Author Topic: Shadow World/Rolemaster artifacts  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Shadow World/Rolemaster artifacts
« on: September 01, 2013, 02:52:32 AM »
As I dig through my old dead website, I'll be posting some odd artifacts that I created for the site. A few may appear later in books, but for now, here's a free bonus for fans. (Feel free to share on the RM section as well)
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Shadow World/Rolemaster artifacts
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 02:55:29 AM »
Magic Item: The Jade Mantis

A beautiful figurine of a praying mantis made of a greenish metal with a soft sheen and inlays of jade in the thorax, abdomen, and the front pincers. The eyes are emeralds with hundreds of tiny facets. The forewings pivot forward away from the long slender abdomen. It is about five inches long.

The mantis is part of a set of four insect figurines (the others being a jade beetle, a jade scorpion and a jade spider) made by the female artisan/alchemist Artesia Gogoloria, a Dyar Elf who reputedly still resides in Skystone City in NW Emer. All the items included a curse that made them perilous for men to use.

Powers of the Jade Mantis

1. When the forewings are rotated forward, the mantis transforms into a real giant praying mantis over twelve feet long. It is semi-intelligent, will obey whoever opened the wings, and will bear one rider at up to fifty mph airborne. The mantis can be activated once per week, and can remain in its live form for up to one hour before changing back.
2. The mantis will not attack (except in the curse as noted below), but will defend itself if attacked. If it goes over maximum hits, it transforms back to its figurine form and cannot be used for one month (70 days Kulthean calendar).
3. Curse: each time the Mantis’ time runs out or it is commanded to return to its statuette form, there is a 20% chance that it will attack whoever activated it, but only if he is male. If it successfully grasps its prey in its powerful forelegs, it will bite his neck, and if it gets an “E” critical on the pincher attack, his head is severed. It will then suck the blood out of the body. The mantis must feed periodically or it will revert permanently to its figurine state (feeding needs GM discretion). This is not a removable curse; it is part of the nature of the item. However, a successful Remove Curse will cancel the mantis’ attack for this one instance and cause it to revert to figurine form without any ill effects.

Stats of the Mantis:
Lvl: 15
Max Pace/Mnvr: Fspt/20
Hits: 150
AT(DB): 11 (60)
Attack: 100Gr/90Pi/60sl
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 06:06:38 AM »
Nice, I love unique magic items.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 01:28:33 PM »
Yeah, especially if they take forms that are a bit different from the normal weapon, armor, clothes, etc...

I also like items of a more civilian nature, things that would be used at home or at a non-combat/military job; such as a magical loom or tailors kits. Have anything like that?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 07:07:13 PM »
 I know that in the past I copied the Jade Mantis into my SW artifact text doc and now that I have my main PC up and running I can find the doc and add to it. 8)
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.