Author Topic: Kickstarter-Field Tactics  (Read 2236 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Kickstarter-Field Tactics
« on: March 22, 2015, 10:53:34 PM »
Note- I got approval before posting this message from ICE.

3 Friends of mine have created a card game called Field Tactics that has now moved into the Kickstarter phase here is the link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1815654291/field-tatctics .
 If your interested in a game that is a little like chess and a CCG give the page a look.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Kickstarter-Field Tactics
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 11:33:48 PM »
Looks interesting. Personally I think they should put up more pictures and text. Speaking for myself, I never watch Kickstarter videos unless there is something that has already gotten my attention on a first skim of the page. Even for those who do watch the video first, the game play explanation is good, but you really can't see anything of the art without going to their site, and the link to that is pretty buried. The rule details are buried even deeper. The information is there but people have to work to get it. They won't do that work unless there is something to grab them.

Quick-start rules could also use some proofreading and clarity checks. They don't need professional art at this stage, but there's no reason the text can't already be in final form. If it's not, that implies that the game has been played by very few people, which means it might not have been playtested very thoroughly. Outside reviews of game play are a helpful selling point too.

This is, of course, advice from someone who's never run a Kickstarter campaign -- but sponsored many.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 01:53:29 AM »
jdale,
 Thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated and I will forward it on.

The game is fun and I have been part of play testing for about 2 years as they are friends I hope it does well.
 ;D
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 07:18:35 AM »
 If anyone else would like to leave some feedback it would be greatly appreciated and I will pass it along, outside feedback is some of the best they can get.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 07:43:22 AM »
My comments are much the same, I tend not to watch the video unless they have interested me in the text.

Also (and I might be being an idiot) it doesn't appear to say anything about shipping info and whether or not it can be shipped outside the US.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 07:54:50 AM »
Colin,
 Thanks a lot I will pass it on. 
  My sister is involved with Juice Plus+ and they recommend that you keep videos below 5 min.

They did an event just outside of Portland, OR here this weekend and I head that they were tired but it went well.
Thanks again.
MDC 
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 02:23:07 PM »
 Here is their http://www.gnorkgames.com/ website with some picture of some of the art work they have so far.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 06:39:55 PM »
Doesn't look like my style game, but I'll share a bit of how I pledge.

1) They've done this one:  Firstly, there needs to be a video example of play-through.  If I cannot SEE how the game plays I don't buy it, period.  This is true of any game... I won't buy a game off a store shelf until I see a YouTube (or the like) video of the play.  Now, in this case I'd like it if the video of the guys talking (doing the intro) was better, but I can forgive that - they are newbies at this and that's why they are on Kickstater.  Ideally a better backdrop than their living room couch and a smoother spiel from each of the guys... I suspect they could have done another take.  But again, that's getting a little nit-picky and not a deciding factor for me.

2) They've done an acceptable job of this one too:  Next, they need a fairly complete mock up of the game.  If you want me to buy your game you need to show me you've put some work into it.  Even if you're using bits from other games and paper cards printed out at home on heavy paper/light card-stock.

3) I didn't see enough of this one for my tastes:  They need to show how much research they've done on determining manufacturing costs and it's turnaround time frame.  I'm not going to ask someone for money/funding until I've got almost everything else nailed down.  What kind and how many places have they talked to?  They mention this passingly, but not much.  If that's because they are still in the process of that, then I think their KS is premature.  Have they talked about different quality materials or more/less detailed end results?  Etc.

4) While it's not a deciding factor, I also look to see how many projects the creator has backed.  As I said, it's not a must, but the more they have the more some people will take them seriously.  It means they aren't just another hack that decided "Hey, let's try one of those crowdfunding sites to pay for my idea!"  It's a little bit, oh, shady I guess is how I would put it, but they could go do $1 pledges on other games to build this up a bit.

Their web page is decent, no complaints there.  Better than a LOT of ones I see from other KS's.  I think no web site is better than a crappy one.

If they can get someone that does an online game blog to try the game out and provide their feedback to them.  If the feedback is good, ask them if they could do a formal review of it, then link it to the KS (might be too late for this).

A couple things to keep in mind, hopefully they already have...

Make sure that they are getting enough money to cover unexpected costs.  While I don't think every Kickstarter needs to make a bunch of profit, they really should try to make sure they at least come close to breaking even.  If they end up in a tough spot they'll have to go in the hole if they want to honor their pledgers pledges.  A limited number of KS's have been sued for not doing so.  This can be tough, because I will sometimes not pledge for something that I'm pretty sure will eventually show up on a game shelf for the same or less than I'm pledging for.  It's a hard balance and I can't claim to know where the balance is.

