
-   The Priest performing the ceremony moves among those participating and with the right hand on the individual’s head and the left hand on the individuals preferred weapon expends 1 PP for a warrior or 3 PP for a Commander dedicating them to the Ritual, At this point there is no turning back for those participating.
-   The Priest takes a position at the front of those assembled and begins to Chant, 5 PP per hour must be added to the Ceremony from any source other then the warriors or commanders participating.
-   Each Participant must join the Chant “I pledge My Soul to (Insert Cause, Lord, Deity here) and vow to remain faithful and loyal throughout my life.”
-   At the End of the ceremony after the last PP’s are added Each Warrior and Commander roll a single attack roll on themselves, there is no DB for quickness or shields added to this attack roll (Armour Bonuses still apply).
-   A second roll is made for any critical obtained using the Large Animal Critical Results table and the Slaying column. 
-   The GM Rolls a d100 (double open ended high and low) for each participant adding modifiers per the table below.  A result of 100+ means the ritual was successful and the participant suffers no ill effects as long as they keep their vow.  Those who roll less than 100 suffer all effects of the attack including the Slaying critical result.

Influence   Modifier   Influence   Modifier
“A” Critical Received   -20   “B” Critical Received   -5
“C” Critical Received   +0   “D” Critical Received   +10
“E” Critical Received   +20   “F+” Critical Received   +30
“Instant Death” Result   +20   “Damage Only” Result   -10
Per Level of the Caster   +2      

Failure or Taint:

Participants will suffer the effects of their individual attacks.  The Caster conducting the ceremony will suffer a single attack roll from the most powerful participant using their full OB, but may apply their full DB to the attack (No parry may be used).

The individual conducting the Ritual may be lower level than required, but must receive the power via a source (Adder, multiplier, power point provider) or via channelling and may not halt the ceremony at any time or it will fail.

Success:

After a successful ritual the surviving participants will rise suffering no ill effects of the grievous wounds they have taken, and be completely loyal to their leader or cause.  They will become either Chaos Warriors or a Chaos Commander and be available for their leader to command.

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 02:54:07 PM »
Mordrig, I'm not sure if this is useful to you, but this Guild Companion summary of different types of undead does mention them, though its list of references cites only the Companion I and the RMSS and FRP Creatures and Monsters:

http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2000/jul/animatedcorpses.html

Excellent, I am going through this now.  Always good to have a resource.  ;-)