Author Topic: 2 player board game ideas wanted  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
2 player board game ideas wanted
« on: February 04, 2014, 01:09:28 PM »
Right, rather than buying rubbish that neither of us will ever want, my girlfriend and I have decided this year that for Valentine's day each of us will buy a 2 player game (or game that can be played with 2 players) and spend the day playing and deciding whose game was best.

I am looking for suggestions. Something in a board/card game with a fantasy theme possibly funny, definitely entertaining.

Anyone got any ideas?

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: 2 player board game ideas wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »
Small World
Citadels
Pandemic

Offline Keen_Man

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 09:37:34 AM »
Beer Money
Order of the stick adventure - http://www.ookoodook.com/store/OOTSAdvGameDeluxe.shtml

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 01:35:49 PM »
Have to second Small World - one of my favorites and quick to learn with a funny, lite fantasy theme.

Lords of Waterdeep - Based on DnD + Forgotten Realms IP but is basically a strategy game with a nice, euro-rules wrap

Sentinels of Multiverse - co-op superheroes card game

Zombicide  - 'nother co-op, especially great if you like painting minis

Kingsburg has a medieval flavor and really unique mechanic - when you play 2 player you basically have a "ghost player" act as a third
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »
If you mean 2 player board game meaning any that can be played on a table, try this.

Beer Pong

My wife and I did it once.  Of course she ended up being better at it than I and I got smashed.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 02:49:49 PM »
If you mean 2 player board game meaning any that can be played on a table, try this.

Beer Pong

My wife and I did it once.  Of course she ended up being better at it than I and I got smashed.

rmfr

For the fantasy twist play it with mead or spiced wine...
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 03:53:14 PM »
Advanced Squad Leader or Star Fleet Battles!  ;)  But seriously, if you like collaborative board games...

Defenders of the Realm played with 2 characters each:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65532/defenders-of-the-realm

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 04:33:25 PM »
The Iliad: The siege of Troy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iliad-the-Siege-of-Troy-boardgame-1978-punched-good-shape-/181315353402?pt=Games_US&hash=item2a373cbb3a

I owned this as a teen.  We played it a lot.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 08:16:48 AM »
  I assume you have played Settlers of Catan? An old classic. I was also on their website and they had some interesting stuff (at least to me) that you might be interested in.
  DC Comics Deck Building game was fun and can be played with 2 players. Legendary is also fun and IMHO a bit better than the DC Comics game.

Also have you played Ascension? The also have an iOS version that is great and a lot cheaper than buying all of the cards.

Munchkin, is a comedic card game that is fun for 2 or a group.

I will try and think of some more that we play.
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 11:03:18 AM »
Personally I like Carcassonne more than Catan.

It's a great game, but I don't think Munchkin is fun with two people.  I works with three, but my group of friends won't play it unless we have 4-5 people on-hand.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 01:51:38 PM »
 I do not remember the name but maybe someone can help me out with it from my description, "The card game revolves around killing 10 monsters (I think) but you all act together in killing them. But you get points for killing the creature, ie people did damage before me but I kill it then I get the victory points. The cards are for damage and for screwing over your "friends" and preventing them from killing the creature before you do. It is a fairly fun game with up to 5 (I think) and kids around 10 pick it up easily and play with the adults."
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 08:46:24 PM »
That sounds a lot like Munchkin.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
Personally I like Carcassonne more than Catan.

It's a great game, but I don't think Munchkin is fun with two people.  I works with three, but my group of friends won't play it unless we have 4-5 people on-hand.

Carcassone Hunters & Gatherers is a neat variant. Forbidden Island and the new Forbidden Desert (both Pandemic-lite) work well with two.

We're looking for some good co-op rules to play 2nd Edition Descent as a duo.
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 08:34:27 AM »
Cory Magel,
 Yes it does sound like Munchkin but it is not, I will check when (if) we have a game tomorrow night. The if is do to snow here in the Portland area.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 06:22:33 PM »
  Last night we finally got a chance to get together and I saw a couple of games I was thinking of, Cutthroat and Marvel Universe vs Sentenal's. Cutthroat is very simple to play and has some strategy and the Marvel card game is fun for a small or large group.
MDC 
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 01:56:13 AM »
In the end I decided to go for Sentinels of the Multiverse.

I shall post a full report and my thoughts on the game as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks for all your suggestions folks.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 10:40:36 PM »
Yes, please keep the suggestions coming! The wife and I are also looking for some good games.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 12:32:29 AM »
Yes Sentanals is a favorate of ours also.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 01:04:53 PM »
Ok, here is my review of sentinels of the mutliverse. Let me preface it by saying that I had no prior knowledge of it and very little knowledge of card/board/tabletop games beyond my (apparently very small) sphere of experience.

Sentinels of the multiverse is a card game for... well, amazon says 2-5 (the game says nothing) but I think, with the set I bought you could go as far as 11 players if you were so inclined. I bought (what is apparently) the enhanced edition and the first thing that struck me was the size of it. I thought I had purchased a small game about the size of a deck of cards, but it isn't. It comes in (and here I sound a bit weird) a beautiful (but noticeably big) box. At first inspection the game seemed unfathomable, my particular brand of skim reading/ignoring the rules and hastily unpacking everything in the box did not stand me in good stead, but eventually I got there.

Now onto the game: Without giving too much away, the game is that you (and the other players) pick a hero each to play and a villain to fight and an environment to battle in. You follow a sequence of plays, using various types of cards to combat your foe and deal with the unpredictable things that they and the environment throw at you. The heroes fight as a team and ultimately they win or lose together.

The cards themselves are very cool. They look great and the fact they come with dividers so that you can keep each hero, villain and environment separate is a great addition. The set I bought comes with 10 heroes, 4 villains and 4 environments which allows each game to be as different to the last as you want. You can also buy add ons which I'm lead to believe introduce new characters, environments and in some cases rules. The gameplay is a little tricky to pick up if you're a novice like me. The rule book isn't much help at answering a lot of questions and there are (in my opinion) some glaring omissions. As there was no mention of reintroducing the discard pile back into play once you had used them all, my girlfriend and I played a long game to the conclusion that neither we heroes nor the villain had anything that could do any harm to anyone else anymore and so we all went home for a tea and scones.

That one fault aside the game is great. My girlfriend and I haven't yet got the hang of working together properly, instead just inflicting whatever damage we can on the villain and his cronies, but it doesn't detract from the fun. Each hero and villain has their own abilities and strengths which means that if you chose poorly, it is an awful lot harder to win, which for me makes it all the more fun.

So to sum up, I really like this game. It is fiddly and long winded in places and confusing in others but it is definitely not boring. It is action packed and genuinely had me on the edge of my seat at points when the wrong card from the villain could make or break the whole game. I recommend it and I will no doubt be buying some ad ons very soon.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »
my girlfriend and I played a long game to the conclusion that neither we heroes nor the villain had anything that could do any harm to anyone else anymore and so we all went home for a tea and scones.

I think I would read that comic. ;)

Also, it sounds fun, thanks for the review. May have to look into it myself.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster