Author Topic: Survivorman  (Read 1328 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Survivorman
« on: November 30, 2013, 08:14:32 PM »
The cable tv show "Survivorman" is a good source of inspiration for how to run a disaster survival scenario for your games.  Les Stroud is the host, and he is a professional in the field.  Some of the things he says are always a factor:

• Weather
  • Predators
  • Injury
  • Dehydration and Disease
  • Disorientation
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Survivorman
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »
Hypothermia is a big one too.  He spends a lot of time explaining that in a cold environment you don't want to exert yourself so much that you start to sweat.  Er, although I guess that does kinda go along with #1.

And may I say, Les Stroud would out-survive Bear Grylls any day of the year. ;)
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:47:52 AM »
I'd like to see Les Stroud, Bear Grylls and Mykel Hawke try to out-survive each other.  So much testosterone in one place that the forest would burst into flames.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 09:12:06 AM »
Hey, what about Cody Lundin, or Dave Canterbury?
 ;D
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 01:02:40 PM »
I'd like to see Les Stroud, Bear Grylls and Mykel Hawke try to out-survive each other.
Now there's a reality show I'd watch! Great idea.

If you were stranded which one would you want next to you is the question.  I would always put my money on Les without hesitation.  The guy does it by himself.  Not even a camera man.  All those shots of him climbing, walking, etc, he has to do twice... cause he's gotta come back for the camera!  He doesn't say "you could eat this..."  he does.  The man walks the walk.  And now he's done a number of ten day shows.  How long are those other guys out there?  I bet if you dropped Bear Grylls off in Norway in the dead of winter and came back ten days later you'd find a popsicle, if you found him at all. ;)

All those other shows have a crew and if those guys are really in a bad way they can fall back on that crew.  You can't tell me they haven't been handed an energy bar, some water, or lighter off camera when things are bad.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 01:41:02 PM »
I'd like to see Les Stroud, Bear Grylls and Mykel Hawke try to out-survive each other.
Now there's a reality show I'd watch! Great idea.

If you were stranded which one would you want next to you is the question.  I would always put my money on Les without hesitation.

Oh yeah!  He puts Bear Grylls to shame.  Bear usually just makes it look like he is camping out there in the wilderness, but often times he (and his camera crew) go back to civilization for the night when they are done filming, whereas Les is out there by himself with no help for usually a week at a time.  Not very familiar with the other guys, but if I had to be stranded in just about any wilderness environment with any of them I'd certainly rather be there with Les. 
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 07:40:50 PM »
If I were you I'd think about that again...
You'd rather be stuck with a guy who is alone in the wilderness???
I'd rather be stuck with the guy who has a full film crew and the ability to head back to a hotel for a warm shower and soft mattress (not to mention a pint or two).  ;)
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 12:34:48 AM »
I said if you were stranded! Not a few minutes away from nearest Motel 6. ;)

In his first filmed show Les spent almost 11 hours trying to start a fire.  Hardest time he'd ever had doing it.  I don't believe for a second Bear wouldn't be asking for a lighter after a couple hours. Hehe.
- Cory Magel