They also need to assume there will be delays in the time frames provided by others producing things for them.  Under-promise and over-deliver.  Almost ALL Kickstarters miss their deadlines.  Fortunately a lot of gamers, the ones that pay attention, know this is pretty much the norm in the gaming industry and most KS pledgers have come to learn almost all KS's don't meet their deadline.

There are some really jaded people on Kickstarter because, imo, they are not very careful about what they pledge for.  They think they are ordering something off Amazon, but at the same time they think they should be able to ask for more for the same price.  They think if your KS does REALLY well that you should give them more for the same pledge.  They don't understand that all that money is coming from additional copies that need to be produced, just like theirs.  If they have any difficulties there will, at least, me a small minority that pitch a fit over it.  They need to prepare for that eventuality and make sure they approach it in a way that won't drive others off.

Thats all I can think of right now.  Not like I didn't write a book already as usual...
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 07:17:41 PM »
Thanks Cory,
 I was going to ask you in a PM if you could take a look at provide some feedback. This is the stuff that I think will really help them out in the long run.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 08:02:24 PM »
No problem.  I haven't been burned by a KS yet (knock on wood), but I suspect that's because of the 'rules' I have for pledging.  I've backed 19 so far that have or will make it (and a few that didn't end up making their goal).  Three are still in the process of funding (and will easily make it), eight I'm waiting on (with no sign of them flaking out thus far) and eight have fulfilled.  I don't know off the top of my head how many were/are late, because since most of them are I don't really pay attention much to it.

Their (Field Tactics) price point seems reasonable, less or equal to most.

If they take a look at Galaxy of Trian, I was very impressed by their KS.  It was pretty much everything I could ask for (and their results showed it).  That's the most I've pledged for a board game so far ($76).

Galaxy of Trian: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1118278224/galaxy-of-trian

There is one I was ready to drop $215 on, but they ran into (found out about) some currency transfer issues (apparently KS has problems playing nice with certain countries) only a short time into the campaign and have had to delay.  It's a risk, but their campaign looked well done and the game looked DAMN good (what I like, variable game board, lots of components, and it's about pirates!).

Of course, right now I've got a pledge in on Dwarven Forge that makes that look relatively small, it's going to almost double what I spent ALL of last year...  :o

But, at least the Dwarven Forge thing will pretty much complete my tabletop scenery needs other than maybe a castle.  If it wasn't for that I'd back out of it.  They have a castle KS slated for next year, and I'll wait to see what it's like, but I may just go with the Miniature Building Authority for it.  I'm going to have a hard time spending a lot on it though since castles wouldn't get near as much use as dungeon and city based models.  Oh, I do need to find a nice solution to ships too... I should probably stop thinking about this now.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 09:38:36 PM »
 That is a nice website that is perfect IMHO for what I would like to see for a KickStarter page.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 03:09:13 AM »
 The Gnork Games crew had there Monday night meeting and all were glad for your comments and I think it provided them with some good info for discussion.
 Thanks again everyone. ;D

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 09:47:59 AM »
In practice a lot of first-time Kickstarters don't make it on the first try, but reassess, update and improve their materials, and make it on a second (or third...) try. Obviously no one complains if they succeed the first time, but it's not the end of the idea if they don't.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 11:49:09 AM »
Yeah, if they don't make it the first time they might as backers for their thoughts and relaunch at a later date.  There are a few I pledged for, which were funded, that it was their second go-round.
- Cory Magel

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 12:59:42 PM »
 The play-test group which about 20-30 of us hope for the best for them but as you said probably it will take tow or three unless they get lucky.   

The main 3 guys did do Game Storm (Th-Sun, you can do a search as I did not ask permission to link to the Con's website) here outside of Portland, OR and said they got some great exposure, excellent feedback and made some good contacts. From his basic description I was also surprised at the number of people that attended the Con and I think I will try and have Colin see if anyone in the area would like to run a RMU game as I think it would be good exposure.   
 One of the 3 said he was going to try and go back next year to play some games and not just work in the Games Lab, "they" had to try out other games in the "Games Lab" as part of being there to demo their game which was also a good time but he was looking forward to the events if he can go next year.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 03:42:00 AM »
Will someone ban this jackass already.
- Cory Magel

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 08:00:39 AM »
Sorry, I was talking about the guy that's been spamming the board.  The individual post must have been debated.
- Cory Magel