Author Topic: Trade Goods for Haestra (Sarnak) - Kuluku / Ardan City route  (Read 2322 times)

Offline BrianI

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Howdy All,

So I'm thinking about that trade caravan from Sarnak to Ardan City, and what sorts of goods might power it. Emer III notes the exports for the Kuluku and suggests at least a few things they're currently importing (weapons and the like).

I could see a caravan loading up on some good Saranaki steel - weapons, and some other items. Some Sarnaki rice, perhaps, along with wine. The later more likely for Ardan City, along with some smaller amounts of Danarchis vintages.

Certainly, some speculative trade along the way, but to make a point-to-point endeavor, it would seem to need merit at either end. Coming back from Ardan and the rainforest, a caravan would have all sorts of exotics (as noted in the books) - what goes the other way?

Thoughts or ideas?

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Re: Trade Goods for Haestra (Sarnak) - Kuluku / Ardan City route
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 06:47:10 AM »
Not sure if you have these, but Emer I has the exports for Sarnak listed as wine, wool, salt, wood, weapons, armour, steel tools and mercs, and the imports as wheat and corn from Vornia, red meat from Vajaar and grains and cotton from Bodlea. Eidolon lists the exports as cranberries (unheard-of elsewhere), rice, wine, steel weapons and mercenaries (amazons) and the imports as wheat, corn, tubers, red meats, spices (pepper, cinnamon).
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline BrianI

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 07:05:59 AM »
Yea, I saw those (and thanks!). Unfortunately, Emer III and other recent SW books seem to note "Trade" and some Exports ... but no Imports. Not all of, say, Sarnak's exports will be desirable in a given location.

Hmmm ... salt maybe. Perhaps salted meat as well, as an export (they have salt, and import meat ...).

Looking at Ardan, I'm not seeing rice produced and wine imports seem like a solid match-up. Maybe some mercenaries, but I don't want to add too many of those to a caravan for fear of doing the PCs jobs for them.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 07:17:28 AM »
You could have goods transported from further afield being transshipped through Sarnak. The various trade fleets that travel through the Bay of Izar (less likely to include skyships) can be transporting stuff that switches to land at Sarnak. Finished goods from the Port of Izar, Dwarven metalwork via Bentara and Izar, other goods from the Izaran coastal towns - Eog, sapphire, amethyst, gold, emeralds, iron, tin, platinum - and those from the island realms, such as the Komaren Cluster and Barellis, and the more uncivilised islands.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 01:03:21 PM »
Unless they are using airships, there is no direct route from Sarnak to Ardan City. This means that goods from Sarnak would likely go to closer markets and be switched out for other goods before making it to Ardan City, and vice versa - though, some of the more specialized/costly/really desired items might still make the full trip.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline BrianI

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 06:03:02 PM »
Unless they are using airships, there is no direct route from Sarnak to Ardan City. This means that goods from Sarnak would likely go to closer markets and be switched out for other goods before making it to Ardan City, and vice versa - though, some of the more specialized/costly/really desired items might still make the full trip.
My read is that the route is Sarnak to Qye, and then the Cloud Pass to Ardan City ...:

Emer III, p 177: "Also from Ardan City, a road runs westward, over the more treacherous Cloud Pass, and into Hæstra."

It's not the easiest route, to be sure.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 01:45:17 PM »
Looking at the map, once they are through Cloud-Pass (from Ardan City going to Sarnak) they then have to navigate the Sea of Votania by either sailing it of going around it. The former looks to be the more likely as they would land at Dynax and then skirt the north side of the Forbidden Hills. So it is a little more direct than I originally thought, but still a long way and with at least 2 large markets (Dynax and Qye) between with a number of smaller ones likely; either way, I still think that only the specialized and expensive items would make the whole trip. Thinks like the best Sarnak Wine (I think the climate of Sarnak would make their wine very much like Italian wines) or high-quality glass or ceramic pottery (the kind with precious metals and or gems stones inlay), etc...
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Arc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 11:39:17 PM »
I would say that finished metal goods like weapons and armor are likely what is most in demand in both Ardan City and Khum-Kaan.

Another route is of course a caravan through Uj (as per Emer boxed set adventure idea)... Maybe on the way back when the load is lighter? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 12:05:35 PM »
I would say that finished metal goods like weapons and armor are likely what is most in demand in both Ardan City and Khum-Kaan.
But there are places much closer that can produce those items, which would keep their costs down. Again, only the highest quality items of such things will be worth the trip, I think.

Another route is of course a caravan through Uj (as per Emer boxed set adventure idea)... Maybe on the way back when the load is lighter? :)
No self-respecting merchant would have a "light-load", they try to make sure every trip is profitable, bringing goods back from every place they go. But, perhaps there are those who can sell to the Rhianni (that the right name for the people who live there?) so taking that path is possible. I was under the impression that it was dangerous to travel the deserts of Uj with little trade opportunities along the way, meaning very few merchants would take that route, but I am sure there are those that are willing to take the risk.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 03:00:13 PM »
Note that traders sometimes (depending on the route) will stock items to sell at their next stop, where they buy goods to sell at the next stop, and so on, so that they are never carrying one thing over a long distance unless necessary. Of course if there is one break in the chain, their route is compromised...
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »
Note that traders sometimes (depending on the route) will stock items to sell at their next stop, where they buy goods to sell at the next stop, and so on, so that they are never carrying one thing over a long distance unless necessary. Of course if there is one break in the chain, their route is compromised...

Skill 150 logistics :)
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)